X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madd
    • Jan 2003

RB 1070 OR RB 1080

:?: Looking to get an AMP to power Paradigm Studio 60's. Sensitivity 90 dB, Max input power 150 watts. Power range 15-200. So I was wondering if I should go with the RB 1070 or the RB 1080. 1080 is $300 more, do not know if I should go for the extra power or not. Is it needed? I am using the RMB 1075 for center and surrounds.

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
  • Dan Heath
    • Feb 2003

Madd,

I have the Rotel RB-1080. And I think that it's a great amp. I've used it with the older B&W Matrix speakers (91dB) and also with Klipsch Quartets (98dB). The Klipsch's are very efficient. So I'll refer to the B&W's in this discussion since they maybe closer to your setup. The amp has incredible control. The extra power gives it plenty of head room. I was listening to John Kale and Wally Badarou last night. Both have good dynamic range. And even at louder volumes the amp handles it no problem. It's super clear and natural. It presents a great sound stage and detailed separation. It's very neutral sounding and if anything the mids might be a little up front. Which I kind of like. Some of that can be affected by your pre-amp. I don't know what kind of pre-amp you are using. I was using a Luxman (10 yrs old). Which I am now replacing. I'm planning a HT setup and I think I'm going to go with the 1066 1075 combo. And continue to use the 1080 for my fronts. To me it's worth the extra $300. You'll be very happy if you decide on the 1080. Good luck!

How do you like your 1075?

Comment

• Madd
      • Jan 2003

Dan,
      I was just wondering what happened to LUXMAN? Did they just pull out of the North American market? They made some nice stuff I must say. I use the Rotel RSP 1066 Pre/Pro and the RMB 1075. Yes, I love the combo very much. I now need another AMP to go to 7.1. So I am going to get some Studio 60's any day now and need an Amp to power them. Will use the RMB1075 for CC and surrounds. Maybe I will spring for the RB 1080.

Comment

• JohnSC
        • Jun 2002

I have a similar setup with a 1066/1075/RB991 combo. I believe the 991 was replaced by the 1080. When I buy amps I usually go for as much power as I can afford. If you can, get the 1080. I wouldn't worry about having too much power as it is usually too little power that causes damage to speakers.

Whichever way you go, you will be pleased I am sure.

Comment

• Dan Heath
          • Feb 2003

Madd,

I'm not sure on the whole story with Luxman. I know that they had merged or were bought by Alpine. And I think that took place sometime in the mid 80's?? The quality went down hill from what it was before that. I've heard that they are back with new models this year. The quality is suppose to be back. But I haven't heard anything from them in years. And I don't think that they are selling in North America.

** I know this is a Rotel Forum. But... If someone has more info please post it. Or correct anything that I got wrong.

Comment

• ranzigepad
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JohnSC
            I have a similar setup with a 1066/1075/RB991 combo. I believe the 991 was replaced by the 1080. When I buy amps I usually go for as much power as I can afford. If you can, get the 1080. I wouldn't worry about having too much power as it is usually too little power that causes damage to speakers.

Whichever way you go, you will be pleased I am sure.
            same here. i replaced my rb980 for a rb-991 and is sounds mutch better. the extra 80watts gives it more power especialy in the bass parts.

Comment

• terry78
              • Jan 2003

I have the same set-up as Madd (1066/1075/Paradigm studio/60's) and am also considering the 1080 when I add studio/20's as my 7.1 rear channels. For those of you with the Paradigm studio/60's as your front L&R speakers, are you setting them as "large" or "small"?

I had mine set to small but recently changed them to large. I like the improved dynamics and weight, but they don't seem as controlled as before. Also, I'm not sure they integrate quite as well with my studio/CC center speaker set to "small". Just looking for your opinion. ............Terry

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"