X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicente
    • May 2004

Rotel prices USA vs Europe - RMB 1080

Anyone can explain these differences? Maybe Rotel thinks we in Europe are all rich people.

Model--------$ in USA--------$ in Europe

RMB 1095-------1999-------------3085
    RMB 1075---------999-------------1845
    RB 1080----------999-------------1560
    RB 1070----------699---------------975
    RSP 1098--------2999--------------4485
    RSP 1068--------1699--------------2005
    RSX 1067--------2199--------------3539
    RSX 1056--------1299--------------2359
    RDV 1060---------899--------------1180
    RCD 1072---------699--------------1060

Change has been made 1 Euro = 1,18 US Dollars

I expect to go to New York in a few days and I'm tempted to buy an RB1080. Can anyone give me the name of a shop in Manhattan with a good deal for it.

Also, can I buy a unit in USA ready for 220 V/50 Hz? If not, is it easy to change the voltage? I heard something that all units come prepared for both and the only thing you have to do is move some interior switches. Is that true?
    Last edited by Vicente; 24 November 2005, 08:52 Thursday. Reason: spaces between prices did'n showed up as blanks
  • bzrk
    • Oct 2005

i bought my 1068 for 1400 euro which is about 1700 dollars.

yes it is ridicilous... but are us taxes included in these prices? and dont forget that you may have to pay tax when you cross the border
    Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• Vicente
      • May 2004

Well, I'm talking about Rotel price list.

Sure you can find better deals but in the place I live I can't get more than a 5 to 7% discount.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Also, can I buy a unit in USA ready for 220 V/50 Hz? If not, is it easy to change the voltage? I heard something that all units come prepared for both and the only thing you have to do is move some interior switches. Is that true?
        You can't buy 220/50Hz models in the USA. Different Rotel products have different ways of switching voltage. For the amplifiers it is usually a change to the transformer tap which your dealer can do for a fee. However you also loose warantee when you do this (warantee is country specifci and generally based on the original dealer and purchaser).

The USA have some of the cheapest hi fi prices in the world. For example the price of the B&W 802D at US $12000 works out much less than people pay in the UK where they are made... Equally Europe has some of the highest prices of hi fi equiment in the world - who knows why!!!

Geoff

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Unfortunately, a US/Euro price difference exists for almost everything (remember the US prices are always plus tax though). But, I suppose the prices are set at what the market will stand. If Europeans didn't buy any Rotel gear, maybe they'd have to drop the prices

But be very careful buying US electrical goods for Europe. You usually loose any warranty, and if the friendly customs man stops you, it can be very expensive. Not only is the voltage different, but the cycles too. Always check that the PSU will handle 220v/50Hz, the auto-switching ones are the best. Using an extra 110/220v transformer is not really a good idea - they hum, and get hot.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Fishy
            • Jul 2004

I know why the prices are so over the top here in the UK. Our government are a thieving bunch of .....

Fish

Comment

• markusp
              • Jul 2004

Thieves? I thought our current Canadian Government were thieves? They definitely appear to be so if you keep up with the news and scandals lately.

Comment

• csuzor
                • Nov 2004

Yes, it is incredible.

There are marketing reasons: why would the 1056 be cheaper than the 1068 in the US, when the 1056 has everything from the 1068 + more? because the 1068 is viewed as an audiophile component, and those guys are prepared to pay more, while the 1056 is aimed at american mass market... in europe, all Rotel gear is aimed at audiophiles.

There are exchange rate reasons: currently €1=$1.18, 18m ago €1=$0.85, so typically companies use €1=$1 and don't worry about changes.

Too bad the americans have different power supply. I buy a lot of non-US stuff in the US and import it, but not hi-fi. Heavy-duty transformers, capable of voltage and frequency change, are expensive.

Comment

• Jurgen
                  • Jul 2003

Yep, In Europe it is usually more expensive. Although there is one exception that comes to mind: some projector brands are much cheaper over here (esp Epson and Hitachi).

Comment

• Boombox
                    • Oct 2005

let me tell you about South Africa....!!!

In the last few years, prices of electronic products have taken a plunge.....cheapest DVD player R399 (US$60 - US$1 = R6.65)....but that is not a Rotel!!
                    RCD1072 - R7 500 (US$1100).....so its typical ... close to the European prices. The power issue might be a factor (220/50Hz which we also use), but really :M ;

I think the issue is about units sold....I'm sure the US sells 10-20x more units of a particular model than here in Africa or Europe....that said, its cheaper there!!!

Will the same trend happen here if prices were to come down...???:E

...if the RB1080 would have cost the same here as in the US, I would have put an order in now via SMS.... :T
                    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Boombox
                      • Oct 2005

as an illustration....

The RB1080 (R12500 - US$1900) is double the price of an RB1070 (R6200 - US$940); not US$300, but US1k....who will want to upgrade????
                      Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"