X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cougar Guy
    • Feb 2003

Which Rotel combo for HT . . .

Hey everyone, I was just advised of this forum and I think it is the place to get the answer.

I currently have a Rotel RB-1080, a pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 80's and a Paradigm PW-2200. I'm considering expanding my system to HT and I will be going with Paradigm Reference for the additional speakers (CC and Surrounds). I may also add another 2200.

What I'm wondering is if I should go with a Rotel RMB-1095 (or RMB-1075) amp and a seperate processor or if I should go with a Rotel 1065 receiver. I want to continue to use my RB-1080 in the system (most likely for the main channels?).

My main question is whether the dynamics and sound quality would be THAT much better with the 1095 or 1075.

I would also like to expand to DVD-Audio eventually. Do you think the receiver route would be selling myself short or would you think the 100w to the center and surrounds would be ample? Would there be problems with having the different wattages for the different channels?

My room is around 1500 cubic feet and while I don't need full theatrical levels, I often "like it loud"

Thanks for the input, I know this is a failry long question.

p.s. I just checked prices today and the 1095/processer route is roughly 2,000 more (Canadian). I suspect the 1075/processor route would be at least 1,00 more although I'd have to check on that. Given that the Studio's are a fairly easy load, do you think that extra dough is justified?

Thanks!
  • Madd
    • Jan 2003

You could also go with the RSX 1055 receiver and the RMB 1095 AMP. Use the RSX 1055 for the CB's and the 1095 for the other channels. The Rsx 1055 is $700 cheaper then the RSX 1065, which is why it's so popular.

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
    Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• Cougar Guy
      • Feb 2003

Thanks for the reply Madd,

Do you think it's necessary to use seperate amplification (like the 1095) or would the amp in the 1065/1055 (for the center and surrounds) along with my 1080 (for the mains) be a good combo?

I'll be spending quite a bit of money so I want to make sure I get the right mix. I don't want to shell out the money and get home and think "I should have got the seperates". However, I also have a budget . . . things would be so much easier if I was a millionaire Just thinking that the law of diminishing returns is going to start kicking in at some point.

If I didn't have the 1080 I would be thinking 1075 or 1095 all the way. Perhaps the 1075 and my 1080 would be a good compromise? I want to keep utlizing my 1080 as I don't have another system it could be used in. Do you think the 1065/1075 could "keep up" given that it wouldn't be used for the mains (I understand that the mains require the most power in a HT setup . . . please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks!

Comment

• princeoliver
        • Jan 2003

I believe the RSX1055 or 1065 is probably enough for your centre and rear channels. I recently got a RSX972 to complement my RB985. At first I consider just using the 972 alone to drive my Mirage OM6 front, Energy AC300 centre and Mirage M7si rear speakers (selling the 985). The sound was just OK. In fact if you listen for a while, the Mirages were clearly asking for more power. Then I had all my speakers bi-amp with the 972 going to the high and the 985 going to the low. It worked OK until I hear that something was still not quite right. The 972 still did not have quite the power to drive the highs when compare to the 985. Therefore the lows overwhelm the highs. Then last weekend, I use the 985 to bi-amp the front speakers. The centre channel is bi-amp between the 972 and 985. The highs immediately came back to my system! But of course my rears are now all driven by the 972 and the front amps in the 972 are not being use. But since I use my system much more for music than HT, I believe this probably the best set up.

Comment

• Cougar Guy
          • Feb 2003

Thanks for the reply princeoliver.

I received some other feedback from a different board and now I'm thinking a 1075 in conjunction with my 1080. The thing is, given my budget I could go the 1075 and a processor and no second sub or the receiver and a sub. I think they would be in the same price range.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure if I really need a second sub so the 1075 route may be the way to go. I've also been given the idea of going with the receiver and purchasing a pair of Studio 100's for the front and using my 80's for the surrounds. That could be a great combo although I'd have to cut some dough out of another area of the budget to get away with that.

I never thought of all these options. Thanks for your time!

Comment

• Claude D D
            • Jan 2003

I have a RB-1080 for my main speakers and a RMB-1075 for the center and surrounds running a RSP-1066 for the pre/pro.Go for it you won't regret it.It's a very sweet combo. :LOL:

Comment

• Cougar Guy
              • Feb 2003

Hey Claude D D,

The 1080/1075 combo is the one that I'm considering most right now . . . I suspect it would sound great . . . and look nice as well

What are you running for speakers?

Also, any idea what a 1075 and a RSP-1066 goes for in Edmonton? I haven't priced those models out locally (Prince George, BC) but I suspect they would be similar. I've got a great dealer locally and I would like to buy through them but I'm just wondering what they would run price wise. Of course saving 7.5% PST is always attractive and if I'm out there for an Oilers/Eskimos game . . .

Comment

• Claude D D
                • Jan 2003

I got my gear at Premier Audio in Edmonton 780-488-8778 give Rick or Tim a call,tell 'em I sent ya,they're great guys.I currently run Definitive Tech BP10B's for the front,check out my pics in the gallery.My brother in law lives in PG, Sean Kennett,it's a small planet. 8)

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                  • Feb 2003

Thanks for the number for Premier, I'll give them a shout for sure.

Although I don't know your brother in law (stranger things have happened), I do agree that it's a small world :LOL:

Thanks for the info!

p.s. nice pics

Comment

• Dan Heath
                    • Feb 2003

Cougar Guy,
                    I'm in the same boat. I also have a RB-1080 that I want to continue using for my fronts. And now that I'm switching from two channel to multi-channel. I can't decide on seperates or a receiver. please let me know what you decide. Or options that you come up with. The 1080/1075 combo sounds like a sweet setup!

Dan

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                      • Feb 2003

Hey Dan,

I won't be buying until the end of summer but that research stage can take so long!

At first I was considering the receiver and while I think it would have enough power for the center and surrounds, for the extra money I figured I may as well go with the seperate amp. I was originally thinking RMB-1095 but I think it would be overkill for what I needed . . . and it was a little too pricey for my budget. I think the 1075 will be a good compromise although a little more money than the receiver route (I still have to check out prices for details).

I figure with seperates you will ALWAYS have a soild set of amps and the only real upgrade you will need will be the processor side of things. I'd hate to spend a few grand (Canadian) on a receiver and end up upgrading and not utilizing the amp section which was paid for . . . it almost seems like a waste. I have the room for seperates and there are bound to be performance improvements as well . . . even if they are minor. I also think that the 1075 would be a better option in case I decide to upgrade to more inefficient/demanding speakers in the future. That won't be for a while but at least I would be prepared if it does happen.

Can't discount the fact that a 1080, 1075 and processor would look so damn cool sitting in a rack 8)

When I do the upgrade later this year you can bet there will be an update. Let me know what you are thinking. It's always nice to get different ideas.

Comment

• Dan Heath
                        • Feb 2003

I agree with you about the seperates thing. If you buy good amps your are always going to have good amps. I'm still leaning toward the RSX-1055 though. Another thought was to go with the RSP-1066 and also the RMB-1066 (6X60W or 3X150W). Which would allow me to use my 1080 for Front L/R. And the RMB-1066 (In bridged configuration) for Surround L/R and Center. Some would say that if I'm going to spend $700 (US) for a RMB-1066 I might as well spend the extra $300 to get the RMB-1075. I haven't decided. I'm still reading info and auditioning setups.

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                          • Feb 2003

Yeah, I would think the RMB-1075 would be well worth the extra 300.00.

What are you running for speakers? My big thing is I wouldn't want to worry about not having enough power to the center and surrounds given the big amp that will be running the mains. Do you think that would be a problem (i.e. pushing the system just a little too hard for what the receiver can handle even though the 1080 wouldn't even be stressed)? Maybe it's a non-issue . . . how demanding are the center and surround channles for an amp? I wouldn't think it would be huge but I honestly don't know.

Perhaps the extra amplification of the 1075 or even the RSX-1065 would be overkill unless you are running full range sealers all around?

Comment

• Dan Heath
                            • Feb 2003

I'm running Klipsch Quartets for my mains. They're about 10 years old. They are fairly efficient and I still like them.

As I get more into switching over to a HT setup. I can't get past how good the B&W speakers sound. And If I replace the Klipschs' I'd most likely go with the B&W 602 S3 or the 604 S3. The CC is the B&W LCR600 S3. Surrounds are Sonance 623SSTR.

I'm not too familiar with the Paradigm 80's. But your original post said that they were a fairly easy load. How about the CC and surrounds. Are they over 90dB (1W/1m)? And what's the power handling? You have a good point about pushing the receiver. But that might only be the case for the CC. Which I might run into on the B&W LCR600 S3. It's rated 25-150W. 75W would probably be ok. Depending on how loud and what kind of material I was listening to. I like my music pretty loud. Not "The neighbors calling the police" loud. But you know... I wouldn't pick up the phone and try to have a conversation. So under some intese music/movie sound track passages the reserve (head room) of the amp could be pretty pushed. I plan to try it out pretty good before I buy.

Oh yeah about the full range speakers... :LOL: I wish I had the $$ to do that. My full range speakers are sitting in my garage... 1999 C5 Vette...

Dan

Comment

• Claude D D
                              • Jan 2003

An RMB-1075 will push any efficient loudspeaker in an average size room to fairly high volumes.Especially so if you're running a sub and the rest of your speakers are set to small.
                              Just remember with any given speaker,every time you double your amplifier power you're only adding 3db volume.I've heard the front speaker combo that you're considering with the Rotel and they match quite nice.

As for the Vette you can probably take it out for a blast anytime you want,I have about 2 ft of snow on the driveway behind my garage and an access alley that you need a 4x4 to drive down,so I've gotta wait until spring to get my 80 Vette rollin' again,but by then gas is suppost to be up to over $4 a gallon($75 a tank). :cry:

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                                • Feb 2003

The Studio CC is rated at 90db with suggested amp between 15-175 watts. The surrounds I would be using are either 89db or 90db . . . I have a couple of different choices. Suggested amp range is 15-150 watts or 15-175 watts respectfully.

My main speakers are rated at 92db efficieny with suggested range between 15-250 watts. Do you think the receiver would be okay with those loads? Given the specs, it doesn't seem THAT much different than the 1075. I'm not sure if the amp section in the 1075 is significantly better than the receiver.

p.s. I'd take the full range surrounds you have in your garage any day!!!!! My full range surrounds currently take the form of 4x4 repairs, mainly due to the conditions that Claude D D describes . . . we only live about 8 hours apart

Comment

• Dan Heath
                                  • Feb 2003

Yeah I feel pretty spoiled with the weather here in AZ most of the time. I can relate to what you guys are talking about though. I lived in the Milwaukee, WI area for about a year. The day after I moved there it snowed like 10+ inches.

Claude D D - I hope the weather breaks early this year so you can get your car out!

Cougar Guy - I sold my 4X4 about a year ago. I've missed it ever since. I'll probably look at getting another after I finish the HT. I think the 1055 would drive all of your speakers fine. Your ear is going to be the best judge. And for me I plan on testing the 1075 1080 1066 combo. As well as the 1055 1080 combo. I'm still leaning toward the 1055 1080 combo myself.

1055 vs. 1075 amps internally different? I don't think it's that much different. I think the THD is about .05% less on the 1075. I don't think that I could hear the .05% difference.

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                                    • Feb 2003

Hey Dan,

I think you are probably right in your assessment especially given my room size ad speaker load . I suspect I'll end up auditioning the options and making my decision based on that.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

• Claude D D
                                      • Jan 2003

Just go for the RSP-1066,RB-1080 (which you already have) and the RMB-1075. You won't be dissapointed!!!

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                                        • Feb 2003

Hey Claude D D,

That's probably what I will go for. After looking at the suggested prices, it would be around another 700.00 or so over the 1065 and then I wouldn't be stuck thinking "I wonder what it wouldv'e been like . . ." That's gotta be worth a few hundered on its own

Besides, after seeing your pics, that combo just looks too damn cool!

Comment

• Dan Heath
                                          • Feb 2003

Just a little follow up. I bought a RSX-1055 over the weekend. I also picked up the B&W LCR600 S3 center and a pair of Sonance 622-TR surrounds. I'm really happy with the way everything turned out. The 1055 is pretty impressive. I have it running the center and surrounds. And I have my RB-1080 running my fronts. I still have some tweaking to do. And eventually add a sub.

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                                            • Feb 2003

I am very interested in your question and would also like to know.... Other than power,what the difference between the RMB-1075 Vs. the RMB-1095.

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                                              • Feb 2003

Thanks for the update Dan. Have you had a chance to measure what kind of DB's you are running your system at?

BKsinAZ, I honestly couldn't tell you . . . if I dug out my product manual I suspect it has lower distortion and perhaps a better damping factor. The 1095 is a tank! I think it would be great if you had full range speakers all around or really tough to drive speakers but I think it's overkill for any application I could afford in the next 5 years Oh . . . and while the 1075 would break your foot if you dropped it, the 1095 would force you to get it surgically removed from the subfloor

Comment

• Dan Heath
                                                • Feb 2003

Cougar

I haven't had a chance to check that out. Currently I don't have a meter to measure dB. Frank the guy I deal with at the local Audio store suggested that I look into buying or renting one. The reason being to setup all of the speakers to the same volume in regards to the seating position. I guess I should check out Radio Shack or something like that. Do you have any experience with that? Models or Brands? I hope I answered your question. Is that what you meant by the dB I'm getting?

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                                                  • Feb 2003

Just curious, what part of AZ are you in?
                                                  I am in Tucson

Comment

• Dan Heath
                                                    • Feb 2003

I'm in the Phoenix area.

I think Tucson has the only Bryston dealer in the state.

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                                                      • Feb 2003

Tucson has one Rotel Dealer......"Wilson Audio", though I normally deal with Sounds like Music" in Phoenix

Comment

• Cougar Guy
                                                        • Feb 2003

Hey Dan,

Yeah that's what I was talking about. I've played around with my buddies Radio Shack SPL meter but nothing really serious. I never bothered to buy one because my system is strictly for music right now . . . don't really have to match levels, just turn it up

From what I've heard, it is pretty important for HT to get everything balanced. I think the Radio Shack one is decent but I'm honestly not sure. Let me know if you give it a try and how it works!

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"