X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigkid
    • Feb 2003

Can't seem to display the OSD

Hi all,

Greetings, this is my first post. Got my RSP1066 today after a 4 month wait. They are next to impossible to get here in Australia at the moment. Goodness knows when its big brother willl get here.

Have got the stereo and DVD-A audio working fine, and they sound great, but just can't seem to get the OSD to display. I run all my video directly to a plasma monitor, but I am running composite between my DVD player (Toshiba SD-900E, the Euro equivalent of the 9200) to the RSP-1066 then to the plasma, just for the purpose of viewing the OSD.

When I first turned it all on I was able to see a background picture generated by my DVD player. After switching between inputs on the front panel I lost the picture and now only see it only for a brief second when first turning the amp on. Pressing the OSD menu button on the remote activated the little indicator on the RSP-1066 but does not display anything on my monitor.

Bit frustrating after a 4 month wait. Appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks.

Regards,

Allan
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Please don't be insulted by this question but when you say composite cable are you really refering to a single RCA cable that's connected to the composite input on the Rotel or are you talking about three seperate component cables (Red ,Yellow and Green)? Many people get these terms confused and the Rotel will not display its OSD though the component cables only S-Video and Composite which is why I'm asking.

Comment

• bigkid
      • Feb 2003

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for responding. No offence taken. I am using a single RCA to RCA cable, just your everyday standard RCA/RCA which comes with every piece of AV equipment. I have the retailer sending someone out next week to have a look at it. Can't think what it might be. The DVD screensaver was being displayed at one stage so the path from DVD-RSP1066-TV worked (at that stage in any case). Might try another cable just eliminate it from consideration.

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• bigkid
        • Feb 2003

Andrew, tried another cable with exactly the same result. When I turn on the RSP1066 I get a brief glimpse of the video image from my DVD player and then a blank screen. No sign of the OSD even during that glimpse.

Allan

Comment

• mml7
          • Jun 2002

Are you connecting your DVD player directly to the plasma display via component video and connecting the 1066's OSD to the same TV input (only using composite video)? If so, what happens if you turn off your DVD player?

On my set, if I have multiple sources connected to a single input, the TV places input precedence to the component inputs-->s-video input-->composite.

For example, I have a Playstation 2 connected to Video 2 via composite and the 1066's OSB to Input 2 via S-Video. When the 1066 is on, I can not see the PS2's video regardless of whether I've turn on the 1066's OSD display or not.

mike

Comment

• mazuly
            • Feb 2003

Hi BigKid,

Why don't you let us know how exactly everything is connected to your RSP-1066 including your plasma. Maybe we can then see if there are any problems with your connections.

For Example:
            DVD to RSP-1066: Video, RCA to V1, Sound, Coaxial RCA to Digital 1

and so on....

Thanks,
            Maziar

Comment

• bigkid
              • Feb 2003

Hi Mike and Maziar,

Thanks for responding.

Mike, the inputs on the plasma are separate and selectable, the composite output of the processor is going to the video input on the plasma and the component output from the DVD is going to the component input on the plasma.

Maziar, connections as follows:

DVD Player composite output (RCA) -> RSP1066 Video 1 input (RCA)
              RSP1066 Video 1 output (RCA) -> Fujitsu Plasma Video input (RCA with BNC adaptor - have also tried a straight RCA-BNC cable)
              DVD Player component output (YPbPr) -> Fujitsu Plasma component input

I have no problems with the component output direct to the plasma, only the composite video running through the RSP1066

Apart from the video connection for OSD purposes I don't use the RSP1066 video switching capability, preferring to run that direct to the display.

Other audio connections to/from the RSP1066 include:

CD connected via RCA
              DVD via multi input RCA ( for DVD-A)
              DVD stereo output to Tuner input via RCA
              DVD coaxial digital to Coaxial 1 digital input
              Sony playstation via optical digital to Optical 1 input
              5 x RCA Pre-Out to Elektra Home Theatre Power Amp

The retailer is proposing to send out a technician next week. I hope that it is just something I have done wrong rather than a faulty unit, couldn't wait another 4 months. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• mazuly
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by bigkid
                Hi Mike and Maziar,

DVD Player composite output (RCA) -> RSP1066 Video 1 input (RCA)
                RSP1066 Video 1 output (RCA) -> Fujitsu Plasma Video input (RCA with BNC adaptor - have also tried a straight RCA-BNC cable)
                DVD Player component output (YPbPr) -> Fujitsu Plasma component input

I think that is your problem. In order to get the OSD, you need to connect RSP-1066 to plasma from Monitor Out and not V1 out.

Also the reason you may not get any picture from your present setup (V1 out to plasma) is because you need to set record out to V1 (need to do that through OSD menu, which I guess you can not do since you have no OSD ).

Try that and let us know if it works.

Maziar

Comment

• bigkid
                  • Feb 2003

Maziar,

That makes sense ops: . I'll give it a try today and let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• bigkid
                    • Feb 2003

Maziar,

That makes sense ops: . I'll give it a try today and let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• bigkid
                      • Feb 2003

Hi Maziar,

I have connected the TV MONITOR out on the RSP1066 to plasma and the signal from my DVD is now displayed (thanks, absolutely mortified that I pick that up myself).

When I turn the RSP1066 on the OSD screen is overlayed for 10 secs or so on the video signal from the DVD. Also, when changing inputs on the RSP1066 the settings for that input appear on the plasma momentarily. However, I still cannot activate the OSD using the remote control, the OSD indicator doesn't activate on the front panel screen of the RSP1066 and the OSD overlay does not appear on the plasma. Nor can I access Main Menu using the remote when the OSD is displayed for the short time on start-up. The remote is the RR1050 model. I am starting to suspect the remote. Have you heard of anyone else who has had any problems with this remote?

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• mazuly
                        • Feb 2003

I think the OSD part is OK and I am in agreement with you regarding the remote. There are 2 things that can be done:

1) Make sure that the remote is set to be used with the RSP-1066. The remote is a universal remote and therefore if it is set to work with say your plasma TV, it will not work with RSP-1066. You have to press Audio (if it is the same as mine since I have the older remote) to make it work with RSP-1066.

2) The remote can also be reset to factory original setting if it is not functioning properly. Unfortunatly I have the older remote and I don’t know how you reset RR-1050.

I think your best bet is to hit the manuals for RSP-1066 and the remote.

Please let us know the outcome and good luck,
                        Maziar

Comment

• ZX 6R
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by bigkid
                          Hi Maziar,

I have connected the TV MONITOR out on the RSP1066 to plasma and the signal from my DVD is now displayed (thanks, absolutely mortified that I pick that up myself).

When I turn the RSP1066 on the OSD screen is overlayed for 10 secs or so on the video signal from the DVD. Also, when changing inputs on the RSP1066 the settings for that input appear on the plasma momentarily. However, I still cannot activate the OSD using the remote control, the OSD indicator doesn't activate on the front panel screen of the RSP1066 and the OSD overlay does not appear on the plasma. Nor can I access Main Menu using the remote when the OSD is displayed for the short time on start-up. The remote is the RR1050 model. I am starting to suspect the remote. Have you heard of anyone else who has had any problems with this remote?

Regards,

Allan
                          I was gonna post about the monitor out thing when you posted initially but I was like nah....he probably has it hooked up there. Good thing Maziar picked up the slack.

RR-969s have been known to be bad right out of the box but I've also experienced symptoms exactly like what you're describing when plugging stuff into Rotel processors/receivers when they are powered on. Try powering down and unplugging for a few mins and give it another shot. If that doesn't do the trick, it probably is the remote(could also be the batteries in the remote as well). We usually have 969s in stock since they are also sold as a seperate item also so I imagine your Rotel dealer would as well. It should be an easy swap if it is the remote.

Comment

• bigkid
                            • Feb 2003

Eureka! Got it! Just saw your post Maziar and you were on the money, I'd set the the remote to DVD (Video 1) - which, I understand, is defaulted to a Rotel DVD, I managed to work it out when I stopped thinking about it so hard. It came to me while I was just sitting listening to a CD. Such a simple thing in the end, but so damn frustrating.

I was right, it did end up being the remote control, that and the dill operating it.

HT, it's not like plugging in your old stereo components is it!

Thanks for the help Maziar, Mike and ZX 6R. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• mazuly
                              • Feb 2003

Excellent.

So what was the first movie you watched??

Enjoy your excellent gear,
                              Maziar

Comment

• bigkid
                                • Feb 2003

Maziar,

Haven't had a chance to watch a movie yet, working too many hours at the moment, but did get a chance to listen to some well known CDs, DVD-A's over the weekend (when all I had was analogue audio). Mightily impressed with the unit. So much more detail than I have been accustomed to. Having a ball. Will get a couple of action packed movies for next weekend once I have set everything up properly now I have OSD.

Thanks again for your help.

Allan

Comment

• mazuly
                                  • Feb 2003

Allan,

I admire your self control and your dedication toward your work h:

If I may, I would like to suggest Lord Of The Ring (special edition with DTS track) for your first viewing since the sound is superb. Also Diana Krall Live In Paris DVD has an outstanding DTS track (Of course if you like that movie and Diana Krall).

Enjoy and keep us posted,
                                  Maziar

Comment

• bigkid
                                    • Feb 2003

Hi Maziar,

Yes, I have the DTS version of Lord of the Rings. I'll probably sit down with my son and watch it for my third, and his 27th, time over the next few weeks. I am reading the book at the moment. Some of the detail has not been translated to the movie and some things are just plain wrong (no elves at Helm's Deep but for Logolas, but there were Huorns, or sleepy Ents), but one hell of a story nonetheless! Not even the most ardent LOTR fan could take offence.

Must look into Diana Krall, the one or two things I have heard were a bit slow for me, great voice though. The recent Steely Dan DVD-A, Two Against Nature, is more my thing, or anything in an acid jazz line. The Steely Dan offering is a bit quirky and somewhat dated but really shows what can be done by some exceptional musos with no compromise on production values.

Maybe chat soon. Regards,

Allan

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"