X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomm
    • Oct 2005

Which amp, 1070, 1080 or 1075?

hi
    this is my first thread here. i am currently running a 3805 as a preamp (well it's still on order) and i have just purchased a 1070 (thinking of returning) to beef up the fronts. My fronts are krix neuphonix which are rated at 200w rms, 4ohm, 90db @ 1m. my current room is small but i am upgrading within 18 months to 6m x 4m dedicated room. i havn't hooked my gear up as yet but would like some advice on which amp to use. i will not be going for 7 channels, at least not for another 18 months. will the 1070 be better for music than the 1075? i would prefer the 1075 to beef up all channels even though my centre and rears are 6ohm, 110 watt rms, but do not want to sacrifice stereo sound from the 1070. if i went for the 1070, i would look at upgrading to run the 1075 aswell but that would have to wait a while and i may never use 7 channel sound. any help would be appreciated.
    ps, i am not in a position to audition any of these products.
    tom
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Tom,

My vote would be for the RB-1080 for the front channels, especially if you enjoy 2 channel stereo, and run your remaining channels with the 3805. Another option, bi-amp using RMB-1075, I have not tested this, but I am sure others will chime in.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your acoustical journey.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• tomm
      • Oct 2005

thanks for the reply. i'd love the 1080 and i know that it would be an improvement, but is there much difference for stereo between the 1070 and the 1075?

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

One thing I will "warn" you about the 1075, for stereo mode, it is more geared towards imagine for home theater. So it will definitely pin-point vocals to the "phantom" center and instruments to the outside. Some people like this (as I do), other true stereo people don't. The 1080 does not create a center pinpoint for vocals as well as the 1075 does. So over all I think the 1075 might image a little better or has a more focused center than the 1080.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Boombox
          • Oct 2005

Hi tomm...
          Can't comment on the 1075, but I do have a 1070 for stereo. I'm not sure what's your source, but at present I'm using a RDV1040 DVD player for mostly music listening. (The 1072 CD player is at present 2 expensive for me.). The 1070 is rock solid and is underrated compared to the 1080. I am of the opinion that the 1070 will drive a speaker comfortably and powerfully, depending on its source input. The RDV1040 is not doing a particulary good job at music reproduction, and it has made me believe that my amp is under powered, speakers are inefficient, my soundstage is destroyed, inaccurate imaging, etc... I'm going to spend all my money to upgade to a better CD player....
          Don't be concerned about the power of the 1070. I've heard a 50W ultra-high current amp outperforming my set-up (This set-up is around the same price as my set-up).
          Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• FENDEBENDER
            • Sep 2005

peweter pa

I thought the source decide where the image was i have a 1095 and get the image to the middle which i like but i have a professioanl yamaha and it does the same along with a pioneer Elite 56 txi and ditto. 8O

Comment

• Boombox
              • Oct 2005

My point exactly FENDEBENDER. In stereo, the source is, I think, the most important component of the whole set-up and will determine the quality of the soundstage and imaging. It is then just up to the amp to AMPLIFY.

Comment

• Taito
                • Sep 2004

Hi Tomm, I'm curious as to why you are not in a position to audition? I have been to several Rotel dealers in Adelaide who are more than happy to let potential customers audition. I'd be happy fill you in on my experiences with particular dealers if you via private message - let me know if I can help. BTW, I'm really happy with my system, but feel that the RC-1070 is the weakest link.

-Ben

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
                  • Jun 2005

Firstly, the 3805 is a great amp on its own. Secondly, you can't go wrong with the 1075, it drives the Krix range quite well. Thirdly, as Taito pointed out, you should have no problem auditioning anything - Adelaide has quite a few good dealers who are willing to help... Good luck and feel free to drop me a line too...

Regards

Mark

Comment

• Boombox
                    • Oct 2005

sorry guys, thought discussion was about the amp....rather than (pre-) amp...

Comment

• tomm
                      • Oct 2005

if i were to keep the 3805 as a preamp, should i add the 1075 and run all speakers with it or should i go for the 1080 and use the denons internal for the surrounds. i think the 1080 would be better for two channel but not sure about the surrounds. my centre and surround are 6 ohm large bookshelf Krix KDX-m/c?

Comment

• Mark1Ace1
                        • Jun 2005

KDX - excellent both as centre and rears. I personally think the 1075 will suffice for both HT and 2 channel music in this regard. Get the 1075, then add the Seismix 7 in the future, pure hell for your neighbours lol

Mark

Comment

• soundhound
                          • Mar 2004

Hello tomm, I will add to the confusion here. I have had all 3, the 1075 being the longest term. I 1st added it w/ an RSX-1055 reciever, and it was an improvement. The reciever was a pre only @ that point. I then bought a new 1070 for 2 channel fearing I was missing something. It was a good little amp, but did not compare to the 1080 at lower listening levels. The 1080 bettered the 1070 in my setup. The 1080 is now gone, and a 1090 replaced it for 2 channel with the 1075 still in the rack for surround duty. The 1075 is a great piece for the $$, its versatile, sounds Rotel, and just keeps going and going. The beauty being one can usually allways get their money back out of it down the road if the need to upgrade arrises. Bob

Comment

• marekk
                            • Jun 2005

Soundhound - please tell - what is the sonic difference for music that you've experienced switching from 1080 to 1090?

Comment

• Stev
                              • Sep 2005

Soundhound be interested to know your opinion of the 1075 vs 1070 for 2ch SQ ?

Steve

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

I was just trying to point out that the 1080 and 1075 take two channel sound and sound differently. With the same source, cables, and speakers. So it all depends on what kind of sound stage and imagining is done.

For example, there's one Dave Matthews band song, in which Leroi Moore plays his sax on the right side of the sound stage (mainly all comes from the right speaker). I'll try to find what song it is as I don't remember the song off the top of my head. Anyways, with the 1080, his sax sounds like it's outside of the right speaker (to the right of the right speaker), where as the 1075 it sound like the sax is slightly to the left of the speaker.

Now originally I thought this was a width difference in the two amps, but I then found another song where the opposite happened and the 1075 played the sound outside of where the 1080 did...

So the amps can have a different soundstage/image to them.

I'm guessing it's because the 1075 is geared more towards HT and the 1080 to true Stereo.
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

• soundhound
                                  • Mar 2004

marekk, I honestly was a little dissapointed initially as I figured the 1090 should trounce the 1080 right out of the chute and it didn't, as I had expected it would. For 0-45 on the RSP-1068 both sounded similar in my enviroment. But, run the 1068 up to around 65-70 and the 1090 begins to walk away from the 1080. @ 70 on the RSP-1068, I can "feel" the sound from the 1090 like I hadn't from the 1080 pushing on me from 8' away and it isn't so nasty sounding I can't be in the room with it. I kept the 1090, sold the 1080, in leu of one day having a bigger room to fill with sound. Most of our listening is @ around 40-50 on the 1068 so the 2 being equal to me at that point I kept the one with the power in the bank.....The 1080 is a sweet amp if you like Rotel, no doubt about it.....Stev, thinking back I don't recall there being a "huge" difference in the 2, enough so I only had the 1070's for a month or so and moved on to the 1080, where there was a difference, again in my enviroment. The 1075 is also a sweet piece, especially for the price, and it will be a step up from a "reciever" only, with 3 extra channels to boot. Ultimately, as we have all learned, huh Pewter? If you can listen for yourselves to know you have made the right choice, cuz god knows there are plenty of them.........

Comment

• tomm
                                    • Oct 2005

i pulled the trigger on a 1075. thanks all for the advice. my next step is a 1080 but thats a little down the track.

PS. Love the sound and from what i've read, it should get better over the next few weeks/months.

Comment

• marekk
                                      • Jun 2005

thank you soundhound

Comment

• Martinf
                                        • Oct 2003

The RMB-1075 is a good piece of kit. Delivers lots of clean dynamic power over a very wide frequency band. It also: looks awesome; is built like a brick; runs dead quiet -- no hum or hiss; and runs cool, even when volume is cranked-up to insane levels. You simply won't get a better amp for the money.

I've had mine for two years and is running all main channels in my 5.1 setup. Stereo is excellent too. My source is a Denon DVD-A11 universal player, and my pre-pro is the RSP-1066, which I mainly use for it's multichannel analog bypass mode for high-resolution DVD-Audio. I rarely watch films, but when I do (about once a month) it's great with that too. A good sub adds to the experience. In my case the new REL Storm 5 which came out just a few months ago.
                                        I'll be back!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"