X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keith_A
    • Jan 2003

Advice: NHT 2.9s/AC2

I'm seeking some advice...My local NHT dealer has made me a very good deal on the following:
    two pair of NHT 2.9s and one AC-2 center (to be used as rear center for discrete rear channel).
    These will replace my Dahlquist CA2/W1s (used for mains) and NHT SuperOnes (used for surrounds). I also have an AC2 which I'm using as my front center along with an M&K 150THX sub. My question is: will having the 2.9s for the front & rear be TOO much speaker or overkill? I know the benefit of going to the 2.9s will be a perfect match for my existing AC2 which I think is a great center channel speaker. I'm just wondering if I should just go with one pair of the 2.9s (or maybe even 3.3s) to use as my mains and the AC2 for the rear center and keep my SuperOnes for the surrounds.

As a side note, this will be in a dedicated media room (16x20) and I'll using a Denon AVR-5800 to drive everything (170W per channel, all 7 channels). I plan to later add a dedicated amp for the mains.

Thank you,
    Keith
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Keith,

Glad to see you made it here Click on my profile to see my current system (for your reference). Funny: today I was talking with a friend about trying to get 2.9s into my room as side speakers LOL!

What price are you getting for the 2.9s? How much would 3.3s cost? How much do you listen to 2 channel music? Is the M&K your LFE subwoofer?

Comment

• Keith_A
      • Jan 2003

Yep, the M&K 150TX would be used for LFE as it is today. My dealer has quoted me $3800 for the two pair of 2.9s and one AC2 (all new in the box with full warranty). I checked out your profile--nice setup!
      I was asking him about moving to the 3.3s, but he doesn't have anymore in stock and commented that having two pair of the 2.9s would really make for a killer setup. I do watch a lot of DVDs/laserdiscs, but also enjoy 2 channel listening (especially SACD). It's probably a 50/50 deal on movies/music.

I certainly welcome any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Keith, good questions. Think of a photo of a panoramic view taken with of course, the right camera and lens. what you get is a seamless view of the landscape that was shot. No start and stop points.

I relate that to adding 4 like speakers for left and right front and rear. Realizing it probably is a lot of money, certainly make the decision that's right financially as well. But as far as enjoying your theater experience, these like speakers are going to give you a seamless presentation with a robust and full sound panning front to back. To me, there's nothing finer for first class home theater.

Most people add small surrounds because of WAF and space as major considerations. Or they say, ahh, they are just the rears, no big deal. But sometimes, I think to little emphasis is put on the rears by the masses. They are important to create your dynamic theater experience, and they are discrete channels, even if under utilized by some DVDs. But on those complete DVDs, like Saving Private Ryan, you've just been immersed into the battlefield with the proposed setup.

Of course, upgrading the mains to 3.3s and having 2.9 rears wouldn't be bad either, right Ricky?

Any questions?

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Keith_A
          • Jan 2003

I think my questions have just been answered... Luckily for me, WAF will not be an issue in this case--she actually supports my sickness! haha

Thanks for the responses guys--I really appreciate it. Now, off to the dealer tomorrow for some shopping.

Comment

• Ricky
            • Aug 2000

$3600 is a great price, about 38% off retail.

If you listened to mostly surround sound, then 2.9s and 3.3s would be very close. But, with your large usage of 2 channel, you really should get 3.3s. The 3.3s have way more bass (like having stereo subwoofers) and a more holographic, 3D soundstage. With 50/50 music/HT, I would rather have 3.3 mains with 1.5s than two pairs of 2.9s. Wanna trade!

3.3s are hard to find new, but not impossible. They also go for 1800-2200 on the used market. Where are you located?

With one AC2 for rear center, you would use 6.1 and not 7.1?

Comment

• Keith_A
              • Jan 2003

You're correct, I'd be using a 6.1 configuration as I would only one AC2 for rear center. I'm in the Dallas area and might try looking at another store for some 3.3s; although my other thoughts are: by staying w/ the 2.9s, I could better afford a good quality amp to drive them later on. I was thinking about either the McCormack DNA series or even trying the PS Audio HCA2. I have a lot of other PS Audio gear (Power Plant, Lab cables, ultimate outlet, etc.) and have read some positive reviews on their amps. Anyway, not to get too much off topic. Also, I should be ok with keeping the M&K sub with the NHTs ?

Comment

• Ricky
                • Aug 2000

Your sub should be fine. I'm sure some stores in Dallas would have a pair of 3.3s left, even if they are open box or demo. 2.9s and AC2 in the rear would rock

On the future 2 channel amp, let's hope other 2.9 and 3.3 owners chime in.

Comment

• Ricky
                  • Aug 2000

Keith,

The AC2 might not be ideal for rear duties. It has the correct 3-way design, maximized for horizontal dispersion....and thus ideal for main center duties, but less so for rears (or rear centers, which are like rears). Perhaps you might want to consider a pair of 1.5s or 1-2 AC1s (2 way, more like the VS series) as your rear center(s).

Comment

• Ricky
                    • Aug 2000

Keith,

How did you make out? Funny you mention getting a PS Audio amp. Here's a used 200x2 PS audio amp for $495. DT Old-Timers might remember....ABDUL (what happened to him?)...Abdul used and recommended Echo Audio. They also have some 3.3s

http://www.echohifi.com/current.html

Comment

• Keith_A
                      • Jan 2003

Hey there.. well, I ended up going w/ the original proposed setup: two pair of the 2.9s and one AC-2. My dealer didn't have anymore of the 3.3s and in giving it more thought and speaking with him about them, I felt that having two identical pair front & rear would be my best bet. I haven't got them installed yet--it will probably be a few weeks, but I wanted to take advantage of the good deal now.

Thanks again to you & Lex for your responses, they certainly helped with my decision. I'll keep ya posted on what happens next.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Keith cool! 8)

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"