X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • artv4
    • Jun 2007

Club Nht "Now Hear This"

NHT ! Hi! i wanted to make a thread for people with the same interest in NHT speakers as i do. From their warm articulate sound, smooth dynamic range, and beautiful piano black finishes, NHT has challenged the notion that they are can offer the best sound reproduction that usually comes at a premium price. NHT takes tremendous pride in their products. GO NOW HEAR THIS!!!!!
    Last edited by artv4; 09 October 2007, 16:01 Tuesday.
    GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)
  • artv4
    • Jun 2007

NHT adds Verve to line of speakers!

Benicia, California-based Now Hear This (NHT) has a long history of building affordable high-performance speakers. In recent years, the company successfully moved upmarket with a remarkably innovative series of products, including the Xd integrated electronics and speaker system, and a high-end surround processor and power amplifier. But with the introduction of the Verve series, NHT is returning to the broader marketplace of four-figure surround sound speaker systems, and these are specifically designed to partner with flat-screen TVs. The $2,000 Verve IV package was conceived, first and foremost, as a system--NHT engineers carefully honed the designs of the two different sizes of satellites and the subwoofer to work synergistically. The unusual subwoofer crams two 10-inch drivers into a "flat" design that's 24 inches wide and a mere 7.7 inches deep. The satellite speakers, meanwhile, are bona fide three-way designs with separate woofer, midrange and tweeter drivers. Since the vast majority of packaged speaker systems rely on two-way speakers, our expectations for the Verve's sound were understandably high.

The NHT Verve series is available in at least four configurations (see below), each of which is comprised of the same basic speakers. The NHT Verve IV, reviewed here, is a six-piece (5.1) system that includes three V Large satellites, two V Small sats, and the V Woofer. The V Large isn't all that big--it's 15.5 inches tall--and the V Small isn't so tiny--it's 10.75 inches high. NHT strongly recommends using the V Large speakers in the front left, center, right positions, and the V smalls only as surround speakers.

Instead of typical medium-density fiberboard or plastic cabinets, NHT engineers opted for BMC (bulk molding compound), a dense mixture of polyester resin, fiberglass strands, wood, and aluminum particles. The cabinet's interior is reinforced with four "U" shaped aluminum ribs in an effort to hush resonance that would color the speaker's sound. The satellites come prepacked mounted on table stands; to reorient the V Large for use as a horizontal center speaker you need to remove two Phillips head screws and reattach the stand. It's a simple enough job and required just a couple minutes of our time. The gently curved speakers also can be wall-mounted with the speakers' keyhole brackets. High-gloss black is the only available finish option, and the speakers are fitted with removable form-fitting, finely perforated metal grilles. NHT is planning on offering floor stands that match the speakers, but they won't be available until summer 2007.

The V Woofer's stylish, piano-black cabinet is constructed out of medium-density fiberboard. The 36.5-pound sub's "slab" shape may make for a more decor friendly footprint compared to more typical cube designs. Input and power connectors are located on the bottom panel to provide a clean appearance--and since the volume control is up front, it's easy to adjust. To achieve the smoothest blend with the V satellites, NHT recommends placing the V Woofer on the same plane/wall as the front three speakers. To keep things simple, the V Woofer lacks an internal crossover--the ideal bass management/crossover frequency is 100 hertz, which is offered on almost every A/V receiver.

The full NHT Verve lineup is as follows:

# Verve I ($6,750): Same as the Verve IV (the 5.1 system reviewed here), plus the NHT Controller and a power amplifier
    # Verve II ($6,570): Same as the Verve V, plus the NHT Controller and a power amplifier
    # Verve III ($5,310): A 2.1 system (identical to the Verve VI, below), plus the NHT Controller and power amplifier
    # Verve IV ($2,000): The 5.1 system reviewed here
    # Verve V ($1,900): A 5.1 system similar to the Verve IV, except that two iC2 in-ceiling speakers replace the V Small surround speakers in the rear
    # Verve VI ($1,360): The most affordable Verve configuration is a 2.1 system consisting of two V Large speakers plus the V Woofer
    Attached Files

Comment

• artv4
      • Jun 2007

Hi Everyone!!!!! please if you could, post pictures of you NHT setups. i will be putting mine up after labor day as i am rewiring my home theater this weekend!!!!

Comment

• artv4
        • Jun 2007

hi everyone!!! here is a pic of my system gutted out. i still have to put up my new sony bravia lcd 40" tv, a new sanus tv stand and audio tower, my rotel equipment, oppo dvd player, and my gaming systems. man i have a bunch to do............ the speakers in the picture are NHT 2.5i's and a NHT M6 for my center.
        Attached Files

Comment

• artv4
          • Jun 2007

everyone!!!!!! here is an update of my home theatre. i recieved my sanus stand shortly after i got my new sony lcd. here is a couple of pics of my ht so far. i also plan on adding led lighting behind the speakers and lcd display. please feel free to post any ideas.

also:
          Rotel RSX-1055
          Rotel RB991
          oppo DV-981HD
          Monster Reference PowerCenter HTS 3500 MKII
          NHT 2.5i Front
          NHT M6 Center
          NHT M6 Rear
          NHT SuperZero Surround Back
          Velodyne HGS-12 on auralex gramma
          Sony KDL-40S2010
          Xbox 360 & Sony PS3
          Straightwire wires and interconnects
          Attached Files
          Last edited by artv4; 08 October 2007, 19:34 Monday.

Comment

• artv4
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by artv4
            NHT ! Hi! i wanted to make a thread for people with the same interest in NHT speakers as i do. From their warm articulate sound, smooth dynamic range, and beautiful piano black finishes, NHT has challenged the notion that they are can offer the best sound reproduction that usually comes at a premium price. NHT takes tremendous pride in their products. GO NOW HEAR THIS!!!!!
            PLEASE POST SOME PICS OF YOUR SETUPS!!!!!
            Last edited by artv4; 10 October 2007, 16:54 Wednesday. Reason: DELETE

Comment

• leepalao
              • Dec 2005

NHT is, without a doubt, one of the 'best' speakers out there for the $$$. I was a B&W fans once....... My HT was a B&W802Ds with HTM2D. BIG full sound.... 802Ds for 2 channel was very, very good and gives that 'WOW' effect.... Then came the NHT Classics... My HT now is Classics 3 all around with the C for center. The sound for HT is not as good as B&W's, but consider the price, it's superb. Voice is crystal clear, and to me, more accurate than HTM2Ds'. My 2 channel set up is the Classic 4s as those are way better speakers than the Classic 3s. At first, they sound somewhat thin and lack bass, but very, very clear and accurate. Now, the sound open up with a large soundstage and have more bass. Instrument separation is the best I've heard, better than the 802Ds. The 802Ds is still warmer and sound fuller, but I prefer listening to the Classic 4s as it is more true to the music. Crystal clear and refined high, voice stands out more than 802Ds, instrument separation is top notch and not foggy like 802Ds. Best is, Classic 4s plays everything, including my euro dance collections, which I can only listen on my PC or in my car. This is why I sold my 802Ds.

By the way, how is the M6 compared to Classic 3 for HT?

Comment

• artv4
                • Jun 2007

leepalao,
                sounds like you really have had a great trial/error time with two great speaker companys!!!! also, you sound like you have a killer system. you should put up pics of both your systems!!!! to answer your question, i have only heard the classic two speakers. i used them for two channel music, and maybe some ht usage (they were positioned in the front sound stage). the m6's are the best surround speakers i have used ever. the voice they produce is so undiscribable. if i could say something, they are warm and articulate, including for ht. i actually thought about switching up my nht 2.5i's in the front with the m6's in the rear. thought that this configurations timbre would match better with the m6 center channel i am using. what do you think?

also, what are you using to power your nht's?

Comment

• leepalao
                  • Dec 2005

Artv4,
                  I guess I'm one of those people who was somewhat crazy about this hobby, but I did calm down nowday though. I have learned to like what I really like, not what I want for the speakers/components to shine on..... if you know what I mean by this. For example, if you go shopping for a speaker at a HI-FI shop, don't ever let them pick a CDs to demo. Bring your own especially the ones you 'actually' like to listen to which would probably be bad recordings for the most part. Of course, if you let them put in an 'Audiophile' jazz CD, then... most Hi-End speakers will shine and of course, you will go 'WOW'...

Anyway..... for any HT to sound good including your NHT's, you MUST use matching speakers. It will sound best if you use M6 for at least fronts and center. You can use M6 or M5 or L5 for rears. Now that they match, you can look at their specifications and cross over their HF/LF to your liking. M6 are very dynamic so they are best for HT. I really want to hear what a HT system consisting of all M6 sound like.....

I'm running a Rotel RPS-1068 with Gemstone 200w Amp. I'm planning to replace the Rotel with the new Integra DTC9.8 (on order) though.

I don't have pictures of my NHT HT set yet, but will take some later. But here are some pictures of my B&W and NHT 3s.

Comment

• artv4
                    • Jun 2007

leepalao,
                    great looking setup!!!!!! clean and simplistic. the lovan stand you have really shows off your components. are you using the NAD to power the b&ws and nht's? thanks for the advice about switching my setup!!! i have another question. i am starting to listen to music a bit more, that is the reason i opted to keep the nht 2.5i's in the front. now, if i switch my nht 2.5i's with the m6 for the front, do you think my 2 channel sound will decrease?

Comment

• leepalao
                      • Dec 2005

Yeah, I used to get furniture with cabinet, but it was just a hassle to work on it. I'm one of 'them' that touch their components all the time!! heck, the side of my PC is hardly closed as I'm always messing with it. So I set things as clean and simple as I can.

I'm using the Nad Master Series M3 integrated to power my 802Ds and Classic 3s last week. This week, I'm using it to power my Classic 4s. The Nad M3 with Classic 4s is just awesome. It was so good I didn't want to go back to 802Ds. Very impressive components from Nad, definitely better than the Classe 151 and Krell 400xi I used to have. I like how smooth and LOUD it can go without harshness, but at the same time, sparkles are everywhere (a 'little' less than Classe and Krell though), but it is still there, and non-fatiguing. Lots of sparkles will sound good initially, but harder to listen after a while. The Nad M3 is probably the cheapest Class A integrated Amp on the market, I think.

If you do the switch, HT would be definitely better, but for 2 channel, I don't know. I haven't heard the 2.5i yet. Since you already have a pair of M6, you can do some A/B to see if you are 'satisfied' with the M6 for 2 channel. Don't worry about HT as it will be better. Let me know how they sound if you do compare them.

Comment

• artv4
                        • Jun 2007

you have had your share of amp selection!!!! man the classic 4's are a wonderful speaker. i only got to listen to them on a ht system, not on a 2 channel setup. you have to post pics of those speakers!!!!! thanks again for the advice. i will tell what happens this weekend when i do the switch, and will post pics.

Comment

• artv4
                          • Jun 2007

need more pics

Comment

• Vince Helm
                            • Mar 2006

Sorry I do not have any pictures but I am using the ST4's in the front, SB3 for cetner, SB2's for the rear, SB1's for the surrounds (7.1) the SW12 on the low end and a pair of SB1's for the progamable outputs on my Halo C2. Also a pair of old 1.3's in the bedroom and a pair of Outdoor One's on the deck. Yep, I do enjoy the NHT sound. Maybe one day I will upgrade to the M6's all around...

Thanks
                            Vince

Comment

• artv4
                              • Jun 2007

vince,
                              man what a setup!!!! at first for my nht setup, i had sb3's for fronts, and ac-1 for the center and sb2's for the rear. at the time i wanted the st4's, but no money due to being in college. m6's all around would me nice man. you should get pics of your setup on here man.
                              art

Comment

• leepalao
                                • Dec 2005

Okay, I'm a little crazy now and going overboard with NHT..... Too many NHTs in the house and I will take pictures when it's all ready... But in case, here's the current setup..

Main 'Dedicated' Home Theater:
                                Klipsch KL-650-THX LCRs (3)
                                KS-525-THX surrounds (2)
                                Definitive Reference Sub
                                Rotel RSP-1068
                                Gemstone Amp 200w X 7
                                Marantz DV9600 DVD player

2 channel setup:
                                NHT Classic 4s (2)
                                NHT U2 System
                                Nad M3 integrated
                                Bel Canto DAC3
                                Acer laptop ($349) that I got from Wal-mart during their special early Friday sale a couple weeks ago... upgrade to 2 gig of rams.. I use Foobar /kernel or Asio (depending on the mood) Via USB to the Bel Canto DAC3. The sound is just stunning... Well, Flac, that is... Lossy and internet radio is also excellent... The sound using the laptop/Flac through the DAC3 is a 'little' bit better than the Nad M5 Cd player, and the Nad M5 was very, very good, better than the Arcam FMJ23 that I had back then.

Second HT room (yeah it's a little crazy, but I can't help the deal on the NHT deals...)
                                NHT Classic 4s (2 for front) - Special dark
                                NHT Classic 3c - Special dark
                                NHT Classic 3s (2 for surround)
                                Denon 5900 DVD
                                HTPC (for music/internet/karaoke)
                                Rotel RMB-1075
                                I'm still waiting for my pre-order of the Integra DTC9.8 processor for my Main HT. Once I get that, I'll move the Rotel RSP-1068 to this system.

So.... Once everything is setup properly, I will take pictures....

By the way, I would have gone with the NHT M6s since they're $350 each now, but those are older technology, and with a smaller room the Classics 3/4 is better. And I just love the Classic 4s for stereo.... Replacing the B&W 802Ds with the NHT Classics 4s says a lot...

Comment

• randyman
                                  • Jan 2004

Nice photos of the setup. I as well as others appreciate seeing something like that.

Comment

• artv4
                                    • Jun 2007

everyone!!!! can't wait to see the pics of the nht ht/2 channel setups

Comment

• artv4
                                      • Jun 2007

hi everyone!!!!!! here is another shot of my ht. i just recently added a toshiba hd-a3 (which i am returning).
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• leepalao
                                        • Dec 2005

artv4, any idea why you return the hd-a3? Don't you get 10 free HD-dvds with that? I'm thinking of going HD, but I already have a PS3 for now, and don't want to jump to a different format yet....

Comment

• artv4
                                          • Jun 2007

hey leepalao!!!!! yes 7 free movies....... ok not a bad deal. though, the system was so slow, and the build quality was crap, i could easily hear the fan, the menu's were slow, and much more....... i can really tell where they skimped out on r&d to keep the cost down. i am sure i am going to get razzed for saying that. the player did have good hd dvd quality, but i like my oppo dv981 for up-converting my dvd's. for the price, its ok. imo, stick with the ps3 or wait for another high end company to make a better hd dvd player. hope this helps! :T

get your pics of your theaters up 8O

Comment

• leepalao
                                            • Dec 2005

artv4, thanks for the info. I'm gonna wait for newer players.
                                            Here is a list of info I found:

Comment

• artv4
                                              • Jun 2007

list?

Comment

• leepalao
                                                • Dec 2005

Oh, what I meant is info on Brand name of HD players.... Such as Denon and Marantz will come out with blue ray players, etc...

I will take pictures when my HT is setup..

Comment

• artv4
                                                  • Jun 2007

ya leepalao, i would wait honestly. the ps3 is a great investment at the moment.

Comment

• unbridled_id
                                                    • Dec 2007

Hello everybody, I too am an NHT fan. I own the classic 3's and power them with a NAD c272, and it sounds wonderful. The 3's replaced polk lsi-9's and are a better speaker in terms of having tighter bass, better dispersion, clearer mids. I am a NAD/NHT fan, and believe the two have excellent synergy. I really dig the M3 leepalao, I suppose you don't feel the highs are a bit rolled off and the bass is soft as some have said? I think the unit simply has it's own sound, if you want it brighter and tighter (though it is subjective) perhaps go with a krell.

Comment

• artv4
                                                      • Jun 2007

unbridled_id!!!!! welcome!!!!!! post pics of your setup!!!!

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                        • Jan 2009

My current set up:
                                                        Yamaha RX-V2400 Surround Pre
                                                        Cambridge Audio CD-6 CD Player
                                                        Samsung D1500 Blu ray Player
                                                        N H T 2.5I Monitors
                                                        N H T SW-2pi Subwoofer
                                                        NHT SA-2 sub Amplifier
                                                        N H T Audiocenter 1 Monitor
                                                        N H T 1.5 Monitors for rears
                                                        Synergistic alpha Interconnect
                                                        Kimber cable 8 TC Speaker cable
                                                        APC H15
                                                        Audio Power Power Pack II AC filter
                                                        I have alway's loved my nht speakers,I use them mostly for music. :T
                                                        Last edited by Thirsty93; 28 February 2009, 03:05 Saturday.
                                                        Your sound room is only limited by the amount of money in your pocket.

Comment

• artv4
                                                          • Jun 2007

AWESOME!!!!!! sounds like a well put system. i miss my nht's.........

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                            • Jan 2009

I'm lookin for a pair of 2.5I anyone know where I can find a pair?

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                              • Jan 2009

I just added a 46inch Samsung 8series lcdhd tv and a samsung blue ray disc player.Upgraded my interconnects with monster 1000hd Ultra-High Speed HDMI Cable and M1000 High Resolution Digital Fiber Optic Cable. :T

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Thirsty93
                                                                I'm lookin for a pair of 2.5I anyone know where I can find a pair?
                                                                Found a pair today :T

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Thirsty93
                                                                  Found a pair today :T
                                                                  Should be hear Friday,Pairing this with a B&K Reference ST 125.2 Series 2 amp :T

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                                    • Jan 2009

Got my 2.5I today....awsome speakers...can't wait for my amp to get here.

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                                      • Jan 2009

:T

Comment

• artv4
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2007

what an improvement thirsty93!!

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jan 2009

Well i got everything hooked up with the B&K sounds AWSOME :T

Comment

• artv4
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2007
                                                                            • 277

where is the rear pic?

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jan 2009
                                                                              • 58

#39
                                                                              I can post one.

Comment

• Thirsty93
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Jan 2009
                                                                                • 58

#40
                                                                                Added a Lovan Classic I Rack
                                                                                :T

Comment

• klnglim
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2015
                                                                                  • 1

#41
                                                                                  NHT Big Fan

Originally posted by artv4
                                                                                  I BEGAN very like NHT Speakers since 5years ago, they sound awesome, clean and neutral, till now I have owned 3 pairs Absolute Zero,1 pair Classic 3, 1 pair SB3,VT1.2 with VS1.2,SA2 subwoofer include SW1 sub amp,Absolute Centre.i use them as home cinema and music listen which connect via 2x Rotel RMB1066 power amp. And Pioneer THX Certified receiver as pre amp out

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"