• Show
Clear All
  • Entice
    • Nov 2002

Cat CAbles / Interconnects

Ok...

I'll buy into the talk.

So..what are these Cat cables like?

Is there anyplace where they can be loaned from to trial with a system that is already installed, or are they internet purchase only (sight unseen, unheard).

Someone called me a very fussy pr1ck the other day, and I'm all the more glad for it. I guess I'm a bit hesitant to shell out hundreds if not close to thousands of dollars into cables without determining whether they work well, work the best, in my system, in its current environment.

So hence, an idea.. may be difficult to implement, but is it possible to trial the cables before buying?
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I have a 30 day money back guarantee. I'd suggest starting small, trying a pair or two, then if you like them order additional quantities. I can tell you that in over 2 years, there's been only one production product refund given. That's a record I will put up against anyone's.

As to what they are like, I will leave that to the guys that have them to tell you. I wanted to handle the policy information. Shipping is not refundable going or coming. It's a cost of trial evaluation. (Trial meaning I charge you, but can credit you upon return in 30 days)

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I was going to respond earlier but I wasn't 100% sure about the 30 day trial. I knew there is a trial period but wasn't sure of the length.

You could look in the pawn shop area of the forum and see if anyone has any used ones for sale, but I find people don't tend to sell them after they get them.

As to what they are like, well I have several Cat products in my systems, and to make a long story short, I doubt you would be returning them after you get them. I have 2 pairs of Silvercats, a Tigress component video cable, Bluetigers in my LFE path, and a 3-meter pair of Catalinas in my work system. They're the best built, best looking, best sounding cables in my system.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• craigdcan
        • Dec 2002

I have been doing a little cable hunting for a little while now, and really don't want to blow a whole pile of cash. I've narrowed it down to Better Cables, and CAT Cables. What are some reasons that I should choose Cat over Better?

-Craig

Comment

• WallaceBW
          • Jan 2003

I own CAT Cable (Silvercats) which I use as interconnects between my 1066 and 1075. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I am trying to stay away from using objective terms as I am technical by nature but...

The noise floor of my system dropped (better connectors and insulation/isolation)

The upper-mid to high frequencies became more clear (better conductivity)

The soundstage appears more deep and wider (magic)

Instrument placement and channel seperation is much better due to the previous comment (I attribute this to voodoo)

ok enough of that... All joking aside I would gladly pay double what I did for the results that I obtained. I have plans to upgrade more of my system to CAT Cables and I would recommend them to anyone without a second thought.

Lastly, I have never had better or more personalised service from anyone in any industry EVER...
          WallaceBW (Brian)

Comment

• efarstad
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2001

I too am a Cat and Quantum purchaser. I have silvercats in my 2-channel rig and Quantum Supernovas between my 1066 and amps. I also have two paris of Tigress component cables and a subwoofer cable as well. When in need of a cable I go to Cat or Quantum...period. Ok, except when I needed an optical cable for my Denon 1600! ops:

Build quality is amazing...service is excellent...performance...heck...why do you think I keep buying them?!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by craigdcan
              I've narrowed it down to Better Cables, and CAT Cables. What are some reasons that I should choose Cat over Better?
              Well let's see, there's build quality, sound quality, selection, build quality, looks, build quality, locking RCAs, build quality, Doug's a great guy to do business with, and did I mention the build quality?

If you want cute little party hats on the tips, get Bettercables. If you want top notch quality cables for your money, get Cats (don't forget Quantum and Zeus, Cats' sister companies too, for even more selection).

One last thing... would you rather see your purchase price go toward a higher quality product or toward corporate overhead? Think about it... meow.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Entice
                • Nov 2002

Fair enough.

I see everyone is happy with what they have, but still, not convinced enough. The fact that there are many to select from is, in itself, a cue to make me hesitant. I appreciate that there is a money back refund or credit, but living on a different continent, it wouldn't cover the shipping from there, to here, and back again etc etc for trying different products. Some mention that costs would be higher if such a trial system was available. well, yeah. But also, I would be absolutely certain that I had the best product for my liking and for my system. Eg, those that have the blue series...(can't remember their name...sorry).. are you sure that they sound better than the concert series?

lets look at it rationally...
                at least 5 channels of RCA's for pre-pro. then 1 pair from CD to Pre. 1 pair from DVD. 1 pair from tuner (not too fussed on quality here) 2 pairs for Tape deck.

total...9 pairs of RCA's. How much? Heaps. Will they all be the same cable??? unlikely.

Am I the only one, or does someone else see my point?

I am definitely not saying that the CATS are not good. All I am saying is that it would be nice (in my case, imperitive) to trial different cables in the same enviroinment, before deciding on the best for me. It would be nice if there was such a program available now, or in the future where a particular store could stock the product, and, if the sale ends up going thru (even if its thru the internet, or the dealer could sell at the internet price + shipping) the dealer gets a kickback. Would it work? Yes! Would it raise prices? not necessarily. more units would be sold, I assume, and since the deler would in most likelyhood have a greater volume, shipping costs would be greatly reduced.

Food for thought...

and to be honest with you, the fact that I cannot try the before buying them...well, it's a deterrant.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Entice, no one can really say anything to convince you how they will sound in your system, until you use them. But with only 1 person returning cables in 2 years, odds are pretty darn good you will like them, if we match up to your system properly.

Your points about trial audition are respected. However, for me to send out potentially thousands of dollars of cables all over the country and beyond on a promise of return or payment, well, that's just not how business is conducted, as it injects to much risk on the seller, and would surely drive prices much higher to cover loss. Even local dealers with trials will require a charge on your card under most circumstances for home trials.

If your in a different country than US, it is going to make trials more difficult for you. Perhaps www.fatwyre.com can help you. They've got a lot of cables, and offer trials I think of some products. International trials could be a horse of a different color though.

Goodluck in your quest for the perfect sound.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug

Comment

• Entice
                    • Nov 2002

Lex,

I appreciate your frankness and honesty.

You are dead right! No one will convince me of how good a product may be, except for myself. I appreciate that your cables have a sincere and audiophile following. I appreciate that there has only been 1 return in 2 years. But, as you so aptly state, it would be a silly business proposition to send out potentially thousands of dollars in cables on the promise of a return. As is the shelling out of thousands of dollars on an unkniown product (i say that in the sence that I dont know the product).
                    As an aside. It is obvious that I will be trialling several products on my own system. To anyones knowledge, is there anyone, or anywhere, where I might find a subjective comparison/review of several products, compared on the same system.

eg, my system is quite warm, and neutral.

Currenlty awaiting delivery of 1066/1095. Which, will power Dynaudio Contours through Kimber Kable 8tc (Front and centre) and Liberty cable for the rears (Kimber too expensive for those long runs!) SO, instantly seems that it may be a bit warm in the standard setup. Thus, looking at a very detailed CD player, and very detailed cable (pre to power 5 channels). In your range, what would you suggest? Might I find a comparison of your suggestion to another more readily available brand somewhere (hence i can extrapolate my own finding with the "available" cable).

As an aside, is the pricing of the cats on your site in canadian, or US dollars?

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

I guess I own mostly Rhino cables and have nothing but good things to say about both them and their service. Nonetheless, for my last purchase, I decided to give Quantums a try. All the good things have already been said and, again, I want to emphasize how Doug (Lex) bends over backwards to make sure the cables are right for the buyer. That, I'm sure, goes a long way into why only that one customer returned some. The fact of the matter is that they're excellent cables for the money, the build quality is extraordinary, the service is great. Next time, I'll be looking at Cats or Quantums first. They're great and I've responded with recommendations to quite a few personal emails seeking advice on what cables to buy with Quantum/Cat as my first recommendations.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Ok, let's see. First, all products are in US dollars.

Next, as to products, with your setup, I'd recommend Silvercats as a great starting point. Comparisons? Compare them with Homegrown Audio Super Silver interconnects. There should be lots of info on those. The CATs will compete, dead on. Add Eichmann Silver Bullets to your Silvercats, and take them to the next level. I can assure you, they will be awesome. Then you add to that the fact I will precondition your cables on the AudioDharma Cable Cooker to set directionality, and break them in, you've taken them yet another level still yet.

I'll bet those Dynaudios will be sweet! I've heard nothing but good things about them.

If in doubt, start with 1 pair of Silvercats, evaluate them on your left and right mains, and go from there.

Thanks Danbry.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                        Doug

Comment

• vdmai
                          • Mar 2003

Well, here's one more in support of Catcables.

I was contemplating about trying the silvercats for 2-3 months and had many email correspondences with Lex during this time. He was very patient and informative, and I did not feel any pressure( or obligation) from him. Then I thought with all the money that I spent on A/V equipment, why am I bothered so much with spending a bit over $100 or let's just say even $200 to try out a pair of cables. Save money elsewhere to make up for it - buy less DVDs, skip a movie/dinner date, whatever... I had to put my mind at ease (for only $100-$200) and if it doesn't workout, return it or even if it sits around somewhere, at least you've tried it.

So, one morning, I decided to call Lex and we had quite a conversation with him since I wanted to know about the silverbullets as well. Let me tell you, it's nice to know small businesses, like Catcables, in America still exists and these are the people that defined the essence of "customer service" which are very lacking nowadays with all the big corporations.

I took a leap of faith and bought (3) pairs of Silver"bullet"cats from him, one of which was customized for my Biamping needs. Here's an excerpt from my email back to Lex a day after I received by IC: "My main concern was brightness, but I think people have misinterpreted clarity and details in the highs as "brightness". I don't find that at all. In fact, I found the clarity and details accross the highs, mids, and lows. Quite astonishing. Noticed, I didn't use "smooth and transparent". Of course, they were there, but that's what I hear/read everytime silver comes up in the discussions". It's been a week now and it gets better everyday, My Paradigm sounded very good before, now it sounds incredible, the speakers really disappear. Since the sound is so clear, smooth, and transparent, it seems to play louder too.

I take it that it's a hard decision for you 'cause you're overseas, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. You'll feel totally opposite and you'll wonder why you haven't tried it earlier. You own some decent equipment, so give it some decent ICs. Like Lex said, try a pair. I'm sure you've wasted your money elsewhere or before and you've learned from it. It can be expensive with this hobby we have. You should see all the junk I still have especially cables.

BTW, I don't work or have any association with Catcables (but maybe Lex will give me a job now and pay me with cables :roll: ). I just love what the Silverbulletcats do for me. Goodluck!!

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by vdmai
                            Let me tell you, it's nice to know small businesses, like Catcables, in America still exists and these are the people that defined the essence of "customer service" which are very lacking nowadays with all the big corporations.
                            This is reason enough to go with companies like CAT, if the cables weren't reason enough. If enough companies like CAT succeed, maybe the big greedy self-centered corporations might get a clue. Yeah right.

My HT Site

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

I believe in Cats too:

Coolcats
                              Jagwire Digital
                              Coppercats
                              Bluetigers
                              Quadcats

They replaced Tara Labs and Tributaries and (I'm almost ashamed to admit it) Monster.

Needless to say I still have my Cats.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"