I FINALLY got my Halo equipment! (Running commentary)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I FINALLY got my Halo equipment! (Running commentary)

After all the research, decision making, and finance preparation I did, I've finally received my Halo equipment!

Please excuse the bad photos, as they are just preliminary! You have to look a little hard to see the lighting on the MX-700 remote in the dark picture. I had to light up the remote, then take the picture real quick before the remote lighting timed out and went off.

I chose to go with the C1 controller, (top) A21 amplifer, (middle) and A51 amp. (bottom) I really wanted the T3 tuner to match and complete the set, but my wife pointed out that we really never listen to the radio at home, and "suggested" we leave that out of the purchase. I have very efficient speakers, so originally I was considering going with the smaller, lower powered, and cheaper A23 and A52 amplifiers. But thanks to the somewhat strong recommendations of Parasound reps and people on this forum, I chose to go with the larger, more robust A21 and A51. (250W RMS at 8 Ohms vs. 125) I'm thinking I'll be grateful for this in the future.

I think what I'll do is just keep a running commentary here in Club Parasound of my experience with the equipment as time goes by, and then you'll also be able to see my comments and installation in my article series in Home Theater Builder Magazine when I get to that step in the writing.

First, I've noticed that many Halo reviewers I've read start off by commenting about the equipment packaging. I feel compelled to do the same. I've never seen equipment as well packaged, which I'm rather thankful for given the inept UPS delivery service here in my area. The C1 controller came tucked smartly in a purple velvet drawstring bag, (think Crown Royal liquor here) inside a plastic protective baggie, held in formed styrofoam, inside a cardboard box, held by MORE styrofoam inserts, inside a SECOND box, slipped into an outer cardboard sheath, and secured by a thick plastic retaining strap. Whew! The amplifiers were the same except for the nice velvet bag. Very impressive!

Two things I noticed immediately about the equipment--it is BIG, and it is HEAVY! Although the C1 is roughly the same depth as normal A/V equipment, the amps are much deeper, maxing out the A51 with rear cooling fins at just under 21"!!! Each of the three components are 7" to 8" tall with feet. With the massive equipment weight, up to the hefty A51 amplifier tipping the scale at 80 lbs, these babies will not be going anywhere once they're installed in my equipment bay! I had to use the rear carry handles at times just to move them around.

Halo equipment comes with just about everything you could initially need for setup, including the award winning MX-700 remote control, (I can't wait to fully set this baby up and use it's capabilities!) second sidekick mini remote control, good quality setup microphone with connecting cable, RS-232 cable to connect remotes to a computer for customization, BNC to RCA connectors for the video jacks on the C1, stout detachable power cords, mini-plug cables for interconnecting the power trigger functions of the Halo equipment, (i.e. programming the C1 to automatically turn on an amplifier when it outputs an audio signal) banana plug connectors for ends of speaker cables, and multiple sets of batteries for everything. Both amplifiers came with brackets and hardware to rack mount the equipment, but for some reason the same hardware is not included with the C1, available for purchase from Parasound separately instead.

After powering up the equipment and taking pictures, I was very entranced with the classy lighting of the equipment. Buttons have a soft blue "halo" light behind and around them, and each unit has a red Parasound logo at the top which lights up as well.

Strangely enough, the 5" TFT screen on my C1 didn't work, so I called and talked to Tim with Parasound tech support. He had me try to output On-Screen Display video (OSD) from the C1 to a nearby television, which worked fine, making the C1 screen likely defective, not the controller itself. (incidentally, I was rather impressed by the multitude of options and screens in the controller menu, even changing the display colors into various Windows-type hues!) He immediately gave me return authorization, and for my particular case even arranged for pre-paid shipping. The UPS guy came right to my door to pick up the bad unit. He also shipped a replacement unit right away, and even let me hold on to the defective C1 while the replacement showed up. Now that's service!

Sadly, since my theater isn't fully done yet, these won't go directly into use for me to comment on ALL operations. But I'll keep my thoughts running, and I'd like to hear feedback as I go!

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Congratulations Chris! I know you'll be deliriously happy with these amps and the C-1. They are fine looking units aren't they? But, you realize that you are in for some tough times now, right? Let's see, do I fly today or do I listen to the new equipment, hmmmm? Decisions, decisions.
    It's a good delimma though. :yeah:

On a personal note, waiting until Feb or March to make my purchase just got a lot tougher to bear. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

With a cumulative weight of 162 pounds for the 3 pieces, what kind of rack are you using? Also, are you using a dedicated circuit for the A-51?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• nicholtl
        • Aug 2003

I remember when I got my A51 and A21, and I was asking the whole world and their mothers where to plug the amps into. A PS Audio Power Plant? A Monster Power 7000 Conditioner? A dedicated 20 amp circuit? But alas, after much research, talks over phone with Parasound, and Private Messages across multiple forums, I have found it best to plug them directly into a wall. And some might also disagree on me with this, but I think upgrading the power cords helps as well. The grey ones that come with these amps just don't seem robust enough.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Thanks, David! I will be building a custom equipment rack, which I'll have to build extra sturdy to hold this AND all my other equipment at the same time.

In the construction of my theater (which you'd know if you read my articles ) I put in two dedicated 20 amp power circuits by the equipment area, each terminated by a quad plug outlet. This is probably overkill, but the power draw from my equipment will NOT be maxing out any circuits or interfering with other power flow in the room.

Nicholtl, interesting thought on the power cords. They seem moderately bulky, but you may be right. I've read many differing opinions on the usefulness of upgrading power cords.

CHRIS
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris
            (which you'd know if you read my articles )

ops: Yeah, I've got two issues of HTB and several other mags just waiting on me to find time to catch up. That's also the one drawback to my upgrading to JC-1 monoblocks - two 20-amp dedicated circuits just for the amplification? 8O

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• nicholtl
              • Aug 2003

Chris, I read your articles! I am one of your fans.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Wow, I have fans? (only being semi-facetious) Thanks! I'm really just a somewhat average guy.

David, like I said, I'm sure my power specs are overkill. I won't need that much, and most people just plug them into the wall. I will mention, though, that with my equipment currently plugged into the living room for testing purposes, if I turn on the A21 or A51, the room lights do *slightly* dim for a split second. But my Sony 36" Wega does the same thing, so take it or leave it. The C1 does not have this effect, as far as I've noticed.

I got my replacement C1 in yesterday, so I'll be hooking it up to check for the screen operation. I was very surprised at how quick and easy the unit swapout was. I didn't do anything more than the total actions of making one phone call, box up the C1 with defective screen, answer the door when UPS delivered the new unit, and answer the door when they came again to pick up the old unit. didn't even step foot out of my house.

CHRIS
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Those pictures look beautiful Chris. And, I'm green with envy. Congrats on a beautiful purchase. Once you get it all set up and working, I have to believe you'll have a system to dream of.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Congrats Chris!!
                    I love the sound of Parasound.
                    I don't have the Halo gear, however the
                    2005 and 3500 John Curl design is a great combo
                    for my Paradigm Studio's.

Enjoy the Halo!!!
                    I bow to you!!

;x( ;x( ;x(

Trevor
                    My HomeTheater S.E.
                    Sonically Enhanced
                    C5
                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Scarp
                      • Mar 2003

Nice equipment Chris!

Comment

• nicholtl
                        • Aug 2003

wow, has anyone checked out the link and pics on trevor's home theater? Holy mother of God that is a nice equipment stack.

Comment

• John H
                          • Jun 2002

Chris,

Congratulations

I have been using a C2 since early February and am very pleased with it's performance.

John

The Bedroom
                          The Bedroom

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

Chris, it's fantastic, the Halo. It's beautiful! Congrats a lot.

Now, in fairness to other members, I think other members should know what kind of service to realistically expect as an average joe. I'm just not sure Parasound would agree to ship out another unit, while you hold that one to be sent back. In fact, I think I can almost surely say they wouldn't. Instead, you'd have to work through your dealer for either an exchange, or to arrange service. I think unless I am making an incorrect assumption, Parasound wants to put a good face forward for the magazine articles on building your home theater. Now, there's nothing wrong with that at all! But I think it shouldn't be confused as being normal for all people, if it's not normal. I just wouldn't want someone buying Parasound expecting this kind of service, and then being severely disappointed. That's not to say Parasound doesn't have great service. For all I know, maybe they do! But this great? Questionable. But I am glad it worked out so well for you!

Lex
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Well, according to Brad at Parasound inside sales, he states that they do have this good a service. If so, maybe we should all be using Parasound. :B

Kudos to Parasound if they take care of all customers this way!

Lex
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Lex, you make a good point, as usual. My entire project is focused toward the common person, and I try to tailor my project and my public writing toward what the public person has available and can expect as an experience.

So far, I've been very impressed with Parasound as a whole, from talking shop with the inside technicians and representatives, to sales and tech support. Everything I've seen myself and heard from others' experiences indicates that Parasound is one of those companies that will go just a little bit farther to make and maintain a good product, and then provide good customer support. I certainly hope they don't prove me wrong in the future! (and that they don't let me down either!)

Just to be clear for others that may be interacting with Parasound in the future, I purchased my Halo equipment from Parasound directly, and so my personal customer service and support needs to go directly with them as well. Lex, you're right, for others that have bought Parasound from a dealer representative, their rep can help them out greatly with direct customer service as well.

CHRIS
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Well, I FINALLY got the Halo equipment hooked up and running in the theater configuration. Up to now, my theater has been under construction and I've been using the Halo equipment only in a temporary testing situation. But now my theater is done enough to at least be usable while I continue to work on it, so I've got the Parasound equipment hooked up, driving my 7.1 setup of Klipsch speakers as well as other equipment and a second zone for all-home audio and video.

The second zone works fantastically, passing audio and video separately to the rest of my house through pre-wiring I did. It took me a few minutes to get used to the operation at first, though. I didn't know that you had to turn the 2nd zone "on" by pushing the zone button and then the power button, at least on the remote. I haven't tried this on the front face. But once I got the hang of it, it works great. It really operates like an entirely second processor, almost like having a second C1 next to my first, just for the second zone. How cool! You turn it on and off separately, control volume, input, video, DSP, etc. Two things are becoming evident to me. First, the best configuration for me is to output at 0db THX reference level to the second zone, feeding my zone amplifier. The only thing with this is, every time the C1 is turned off and then back on, it will bring you back to the last volume level, up to a MAX of -20db to be safe. This means I have to readjust the zone volume back to 0db every time I turn it on. I wish I could override this feature for the zone. Second, the C1 is designed to have the zone features active for 5 seconds after you push the zone button. This has advantages, but I'm thinking I would prefer to have it as a toggle button, so I can fully adjust and tweak in zone mode, and then go back to main mode.

Strangely, my rotating knob on the front face panel, used to change volume, source, etc, has stopped working after a few hours of setup. I think it's dead, so it'll have to be fixed. I'd rather not send it back just for this, so maybe I'll wait until any upgrades come out for the C1 (HINT HINT) and then just send it in for all the work at once.

Right now, I just have everything connected with cheap wires temporarily until I get a new set of high-end cables from Cat Cables and put everything into a cabinet which is on its way. I'm getting some pops, crackles, and hiss (snap, crackle, pop?) at times, which I hope is ONLY from the cheap connectors and will go away. With DTS, the system seems very silent. But with DD and analog, I'm hearing background hiss at quiet times. It doesn't seem to be localized on the media that I'm playing, but I'm not sure yet. When I change sources, I get a pop in the speakers, or when a DVD goes from one chapter to another, I get a slight pop as it comes out of Dolby Digital, (or whatever is playing) says "digital error" as the player changes chapters or menus, and then starts playing the next chapter.

I think it's funny how the C1 when muted makes a VERY audible "click", probably by design. Same thing when mute is turned off. That's irony for you, that a mute feature ADDS more sound for a split second.

Interesting... I was doing 7.1 testing with Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition. In DTS, the C1 automatically went into DTS ES. But when I selected DD EX on the DVD, the C1 just went to DD, and I had to hit the THX button a few times to select THX EX manually. I wonder what's up there.

I tell you what... those A51 and A21 amps can put out some POWER. I'm finding that volume is varying by source, but mostly I can't go much more than -20 to -10 db without it being overly loud right now in the main zone. Of course, my theater is still quite empty with no stuff, and I haven't put up any acoustical treatment yet, so I'm getting more reverb than I will in the end. That will make a difference. Along with the power, that A51 does put out some heat when it's being driven hard. Nothing overly hot, but noticeable when you touch the heat fins.

CHRIS
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Bugsy
                                    • Feb 2004

Chris, may I ask which models of Klipsch speakers you are using? I listened today to the RB 5 11 and the RB 3 models and liked them both. TIA, Cheers.

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Bugsy, I have the Legend series, which they stopped making about 4 years ago. KLF-30 mains, KLF-C7 center, and four KSP-S6 surrounds. I really like Klipsch, as they are very, very detailed speakers. You'll hear every little nuance of the music or sound being played. Of course, you'll hear every flaw and mistake in the music or sound as well. The speakers you mentioned aren't bad for the price, especially since they're in the reference series, but budget Klipsch speakers don't come anywhere close to the performance of their high-end models like the classic Klipschorns. If you're looking at RB models, they're all bookshelves, right?

CHRIS
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Well, I did an autocalibration today, just for the heck of it, even though it's only a temporary setup until room construction is complete. Before the level and distance calibration, the sound was nice, and I was amazed at how dispersed the sound was. Not specifically localized to a surround speaker, which is great. But kind of muddy, too.

After 4 minutes for both calibrations, WOW! A totally different performance and different setup. It brought down my mains as much as -11db each. The sound is now much more crisp and clean, and to get the same overall volume I can now go up to -10 to 0db, instead of about -20db. But now speakers are balanced, and the sound stage is great.

what a great feature, to have this all autocalibrated in just 4 minutes. Very easy, too. I won't post my actual level results yet, since I'm still temporary, but once the final setup is complete I'll pass on the data. When I do, I'll do a formal calibration with my SPL meter too, but I'm guessing that things won't hardly change much at all.

CHRIS
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
                                          • Mar 2003

I also did autocalibration this morning for the first time since I switched to balanced interlinks. Before the settings where about -3 dB, now they at -10 dB. Its clearly the higher gain on balanced that shows in these calibration figures.

Its very easy to do indeed and very usefull.

Btw, manual calibration is difficult since the noise signal will quickly jump to the next speaker.

Comment

• Ken Smith
                                            • Jan 2004

I'm very interested in getting into some Parasound equipment. I'm especially waiting on the new dvd player(s) around the corner. I can't seem to find out where Parasound equipment is manufactured. I've been to the web site but not much info there. I know on the back it lists Parasound's address is San Francisco but where is the stuff made? Anyone have any ideas?
                                            TIA,

Ken

Comment

• Scarp
                                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ken Smith
                                              I'm very interested in getting into some Parasound equipment. I'm especially waiting on the new dvd player(s) around the corner. I can't seem to find out where Parasound equipment is manufactured. I've been to the web site but not much info there. I know on the back it lists Parasound's address is San Francisco but where is the stuff made? Anyone have any ideas?
                                              TIA,

Ken
                                              Check here

Their pre/pro's are manufactured in Finland by Flextronics. They also do the development of the C1/C2. Flextronics also works for other companies like Classe and B&K.

The amps are manufactured in Asia (so do a lot of other companies).

But their base is the USA still. I think amplifier development is also done there.

Comment

• Bugsy
                                                • Feb 2004

Chris.....just curious as I wandered into a listening session between some Jamo and Klipsch speakers in a local a/v showroom. I was most impressed with what turned out to be the two bookshelf models from Klipsch, and wondered which models you have with your Halo gear. The tests were conducted using a Onkyo rcvr, not sure of the model. Cheers.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

Bugsy, I do like and recommend Klipsch speakers for use. Bookshelves are a great way to start! As you get higher and further, though, you'll want to use full-sized speakers, ESPECIALLY when you get into higher-end electronics like the Halo amps and processors.

Well, my front panel knob started working again by itself the other day. Strange.

CHRIS
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"