Can anyone make another case for the RSP-1066?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poidog
    • Mar 2003

Can anyone make another case for the RSP-1066?

I currently have a Citation 5.0 Controller which is just plain awesome for movies. However, it is not upgradable at all, music sounds okay, and the Citation line no longer exists.

If there is anyone who has owned or heard the Citation and got a 1066, please let me know if the two are similar in sound quality. I know everything is subjective but I'm still looking for opinions.

Being that the Citation was over $3K MSRP (I got it for about 50% off) and the 1066 is about half that, my concern is that I will get half the performance. I cannot afford a similar-priced preamp ($2K and above) right now.

Also, where I live, there aren't many high-end dealers. If there are, their inventory is too expensive. There is a Rotel dealer here, however.

I'm also worried about the popping noises and hums that others are talking about. I e-mailed Rotel and Tim (I think) contacted me and told me to call him direct on this matter. I don't want to pay the long-distance, however (sorry, call me stingy or frugal: I'll pay bucks for home theater but not for long-distance calls).

I am running the Citation through the Rotel RB985MkII amp and I have nothing but good opinions about them, so possibly running the 1066 instead of the Citation sounds even sweeter!

Thanks!
    Poidog
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

I have NHT speakers and have owned a zillion processors including the Citation 5.0. What NHT models do you have? Are you sticking with a 5.1 setup? What do you use 6axis for?

Comment

• Poidog
      • Mar 2003

I have an old set of NHT VT-1 tower speakers with the same center speaker. I have a SuperSub subwoofer. See my profile for my complete setup.

I used the different "DSP" modes for music and the 6-Axis for my old laser discs. Usually, I use Dolby Digital 2.0 for non-5.1 sound but sometimes I play around with the 6-axis for 2.0 stuff.

I really like my 5.1 setup for DVDs, but would like to expand into 6.1 or 7.1 and DVD-A and SACD.

Do you have the 1066? Would it be worth considering replacing the Citation with it?

Comment

• jDUB
        • Mar 2003

Poidog,

Have you considered asking the dealer if you could audition a 1066 for a few days to see if it will meet your expectations? I just bought a 1055 and initially was not impressed with the unit's DD/DTS performance, but loved the music/audio performance. After having it for two weeks, I really have fallen in love with it's DD/DTS performance. I guess you can say, the unit needs a bit of a break in period...or maybe it was me who needed a break in period. I moved to the Rotel from a Sony EP9ES seperate DD processor. The EP9ES bests the Rotel on DD...it was and still is one of the best DD decoders money can buy (selling mine if anyone is interested). The EP9ES can produce music dsp's and PL but despite what anyone says, it really sucks on everything except on DD. The EP9ES bests even the $4-5k Parasound 2500U in MHO (Ep9 uses all first generation Motorola DD chipsets).
        So you can see why I was a bit disappointed with the Rotel at first. But learn what I have learned: give the Rotel some time and you will not be disappointed. I love the PLII, and music performance that I could not get out my EP9. Where so many other processors beyond the $2k mark make up a difference is not on the DD/DTS (most are using the same decoder chipsets) is in the music/audio performance. Try and see if you can audition the Rotel, you will not be disappointed. And remember, different companies have different sonic qualities (ie. Japanesse products are known to be bright, and British products are known for their laid back, warm qualities). Figure out what you like more, because in my experience, there was big difference when I A-B the unit against a Sony DA5es receiver.
        Regarding your question about the issue of popping noises; I have the popping noise but in my experience, it is not really a big issue. I am not sure what others are experiencing but in my case this pop noise is not really a big deal to me. We are not talking about loud, speaker-damaging pops...what you hear is a slight, very low pop when you switch between sources like from tuner to cd source. It is there but not like you may expect.
        And just for clairification, I am using the 1055 as a pre/pro, only using the 1055's amps to power the center rears. Just in case that makes a difference on the popping sounds.

jDUB

Comment

• Poidog
          • Mar 2003

I don't think the dealer will let me test-run it at home, but he will definitely let me in the store. He has a great home theater set up but I'm not sure that - if the 1066 is not connected - he will take time to set it up for me. He always has the best stuff already connected. When I bought the Citation there, he said I could return it if I didn't like it, so that's a plus.

Right now, I'm totally satisfied with my Citation for 5.1 sound on DVDs. I hardly listen to music on my home theater system, but having heard DVD-A and SACD, I would definitely reconsider. I have played a few DVD-A discs on my 5.1 setup and it sounds awesome. If it sounds that good, I can just imagine what it'll sound like with a true DVD-A setup.

I am also interested in Dolby ProLogic II and after doing a comparison between my 6-Axis and a friend's DPLII (he has the high-end Onkyo receiver), the DPLII sounds superior!

I'm planning to see the dealer next Saturday and I'll report back here if anything comes out of it. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with something else besides the 1066, in which case won't be valid here at Club Rotel. ;-)

Thanks!
          Poidog

Comment

• sfdoddsy
            • Sep 2000

It seems to me that the only reason to get the Rotel would be for DPL2 over 6 Axis. The Citation has 5.1 inputs (from memory) so you already have the requirements for DVD-A and SACD.

Just get a DVD-A/SACD combo player and hook it up to the 5.1 inputs. It'll probably improve your channel slightly as well.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
            Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"