RMB 1075 with RSP 966 (Old 5.1 Processor)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pramod
    • Dec 2005

RMB 1075 with RSP 966 (Old 5.1 Processor)

Greetings To all Fellow Rote-lions,

I have recently purchased RMB 1075 + RSP 966 together in a deal from my friend. I need you all to throw some light in with your experiences with these two combo, if any one has, or had in the past. I know many own 1075 (Excellent Amp) but donno how it sounds with 966, I also have RSX 1055 with me which can be considered as using that as a Pre/Pro for 1075.. But I need to know which option is "Better." I don’t need any 7.1 stuff as I have only 5.1 speaker setup. And don’t care about any new sound formats or DSP etc atleast for now. all I need is a good 2 channel Stereo reproduction and 5.1 Dolby and Dts. I will think of updating to the new processor when RSP1068 is priced low. How do I set up the 966 to redirect bass anything below 80Hz... As there is no feature in the setup.

Your input is verily appreciated
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

If you do a search of this forum, you'll find that back when the RSX-1055 and the RSP-1066 pre/pro were current, the RSX-1055 compared favorably to the 1066 as a pre amp. Some claimed the 1066 was slightly quieter, others heard no difference and indeed chose the 1055 for use as a pre.

There is little doubt that the RSX-1055 can function as a decent pre/pro. The real question is: which sounds better in your system and can you hear a difference? You have the luxury of comparing both in your system. I would do that then make your own decision. BTW, it has been said, and I agree from my experience with the 1055, that it sounds best for 2 ch through the multi-input analog connection to your digital source. That assumes you have a good enough CD or DVD player, otherwise the digital input is the way to go. For movies keep it simple and use the digital input from your DVD player.

Let us know how the two compare. Have fun.

Comment

• pramod
      • Dec 2005

Hello There ginni,

Thx for your reply, you have quoted a valid point buddy, i read in this form that RSX 1057 processing equals to RSP 1068 but never thought that 1055 equals 1066 mostly.
      I have NAD C542CD player, and Denon DVD/A. I will compare 1055 & 966 and post my findings hopefully. yeah you are right my current RSX 1055 sounds great in stereo mode.

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

Are you sure the pre/pro isn't the RSP 976?

Comment

• pramod
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mark_C.
          Are you sure the pre/pro isn't the RSP 976?

Greetings Mark C,

Yeah it is RSP 966, I guess it is the one before 976. I'm not sure, but it looks like a monster and huge around 6.5 KG's of weight. I'm going to hook it up this week end and see how it is comapred to my current 1055. :B

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

The RSP 966 is basically the RSX-965 without a tuner and amps inside. I also have seen versions with (RTC-965) and without a tuner. It is however like the 1098, build around cards in slots. I was sold around 1999/2000.I believe some of the lessons learned with the design of the 965/966 were used desiging the 1098.

The DTS processing is somewhat limited and I recall some problems with a few DTS discs. It does sound reasonably good, especially with the excellent 1075 or 985MKII.
            Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• pramod
              • Dec 2005

The DTS processing is somewhat limited and I recall some problems with a few DTS discs. It does sound reasonably good, especially with the excellent 1075 or 985MKII.[/QUOTE]

Thats Good to know that it mates well with 1075 , can you please let me know what is limited in Dts processing, sorry for my ignorance as I'm new to this HiFi world.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"