X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbart
    • Jan 2003

1068 Bass Management Confusion

Ok, if I set the master sub crossover to 100hz in the in the subwoofer setup menu and set all my small speakers to 80hz in the advanced speaker setup menu, what is really happening?
    Everything below 100hz goes to sub and everything above 100hz gets high passed to my small speakers? Or, is everything below 80hz going to the sub and everything above 80hz is high passed to my small speakers?

Dave
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Dave,

I have tweaked for a few years and I have found the following Xover configuration to my liking:

Fronts: 60Hz
    Sub: 80Hz
    Center: 80Hz
    Rears: 80Hz
    CBs: 80Hz

All speakers have been set to small (others prefer large settings), but of course this can vary depending on equipment, room acoustics, etc. Once you have completed your Speaker calibrations via an SPL, the fine tuning is a matter of personal preference.

Your mileage may vary, listen for yourself.

The speaker calibration/delays, however are very critical, and should be completed, before any fine tuning.

Just my quick thoughts.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• dbart
      • Jan 2003

To be more clear in my first post, basically I would like to know which low pass frequency is being used when the sub crossover is set different (i.e. 100hz) than the speakers, when all speakers are set small and the same cossover (i.e. 80 hz) is used for each speaker.

The manual is not clear to me what is actually happening here.

Dave
      Last edited by dbart; 16 May 2004, 08:17 Sunday.

Comment

• eddyg
        • Mar 2004

The way I thought it worked

Hi,

I don't know this for sure, but I've always interpreted it as follows, if you set your speakers to small and set the cross-over frequency to 80Hz then I expect all signals at a frequency below 80Hz for that speaker to be redirected to the sub. For the sub, if you set your cross-over frequency to be 100Hz then I expect all ".1" signals above 100Hz to be discarded in addition to any signals redirected to that sub from other speakers with frequencies over 100Hz.

In your case because the 80Hz is below the 100Hz for the sub there shouldn't be any confusion. If the 80Hz were 120Hz then that could cause confusion because you're directing frequencies to the sub at a higher frequency that you have requested for that sub. I anticipate that the difference would be discarded, i.e. you would lose the 20Hz between the speakers and the sub.

Cheers, Edward.

Comment

• dbart
          • Jan 2003

eddyg,

That seems to make sense.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"