X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aredant
    • Jan 2010

RC-418M remote locked up, won't reset.

I have a RC-418M remote control that I use with my DTR7.1 receiver.
    It's not unusual to accidentally press the wrong keys, but this unit seems to be stuck in limbo mode. It was stuck with the display "M-09". Could not cancel out. I followed the directions to reset. Hold down ON/RESET while reinserting (fresh) batts. It doesn't do what it should, just says "Audio" and won't control anything even though the send light blinks when I press a button. I cant change to another mode, but it might go to "M-09" again if I hit the right key.

I'm wondering if there is someway to reset it finally, but i am afraid
    it's probably damaged. Perhaps a decent ESD shock finally.

Any ideas?
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Welcome to HT GUide Forum. Thanks for posting in Club Integra. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your RC-418M remote.

Some thoughts:

1) Does the DTR7.1 respond properly to front panel button commands? (In other words, have you confirmed that the receiver is operating properly to be sure it is just the remote that is malfunctioning.)

2) Since "Audio" is the mode the remote is supposed to be in to control the DTR7.1, is there anything blocking the IR sensor at the receiver?

3) When you say the remote won't control anything, does that include not being able to power on/off the DTR7.1?

4) Had you been using the remote to control any other components besides the DTR7.1? Did you program any macros in the remote?

5) Are the DTR7.1 and the RC-418M remote still under warranty? If you cannot get the remote to work, then Onkyo/Integra should replace the defective remote (assuming it is just the remote that is malfunctioning). If the receiver is working fine and the remote is out of warranty, the good news is that replacement remotes are available. The bad news is they are not cheap (over $100 for exact replacement of the RC-418M remote).

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• aredant
      • Jan 2010

The receIver works fine manually.

I took the batts out and set the remote aside for a few days. I just reinserted the batts and it works again! The unit must have a locked up (perhaps a fateful combination of accidental keys, ESD, age, etc) and needed to discharge long enough for the internal caps bring the unit below a critical logic level to clear. Before, I was waiting until the display went blank to reinsert the batts, but it it takes longer than that - perhaps several minutes or more. (In the meantime, I did dig out my old Onkyo Unifier and that worked for a number of functions like power, volume and mute.)

Moral: If your remote gets confused, remove the bats, leave the room and do something else - come back later and try again. Resetting may not work if its already confused. Thanks for your response.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"