Getting ready to join - Some 1055 questions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • squigly1
    • Feb 2003

Getting ready to join - Some 1055 questions.

Hi all. I'm almost ready to join the club but I have some questions concerning the 1055. Please bear with me as some of these may have been answered in other threads, though I could not seem to find them.

1. Can the 1055 be found in black rather than silver?
    2. What is the component switching bandwidth? As is often the case, there are more devices(2HD + 1DVD) than inputs available on my tv.
    3. What is the scoop regarding bass management for dvd-a/sacd? I have what can be considered small, non full range speakers, and a sub. Would I need something like an ICBM?
    4. How is the remote?
    5. Where, In Toronto/GTA - Southern Ontario, to get good pricing and approx. what prices we talking?

I will be replacing a 6-7 year old Pioneer receiver. I was looking at the HK525 and Denon 3803. I'm thinking the Rotel is a better choice and it also allows me to add amps later on to improve on it. I currently only require and have room for 5.1 sound.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to the responses.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1. Can the 1055 be found in black rather than silver?

Yes silver or black

2. What is the component switching bandwidth? As is often the case, there are more devices(2HD + 1DVD) than inputs available on my tv.

The new ones will do HDTV no problem

3. What is the scoop regarding bass management for dvd-a/sacd? I have what can be considered small, non full range speakers, and a sub. Would I need something like an ICBM?

Currently an ICBM would be a benefitial add on in your case.

4. How is the remote?
    IMO it sucks but then I've yet to find an OEM remote that I did like which is why I highly recomend you look at something like a philips pronto or one of the theater masters (MX500). There's a thread in the electronics area on a cheap pronto.

5. Where, In Toronto/GTA - Southern Ontario, to get good pricing and approx. what prices we talking?

Not sure of any dealers around you but I believe the 1055 goes for about $1600 cdn.

Comment

• RogueAngel
      • Jun 2002

Andrew,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think those of us with a 1055 and no separate amp, can not benefit from using an ICBM. The ICBM can't go between the DVD-A/SACD player and the 1055 because the bass doubling occurs in the 1055 and there is no way to connect the ICBM between the pre-amp stage and the power amp stage, correct?

I think the solution is to set the sub to "NO" and use a speaker level crossover like the ones on most plate amps or an external crossover like the X Models from Paradigm.

Again, correct me if I am missing something here.

Bobbi

Comment

• gianni
        • Nov 2002

Re. #3: If you are using small speakers, depending on their freq. response, you will be less affected by the bass mgmt. issue. The small speakers natural roll-off should avoid most of the problems of any double bass when not using a digital input.

I have small speakers and when listening to SACD on my 1055, there is barely a noticable difference in bass as opposed to running the same hybrid CD through the digital path.

Bottom line: the questions you have raised have not presented any real problems in my case.

In theory w/ SACD I am not benefitting of eliminating the low signals to the mains which should clean up the mains a bit, but to me SACD does sound better in certain aspects even if there is some doubling.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

ops: oops you're right about the 1055 and ICBM...I just assume everyone's using it as a pre amp :LOL:

Comment

• squigly1
            • Feb 2003

Thanks for the responses.

Is there any way to differentiate the older low bandwidth models from the newer high bandwidth models? What is the allocated bandwidth on the 1055?

Comment

• princeoliver
              • Jan 2003

Regarding #5: I got my RSX972 from Bracks Electronics over Christmas. They had a close out sale and I got a very good deal on it. Other Rotel dealers in the GTA includes Regency audio/video (I think that is the name) on Woodbine Ave. just north of Steeles. There is also Brentview Electronics on Mt. Pleasant Rd. and Canadian Sound in Brampton.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"