X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

What's the scoop on the NS10-513?

So Madisound has dropped the price on the Aurasound NS10-513-4A again. Originally $179, it was going for $109 for a while now, and it has just dropped to $98. At this price, it is really, really tempting to pick up a pair to play with, but a search through the forum seems to show a history of failed attempts to do something meaningful with this driver (e.g., too low of impedance dips combined with bad phase angles, etc.). However, the driver models really well in Unibox, and seems to have a pretty good FR, good distortion and it plays pretty high for a 10" driver. Heck, with 20mm of Xmax, it might even do a pretty good job as a subwoofer.

So, for the experts who have used this driver before, successfully or unsuccessfully, what's the scoop here? Is this the driver equivalent of "really hot, but bats**t crazy" that you have a really memorable weekend with, but then have to go get a restraining order to keep her from killing you?

Bill
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If I had a place to store them I'd buy a dozen....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

me too... :T

Comment

• chasw98
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
        If I had a place to store them I'd buy a dozen....
        What?
        My house isn't close enough for you to store them at?

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

It's discontinued- hence the price. It's a great driver, but low impedance and low sensitivity might require you go with a pair in series or use them as subs, which is where I personally feel they perform best, rather than "woofers."

Comment

• Bear
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jed
            It's discontinued- hence the price. It's a great driver, but low impedance and low sensitivity might require you go with a pair in series or use them as subs, which is where I personally feel they perform best, rather than "woofers."
            At $98/driver, two of these aren't THAT much more expensive than a single Peerless 10" XLS/XXLS. As I've indicated in some e-mails between you and me, I've been very tempted to put a couple of pairs of these into service in isobaric enclosures with passive radiators. A little complicated for the cabinetry if I don't use a simple clamshell, but mid-100s at 20Hz from 20L is pretty compelling to explore if you have the amp power to drive it. The sad part is that at $98, they are almost cheaper than the 10" Peerless PR! :E
            Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Well the price is right for a small sub that's for sure.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Bear
                So Madisound has dropped the price on the Aurasound NS10-513-4A again. Originally $179, it was going for $109 for a while now, and it has just dropped to $98. At this price, it is really, really tempting to pick up a pair to play with, but a search through the forum seems to show a history of failed attempts to do something meaningful with this driver (e.g., too low of impedance dips combined with bad phase angles, etc.). However, the driver models really well in Unibox, and seems to have a pretty good FR, good distortion and it plays pretty high for a 10" driver. Heck, with 20mm of Xmax, it might even do a pretty good job as a subwoofer.

So, for the experts who have used this driver before, successfully or unsuccessfully, what's the scoop here? Is this the driver equivalent of "really hot, but bats**t crazy" that you have a really memorable weekend with, but then have to go get a restraining order to keep her from killing you?

Bill
                I would have to disagree with Jed on this driver being good for a 3-way. I've used it for a few different designs and it plays very clean with plenty of output capability.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Rick Craig
                  I would have to disagree with Jed on this driver being good for a 3-way. I've used it for a few different designs and it plays very clean with plenty of output capability.
                  I was following the thread where Jed was working with the NS10 in a 3-way. He was crossing it over at about 250Hz(?) so it would work well with an Accuton C79(?) and later a TB W4. Any who, I think Jed decided the Seas 10 inch did a better job in the midbass.

The NS10 probably is Okay, but Jed's like comparing it to drivers that are better in the upper mid-bass region.

Like I should be speaking for Jed, but I have nothing better to do right now.

Am I wrong?
                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

A single NS10 513 crossed low in a passive system results in an impedance that dips below 3 ohms in most parallel crossover topologies and the sensitivity is pretty low. That's why I recommended a pair in series for those considering it. I have no doubt Rick can make these sing is his 3 ways, just I think the Excel W26 measures better and sounds cleaner, has higher sensitivity, higher impedance, etc in a 3 way passive system. Though at a cost- might as well compare the RS270s, which is also very clean from 80-500hz, hence my "woofer" comment. Anyone wanting to compare the RS270s, L26, W26, NS10 513 can check out my harmonic distortion sweeps under the woofer section in my website and decide what might work best for his/her application, rather than rely on generalizations. If I were to use the NS10 today, which I won't bother because it's discontinued (current pricing is very appealing, however), I'd use a pair wired in series, crossed around 200hz to a 6" midrange. Or, use them as subs actively crossed below 100hz.

Have a good night.

Jed

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Wow 98 bucks...

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"