X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torontoml
    • May 2004

rotel rmb 1075 b&k pre/pro

hey guys

this is my first post but i have been looking for awhile. I was looking at rotel suff but thought i might not need it juat get another reciver and be done with it. Today i came across a B&k ref20 for $400cnd and couldnt pass it up brand new in the box. It is a very old pre/pro it does dts. dd, and dpl but only does composite video out. I only watch movies with this system and it is 5.1 and i run component stright to my pj anyway.

1) does rotel and b&k match well

2) was buying this pre/pro a dumb idea

3) what is the least money you would spend on cables to join the pre/pro to the amp

4) i am looking at the 1075 and i have energy c5 for my mains is this enough power

5) i will end up spending about $2000cnd on this system for the pre/pro and amp. do you guys think this will out preform a $2000cnd reciever

i hope i notice a difference between the $400 reciver i have now and this system

i dont have a lot of money so keep this in mind with seggestions the price of the b&k is what made this affordable to me.

thanks of the help guys
    shaun
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Some answers for you - Welcome to the world of separates!

Saun,

1) Does Rotel and B&K match well
    I haven’t hear the B&K Ref 20 with the Rotel but there are some older posts in hometheaterforum.com that suggest it works well. Basically the RMB-1075 is a very flexible 5 channel amplifier that mates well with most pre-processors and receivers. I know you will like it.

2) Was buying this pre/pro a dumb idea
    $400 is a fair price. Older Pre-Pros devalue like bad cheese. I think this is a good way to enter into separates. I believe that it is likely you will upgrade the B&K later for a more up-to date processor – but something like the Rotel RSP-1068 (over $2000 Canadian) or the B&K Ref 50 (ditto) is a big step up from $400 Canadian. So you should get at least a couple of years happy listening out of the B&K before you need to upgrade.

3) What is the least money you would spend on cables to join the pre/pro to the amp
    Contact HT Guide owner Lex (aka Doug) at www.catcables.com he will set you up nicely.

4) I am looking at the 1075 and i have energy c5 for my mains is this enough power
    Yes. The Energy C5 are relatively efficient and the 1075 will make them sing. If you go 7 channel one day and get a better pre-pro then you may want to get a RMB-1080 then for stereo. But right now you will be fine.

5) I will end up spending about $2000cnd on this system for the pre/pro and amp. do you guys think this will out preform a $2000cnd receiver
    Absolutely – will beat most mass market receivers (Sony, Denon, Pioneer etc) for dynamics, imaging etc. Main loss will be in the modern format of Dolby Pro-Logic II (which is great for TV, Cable etc. Here you could have considered the Rotel RSX-1056 which will give you the modern formats etc (75w a channel). I believe this is available for < $2000 Canadian (its about $1299 USA). But then you wouldn’t be in the world of separates….

I hope I notice a difference between the $400 receiver i have now and this system
    You will fall off your chair when you put on your first DVD or CD.

Geoff

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Welcome Shaun

1- I haven't heard that particular combo either but you should have no problems as both companies make very nice products and they should play nice together

2- Totally not! As Geoff mentioned you won't have a couple of new processing formats but if that's not a huge concern to you, you're getting in to seperates for a pretty darn low price and all the bennefits that entails. (Including not having to upgrade your amp, just the processor, when you do decide to get a newer pre/pro).

3- Well the least money you could spend is to get some cheap Rat-Shack cables... :throwup: But I HIGHLY recommend against that. Check out the Cat Cables link Geoff mentioned. Doug makes excellent products at reasonable rates. He'll even recommend specific cables/parts based on your equipment, tastes and budget. You shouldn't spend $20 on your cables but you don't have to spend thousands either

4- I'm running C-9 mains, C-5 rears and a C-C3 centre off of my 1075 with no problems, so you should be fine :T Rotels power ratings are VERY honest! I do hope to upgrade to a 1080 as Geoff mentioned just for extra juice and to possibly go 7.1 but it's more that I want it, not that I need it...lol.

5/6- Absolutely it will outperform an equivelantly priced receiver from any of the mass-market companies. As Geoff eluded too the Rotel 1056 might be a good option for you but it's up to you if you want to give up the extra power and likely better imaging, dynamics etc of the seperates for a warranty and DPLII...?
      You will fall off your chair when you put on your first DVD or CD.
      :lol: Well put Geoff! I totally agree! I mean I came from a Yamaha RX-V1 which is a good step up from a $400 receiver (try $3000 dollar receiver!) and I fell off my chair...lol

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• torontoml
        • May 2004

good to hear

thanks guys

i dont care about new formats i only have room for 5.1 so all i want is dd and dts i never use all those dps modes i just want good sound from the pre/pro

just one more question

is there anything besides cables and the amp that i have forgot to budget for?

thanks so much guys. i am a young guy(22) and cant afford alot but still want some nice stuff and it sounds like i will be ok

thanks again
        does stereo equiptment get anyone else giddy:d

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"