best way to connect ICBM to 1066 w/ new firmware?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris3G
    • Sep 2002

best way to connect ICBM to 1066 w/ new firmware?

As per Dre J's bass management reports and solutions, the best way to connect the 1066 and an ICBM (not including 5.1 inputs) is to set the sub to "off" in the 1066 menu setup, sending LFE bass to the front channels, and then letting the ICBM sort it out. The downside to this setup is the loss of the ability to adjust the sub level from the remote, and that the LFE channel is crossed over at whatever crossover point is set for the front main speakers on the ICBM. (although i believe this happens anyway when using the 1066 to do bass management without an external device)

I was thinking, with the 2.24 firmware and the ability to set the sub to "off" for stereo, it should be possible to get an optimal setup for music and movies by setting all speakers to large, the sub to "On" and then setting the sub to "off" for stereo only. With this setup, the 1066 won't be doing ANY bass management at all. You can adjust the sub level on the icbm to the proper levels for music, and then still be able to tweak the sub output for movies with the remote. It will also pass the full 120hz LFE signal since the ICBM will now be getting the LFE information as a seperate input rather than joined with the front mains. For music the rotel won't output anything on the sub channel, and the ICBM will receive the full-range signal on the main speaker inputs and will cross it over correctly to the sub.

Does this make any sense? I think it should work for everything except the .1 channel on the multi inputs, but i don't listen to any multichannel music so that won't be an issue anyway. (just out of curiousity, do most multi channel discs use the .1 channel, or are they mostly 5.0? seems weird to use a mono bass channel for music)

anyone have any input?
  • Dre J
    • Aug 2002

Chris,

What I provided was/is a straightforward and comprehensive set of solutions depending on your needs. They are not the perfect answer for everyone. They solve the issues at hand.

I'd encourage you to set it up the way I suggest as a benchmark. Please remember to calibrate when you do. Live with it for a few days in this configuration.

After that, you can try any method you wish to see what works best for you.

The beauty of this hobby is the ability to take fundamental settings and change them to suit your personal preferences.

Try this and you will have a better appreciation for your final settings. However they may turn out.

Enjoy
    Dre

My little corner of the world

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"
    My little corner of the world

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

Comment

• cwzell
      • Feb 2003

A word of caution about your proposed setup. You would be doing bass management in the ICBM AFTER the 1066 adjusted for speaker distance delays, and that may result in some funny addition problems(phase causing cancellations, etc.). Don't know for sure how much effect it would have, but you might want to try it both ways like Dre says. I would probably not do it the way you suggest myself.

Cheers,
      Chris

Comment

• Chris3G
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by cwzell
        A word of caution about your proposed setup. You would be doing bass management in the ICBM AFTER the 1066 adjusted for speaker distance delays, and that may result in some funny addition problems(phase causing cancellations, etc.). Don't know for sure how much effect it would have, but you might want to try it both ways like Dre says. I would probably not do it the way you suggest myself.

Cheers,
        Chris
        Wouldn't that be the case with either setup? Bass management for the 5 main channels is handled the same in both cases, the only difference is the way the ICBM receives the LFE signal.

Comment

• cwzell
          • Feb 2003

Wouldn't that be the case with either setup? Bass management for the 5 main channels is handled the same in both cases, the only difference is the way the ICBM receives the LFE signal.
          I don't think so. I'm fairly certain that the Rotel does all bass management processing before the individual channels are delayed.

Cheers,
          Chris

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"