X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick TX
    • Jan 2003

FINALLY! I'm an owner!

Well, I'm FINALLY a Rotel RSP-1066/1075 owner. I went from a Yamaha RX-V1 Receiver. All I can say is HOLY CRAP! Boy, did I not know what I was missing in 2 channel & DPLII! I can honestly say I'M HAPPY (finally). I am using B&W CDM-9NT / CDM-CNT, SVS 2531PC+, Panny RP82, Sony CDP-CX455 400CD/MP3, Mitsubishi WS-55511 Platinum Plus HDTV.

I do have a few questions;

1 - Why does the display show Video 1 CD
    I am only wanting video 1, which is labeled as cable. Why does it display 2 sources on the front panel?

2 - Am I crazy? I can't seem to change inputs from the remote.

Firmware - shows 222020905, what does this tell me? Do I need to upgrade?

Thanks in advance! I'm so pleased with this puppy so far. I watched Norah Jones Live in New Orleans last night in DD 5.1, & it was truly amazing. This amp DESTROYS the amp in my Yamaha.
    My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
    Center - B&W CDM CNT
    Surrounds - B&W LM1's
    Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
    HDTV - Pioneer Elite Pro630HD
    DVD - Panasonic DVD-RP91K, Denon DVD-1600
    SACD Changer - Sony SCD-C222ES
    PVR Box - SA Explorer 8000
    HD Box - SA Explorer 3100HD
    Gaming - Sony PS2
    Remote - Home Theater Master MX-500
    Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300
    Rack Light - Panamax RacMax
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

the display that showes CD is showing what is ready to be recorded. You can change inputs with the remote, what input do you wish to change? Like form cable to optical? If thats it then you do that through the OSD function. Also you can label the video 1 to say whatever you whant IE: DVD or T.V. or sat or whatever. I am sure some of the other more knowledgable guys can fill in some of the blanks that I havent. Congrats on your new gear....I am loving mine, but now I can' t get anything done on my day off!

You just can't fix stupid
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• mazuly
      • Feb 2003

Congratulations on your new gear.

Also you can use the remote to change input from say V1 to CD.

1) Hit the audio button on the remote
      2) Slide dawn the bottom door to reveal the hidden keys
      3) The gray part on top (marked as TC/VCR) will work as input change

I strongly advise you to get the Diana Krall (of course if you like her music) DVD, Live in Paris. This DVD has an excellent DTS track and the music is just superb.

Enjoy your new gear,
      Maziar

Comment

• wng
        • Dec 2002

another convinced user, hehe. Congrats.

With the combo and the rest of your gear, that is a sweet system.

To change inputs on the remote, you tap on the "Aud" button on the top row of the remote, slide down the cover, and hit the input you want from the top two rows of buttons that are exposed. V1 is Video 1, and so on. I'm not too crazy about how this is set up. The two rows of buttons beneath the LCD are for changing the function of the remote for your other equipment.

Comment

• mazuly
          • Feb 2003

Man we have eager members here :LOL: . I am typing and somebody already gave the answer. You snooze, you loose.

Maziar

Comment

• wng
            • Dec 2002

Nah, just coincidence.

I succumbed and got Diana Krall's Look of Love CD because so many people are talking about her, just like Norah Jones. If I like it, maybe I'll get the Live in Paris DVD. The DTS tracks on music DVD-V's are quite nice.

Comment

• Mark Paquette
              • Jan 2003

Patrick TX, Congratulations on your purchase! I've had the same setup for about a week now and couldn't be happier. I find myself listening to music a lot more than I used to. There is a newer version of firmware available for your 1066, it's 2.25 I believe. You'll need to obtain a cable from Rotel or make one yourself to perform the upgrade. Once you're on 2.25 you will only see the current selected source displayed, ie. Video 1, CD, etc.

Just to toss in my $.02 here. Now that I've lived with the remote for a week or so I give it a C-. It performs everything I need it to, but some of the buttons are in odd places. Such as the input buttons which can only be accessed by opening the sliding cover. Or the Macro button, which is under the cover as well. I guess it's time to get serious about a Pront or something similar.

Comment

• mazuly
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by wng
                Nah, just coincidence.

I succumbed and got Diana Krall's Look of Love CD because so many people are talking about her, just like Norah Jones. If I like it, maybe I'll get the Live in Paris DVD. The DTS tracks on music DVD-V's are quite nice.
                I hope that you like Diana Krall music, because the DVD DTS track sound is just excellent. The only odd thing is that the piano sound comes out of the right front and right rear. I guess the recording engineer wanted to provide the “being on the stage” sensation to the listener (Diana sits on the right hand side of the screen and the band is behind her). That took some getting use to at first.

Maziar

Comment

• Patrick TX
                  • Jan 2003

WOW, thanks for the info. I agree that the remote is not the best. FedEx just dropped off a Home Theater Master MX-500, SWEET! It is much better than the RR969 IMHO. I got it from surfremotecontrol.com. I guess I'll need to update my firmware, because I only want one source displayed. Also, the mute will be fixed as well. I already have the Live in Paris DVD, & agree it's incredible. Concert DVD's are my favorite! Here's a list of what I have;

Diana Krall Live in Paris
                  Norah Jones Live in New Orleans
                  Talking Heads Stop making sense
                  Metallica S&M
                  Portishead - Live at Roseland
                  Depeche Mode - One night in Paris
                  Santana - Supernatural Live
                  Eagles - Hell freezes over (DTS version)
                  Sade - Lovers Live
                  Stevie Ray Vaughn - Live at El Mocambo
                  The Corrs - Live in London
                  Sting - All this time
                  U2 - Elevation live in Boston
                  Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball
                  Korn Live
                  Family Values Live (Korn, Limp Bizkit, Rammstein, Ice Cube)
                  The Cranberries - Beneath the skin, Live in Paris (V2)
                  Dave Matthews Band - Live at Folsom Field

Want List

Nine Inch Nails - And all that could have been (DTS)
                  The Last Waltz
                  AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip
                  My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
                  Rotel RMB-1075
                  Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
                  Center - B&W CDM CNT
                  Surrounds - B&W LM1's
                  Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
                  Gaming - Sony PS2

Comment

• gianni
                    • Nov 2002

Since some of you are on the subject od DVD's and DTS -- have any of you tried the 2 ch DVD's recorded 1n 96/24?

I have the Super Audio Collection & Pro Test Disc from Chesky Records. Besides 1 0r 2 DTS releases this is the only way I am familiar with for getting 96/24 signal to a pre/pro. These discs wiil provide 96/24 output from most DVD players and still allow you to use the pre/pro digital crossover.

The sound from this disc is astonishingly good -- not only due to the format but also because of the audiophile quality recording typical of Chesky. If you are into superior sound you owe it to yourself to check one of these discs out. Noticably better soundstage, focus, depth, detail, timbre and amazing transparency. All the things that the high end crowd continually strives to improve on, coming out of an inexpensive DVD player ( I'm using a Sony DVP-NS500V w/ SACD ).

Try it - it makes many CD's sound like you are listening to music through a card board tube. In my system, I am convinced that a high quality recording can make as big a diffrence as several equipment upgrades combined. If it is not in the recording to start with, no equipment will produce great sound. Unfortunately the majority of CD's are not high quality. If any of you try one -- let me know what you think.

Comment

• mazuly
                      • Feb 2003

I will defiantly try to get the Chesky disk (that is not a SACD, right?)

As for 2 channel stuff, I have the DVD-Audio of Eagles Hotel California and the 2 channel 24/192 is just incredible. The 5.1 24/96 is also incredible. I have heard things on this DVD-Audio disk that I had never heard on the original before. Highly recommended

Patrick, which one of those disks you mentioned have DTS tracks?

Maziar

Comment

• Rock Dog
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2003

A Little latin jazz flavor. I highly recommend. Freddie Ravel-Sol to Soul. And Steve Stevens-Flamenco a Go-Go. Stevens was Billy Idol's guitarist for some time. He's the guy in the Rebel Yell video. An incredible muscian, and guitarist. This album very different from what I've been used to by him. It's a great disc.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• mazuly
                          • Feb 2003

Rock Dog,

Have you heard Michel Camilo? He is a Latin jazz piano player. Very interesting music.

To my horror, I went to get the Michel Camilo CD to make sure I spell his name right and saw some MICHAEL BOLTON CDs ops: 5 of them. How did I listen to this guy?

I feel like we have high jacked Patrick TX post with discussions on music. Well Patrick, Rotel gear rocks (specially since you have the same gear as I do), welcome again and sorry for all the music talk.

Maziar

Comment

• gianni
                            • Nov 2002

Patrick, sorry - this will be my last post on this tangent. Maybe mazuly is right, you got hijacked.

mazuly: I wish you hadn't gotten me going on the Latin Jazz. If you do go to Chesky's website or at a store, besides the DVD's you may also want to check out the CD's by Paquito D'Rivera and
                            Jazz Descargas by the Conga Kings -- all great recordings and most available in CD or Hybrid CD/SACD. Even the CD versions sound nice.

Also, not quite the same quality but a great CD is A Night in L.A. by Johnny Blas and his Latin Jazz. I could go on & on w/ Latin Jazz/Salsa CD's but.......we need another forum.

Will check out discs you & Rock Dog mentioned.

Comment

• sounddog
                              • Feb 2003

Sorry ... posted twice in error

Comment

• sounddog
                                • Feb 2003

Sorry ... posted twice in error.

Comment

• sounddog
                                  • Feb 2003

Interesting ... I finally went out and bought a RSP-1066 on Tuesday (25th) - but mine - and I'm in the UK - came with a RR-1050 remote control instead of the "old" RR-966 (or whatever model it is). 8) 8)

Is this just a UK change or are they planning to change the supplied remote world wide?

I'm currently running the RSP-1066 with 2x RB-970BX MkII and a RA-1060 (want to sell the 1060 and get a couple more 970s S/H or a RMB-1066 or maybe a S/H RB985) being fed by a Arcam DV88.

Vikki

Comment

• gianni
                                    • Nov 2002

I was told that the RR-969 is being replaced for all the 1066/1055's -- it is just a matter of rotating through the stock.

Comment

• Patrick TX
                                      • Jan 2003

No problemo on the hijacko! I actually enjoy hearing about all the different music / concerts out there. I just picked up NIN Live (DTS) & AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip Live (DTS) @ Circuit City. It seems like the prices at CC are dropping, whereas BB seems higher. The NIN was $25 at CC, $35 @ BB. The AC/DC was $4 higher @ BB. What's pissing me off is BB charging more for the DTS versions. As far as the above DVD's having DTS, I can confirm some from memory. Eagles, NIN, AC/DC, Diana Krall, The Corrs (I think), and a couple more. I really enjoy the concerts, if you could tell!
                                      My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
                                      Rotel RMB-1075
                                      Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
                                      Center - B&W CDM CNT
                                      Surrounds - B&W LM1's
                                      Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
                                      Gaming - Sony PS2

Comment

• Doc_stereo
                                        • Jan 2003

Patrick,

Might I add to your DVD concert video list, the Pearl Jam Tour DVD. I think this DVD is amazing with GREAT 5.1 sound. I listen to different songs from this DVD almost everyday.

Congrats on the Rotel purchases.

Michael

Comment

• mickyboy
                                          • Jan 2003

gianni could you please give me catalogue or referance no for the cheskys super audio collection and test disk, cannot find it on cheskys site, is this avaliable in the uk thank you

Comment

• Patrick TX
                                            • Jan 2003

I bought my Wife "Pearl Jam Touring Band 2000" for Christmas. We haven't even watched it yet, & I can't find the darn thing. I was looking for it last night! I have actaully held off listening to a lot of stuff until my setup sounded "right". Well, it certainly does now!

My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
                                            Rotel RMB-1075
                                            Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
                                            Center - B&W CDM CNT
                                            Surrounds - B&W LM1's
                                            Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
                                            Gaming - Sony PS2
                                            My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
                                            Rotel RMB-1075
                                            Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
                                            Center - B&W CDM CNT
                                            Surrounds - B&W LM1's
                                            Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
                                            Gaming - Sony PS2

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                              • Jan 2003

Hey, Patrick...

How about updating your equipment list, for Pete's sake

Comment

• gianni
                                                • Nov 2002

mickyboy:

When you visit the Chesky.com home page, click on DVD catalog in the menu to the left of the page. You should be taken to the DVD titles - this one is CHDVD171.

If you would like to hear samples from the DVD's that don't have them available, try the CD catalog. There you will find the CD version of most of these which allow you to sample a few tracks.

Also, unless you have professional test equipment the test portion of this disc will not be of much use. If you are looking for an interesting test disc you might look at The ultimate Demonstration Disc - Chesky Record's Guide to Critical Listening.
                                                #UD95. This is a CD and not as impressive as the DVD's but still excellent for a CD. All the recordings I have from this catalog exhibit from above average to outstanding quality.

Good luck!

Comment

• Patrick TX
                                                  • Jan 2003

DOH! I don't know why it was attached, but it's fixed!
                                                  My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
                                                  Rotel RMB-1075
                                                  Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
                                                  Center - B&W CDM CNT
                                                  Surrounds - B&W LM1's
                                                  Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
                                                  Gaming - Sony PS2

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                                                    • Feb 2003

I hate your guts. hahaha. just kidding.
                                                    I am just so jealous of you. I will become a first time owner of a RMB-1095 by the end of March. I will then save up for a 1066 pre/pro.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"