X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Wishlist for future Rotel products

With all the wishlist on this forum, there is one thing that I think everybody have forgotten - The REMOTE.
    When I buy a Rotel product like the 1066 or similar, that comes with a remote that can be programed, then I expect that it is at least set up to control Rotel products.
    Have the 1066 preamp - but the remote can not control my 1080 DVD. I can not even load a Rotel image for my Rotel products :M .

This they need to do better!
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

hmmmm....

I though Video 1 was programmed for Rotel Dvd......

Rotel should be :smackbutt: for that!!! :lol:
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

ROTEL Remote wishlist

LOL, I just have to say this... (and I hope ROTEL read this too!)

I absolutely love the way that my ROTEL 1066/1075 looks, it is the center piece in my living room and I commend ROTEL on a superb job.........but that remote control *UGH* SO (excuse me) FUGLYYY!!! - who designs these things? - a nice matching silver alloy type with blue LED remote can't be too hard to make? --> Honestly I nearly didn't buy the ROTEL gear initially because of the remote/s (not to mention the RVD1060's remote, the worst of the lot!)

IMO the remote control is probably the one thing that you use the most! I will be the first to buy a shwanky (hopefully alloy/jewel encrusted :W ) remote from ROTEL, should they ever release one!

(admittedly I am very much one for aesthetics which makes me a superficial fusspot...but I doubt that I am alone! :W )
      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Actually ti33er...

You' re right....the remote is :throwup:
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• ti33er
          • Apr 2004

Wishlist Remote Control design

LOL, Bam!

I was thinking, something along the lines of this, perhaps with white opaque buttons that can be backlit! ? ? ?

Can anyone here "influence" ROTEL's design team?

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

Actually, Rotel does have a nice remote :

But it only comes with the RSXD-02. But I personally think it should come with all HT equipment.
            Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• aramb
              • Apr 2003

I replaced all my ugly Rotel remotes with one, nice, easy to use, Universal Remote MX-800!!!

Comment

• Spurt
                • Apr 2004

In Denmark you can buy the RC-1070 remote with out the RSXD-02

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Well, I actually use a Marantz RC5000i - but Rotel should support their own products...

Comment

• ti33er
                    • Apr 2004

Rsxd-02 ?

Hi Eelco74! ...where is this RSXD-02 / RC-1070 on ROTEL's website? I can't find any links to this? Thanks, Paul

Comment

• eelco74
                      • Dec 2002

ÃŒt should be RR-1070 for the remote, but you can't find andy info on Rotels website. They are a bit behind on that. But the manual can be found in the site : http://www.rotel.com/support/pdfs/manuals/rr1070.pdf

I have seen it already, and it looks very nice. It also feels very well made.

the info on the RSXD-02 can be found on : http://europe.rotel.com/products/specs/rsdx02.htm
                      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                        • May 2004

Rotel has put in significant time creating RS-232 and discrete IR capabililties for the vast majority of their 10-series products. Consequently, it appears that the remotes are an afterthought.

The upside is that Rotel plays well with universal remotes and even better with control systems (view on-screen volume, current source selected, current radio station, etc...)

For products that cost in excess of $1500, a proper 232 command set is typically more valuable than a "nice" remote.

Comment

• JoeHard
                          • Jan 2004

I couldn't agree more about Rotel remotes. I replaced My Marantz pre-pro with a RSP 1066. While I have been happy with the `1066 , the remote can't touch the RC 2000 MKII remote that came with the Marantz, and that was 6 years ago. I too will look for a universal from another manufacturer but I feel a company with Rotel's reputation would include a better remote, especially at this price point.

Comment

• ti33er
                            • Apr 2004

mmm IMO I still think that ROTEL could do a MUCH better remote - there is no excuse, as previously mentioned, "at this price bracket" - if they are too busy, perhaps they should outsource the remote manufacturing(?) - the remote control is the component that is used more than anything else, and I doubt that the "majority" of ROTEL users use the RS232!? :W

Comment

• Stevebez
                              • Oct 2003

Externally sourced

Seems to me the standard series 10 remote is already an outsourced product and is really poor. Compare this remote to a B&O's remote - day and night. They are probably better off not shipping the unit with a remote and chopping the prx down - problem is the remote is so poor it will probably not result in any saving at all.

Regards Steve

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Indeed, I concur, the remote which came with my 1098 is not what I consider technologically advanced.

I actually utilize my previous remote (Yamaha RAV-2000) and have programmed my RR-1050 remote for redundancy. I liked the RR-1090, at least asthetically, better that the RR-1050, however I am not aware of it's functionality.

Perhaps Geoff and Andrew will offer their ensight/thoughts.

Regards,

Azeke
                                Last edited by Azeke; 18 May 2004, 09:53 Tuesday.

Comment

• Glenn
                                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by aarsoe
                                  With all the wishlist on this forum, there is one thing that I think everybody have forgotten - The REMOTE. This they need to do better!
                                  Good point! I, too, agree! I've been using the 1050 remote with both the RSX-1055 and now the RSP-1068. It is big, clunky, and in need of improvement. Especially all the double purpose buttons under the slide panel.

Has anyone else seen the new remotes that come with the new Classe products? Those look very cool. I haven't used one, so don't know how functional they are, but asthetically they are a thumbs up. Hmmmm, aren't Classe, Rotel and B&W all under the same ownership now? Maybe Classe designers can update the Rotel remote for us

Anyway, I think a good point has been made about the current Rotel remote. The actual components themselves, sure look good, though!

Comment

• DrBoom
                                    • Dec 2003

Maybe Classe designers can update the Rotel remote for us
                                    Good lord no !
                                    Have you ever seen or held a Classé remote ?
                                    It's a big chunk of metal, with those buttons that make a clicky sound when you press them, and no backlighting what so ever.
                                    Classé remotes are fine for stereo components, but I don't fancy using one of those for HT processors.
                                    The most idiotic remote i've ever seen is the one Musical Fidelity ships with their KWp pre-amplifier.
                                    It's as big as a brick and weighs even more, no kidding !
                                    But it's true, Rotel remotes aren't that good (functionality wise).
                                    And they seem to miss a LOT of buttons, there's a ton of stuff you can't access directly, like where's the button for DTS Neo:6, or the music modes, ...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Personally I've never used the Rotel remotes as I'm a die hard pronto user...I guess I should spend some time with it though given my role here though ops: I do agree though they aren't the most intuitive remote out there...but then let me ask you this...which company's receiver ships with a better remote? I know the Denon and HK's suck just as badly. Sony tends to make a decent remote but the last one I had for a pre amp shipped with the TA-E9000ES and it was a horrible LCD monster

Comment

• Glenn
                                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by DrBoom
                                        Classé remote ?
                                        It's a big chunk of metal, ... or the music modes, ...
                                        The new Classe remotes are the brushed aluminum cylindrical ones. Are those the ones that you've used that are not very good? The ones that are for their brand new product line-up (not on their website yet). Again, I haven't used them, but thought they looked cool at least. Difficult to design a good remote it seems, but looks like more and more are agreeing that the Rotel remote could use some "help".

As for the music modes, they can be accessed by the buttons located underneath the sliding cover on the 1050 Rotel remote. Not that this makes me like the remote overall any better.

Comment

• DrBoom
                                          • Dec 2003

I haven't seen the remotes that they will be shipping with their new Delta series yet, I was referring to the "old" remotes.
                                          Like these that came with their current line of pre/pro's.

My idea of a perfect remote is the one I already have, a Marantz RC2000 MkII.
                                          Lots of hardbuttons, and a big LCD for programming those special function buttons they don't include on standard hardbuttons.
                                          I don't like touchscreen remotes myself, simply because I like to be able to feel my way around the remote in complete darkness, without having to look at it.
                                          Especially for changing channels on the TV, I'd hate having to look at the touchscreen to see where the "keys" are every time.
                                          The only big benefit I can see to touchscreens, is the unlimited amount of macro's you can make, which is very handy for complex systems that require you to switch at least 10 things in order to be able to watch a DVD.
                                          That and total customisation if you want.
                                          Another example of a remote I like is the HomeTheatreMaster MX700, like Parasound uses for their C2 controller.
                                          Same principle as my Marantz, lotsa buttons and a big LCD.

Comment

• GregoriusM
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2000

Personally, I think that the remotes included with ANY piece of equipment that is going into a home theater should be well made and functional, but that not a whole lot of money should be put into it.

Almost everyone likes their own "style" of remote and therefore purchase a universal remote for the purpose of controlling their entire home theater, home automation, etc.

So, IF it would mean an increase in the price of the gear, then I'm totally against providing for more than a decent, functional remote from which I can learn the codes to put into my universal remote.

Your universal remote control is the way you command your "star ship", so to speak. You should only really need ONE remote to command it all. The rest should be there for backup.

So, I disagree with most. Please don't add to the cost of Rotel gear by providing more costly remotes. Better layout? Yes. That goes to functionality. Discrete codes for EVERYTHING possible on the gear? YES!!!

But, keep the price as far down as possible and let us spend our money on a good quality, well-thought-out, STAR SHIP COMMANDER that we really like for its looks and most importantly, its functionality. That way, we don't have to rely on any particular manufacturer for their idea of the perfect remote - we can just use the remote to program OUR IDEA of the perfect remote - or as close to that as we can get - which is a good universal remote.

YMMV!

Greg
                                            Gregor

Comment

• aarsoe
                                              • May 2004

Well I guess the subject hit home - at least if I am to judge on the reply's.

So, let me trow another brick on the suggestion table.

This would be a nice to have feature, not critical (except maybe for the sales people at Rotel)...

How about making a windows based emulator of the setup.
                                              This would allow new people to play around with the setting - existing customers to enhance their setup by using different options, and then the ability to download the whole setup to your system after your done, through the serial upgrade cable.

I believe this would be of benifit for people that dont know Rotel, as this is one of the things your never allowed to play around with at your dealer.

Also for the complex setup (especially with zone 2 usage etc) it would be nice to explore different settings.
                                              And finnaly - for all the professionals home theater installers it would be like manna from heaven..

Let me know what you think..

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"