Volume clicking RSX 1055, RSX 1065, RSP 1066, RSX 1056, RSX 1067, RSP 1068, RSP 1098?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lmib
    • Jul 2004

Volume clicking RSX 1055, RSX 1065, RSP 1066, RSX 1056, RSX 1067, RSP 1068, RSP 1098?

Hi all of you RSX 1055 and RSX 1056 owners,

i have an interesting problem, for that I cannot find a thread in the forum. I was sure I read something about this, but I'm not quite sure.

My RSX 1055 make a continues popping while changing the volume above 30. Under 25 it isn't hearable.

I have my RSX 1055 for one and a half year now and I recognized it only cause I tried a test CD from the famous german hifi magazine >audio<.

Normally I really seldom change the volume, really often, when theres is no music. So I first set the volume, than I listen to the songs and after that I stop the CD and turn everything off.

Is this an known problem. Should I sent my unit back?
    I doesn't want to stay a few month without my RSX 1055.
    I need it for sounding my son into sleep with the >Themes< CD from >Vangelis<.

With normal music it isn't easy to hear this popping, but with a sinus tone, like they are on this test CD's you can hear them very easily.

Any support is really appreciated.

Ciaó lmib
    Last edited by lmib; 25 January 2006, 16:02 Wednesday.
    lmib
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

The only popping sound I experienced was the well reported popping sound when switching between DSP and Digital modes. This was eliminated when I updated the software on my 1055.

Have you ever updated the software on yours?
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• lmib
      • Jul 2004

Hi Vincent,

I have 2.225 and I never updated my software, but now I'm thinking about it. I'm sure that I do not have the popping while changing digital modes, but I have a pop after every song while in digital mode. Do you mean this? This should be solved with the actual firmware I'm quite sure, but the popping while changing the volume upon 30 I never heard, that it was solved in the firmware update. Probably I have a faulty unit. :cry:

Ciaó lmib
      lmib

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by lmib
        Hi Vincent,
        I have 2.225 and I never updated my software, but now I'm thinking about it.
        what is the latest version ??
        - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

2.26 was the last that was released. Considering this was the fix:

V2.25 to V2.26
          - Eliminated popping sound heard during DSP and Digital mode transitions.
          - Set surround mode to default to DPLII when selected rather than reverting to PCM
          2CH when changing channels with Digital Cable or Satellite sources.

It might be worth a shot. I've never heard of popping while changing volume so I'm going to guess a trip to Rotel will be in order if the firmware doesn't fix it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lmib
            • Jul 2004

Hi Kevin,

I tried it this morning, but after I prepared my Notebook with 2.26 and the Hyper Terminal Private, I recognized that I couldn't find the cable and that my Notebook do not have a serial output. So I have to wait till Monday evening, when I will take my company notebook with me at home, which definetly has a serial output. I hope I can find the cable tomorrow afternoon. At the moment I cannot do anything, because my parents in law are here for a visit.

When I have the cable and the company notebook (HP NC8000), I will defintely try an update to 2.26. My wife doesn't want it, cause she is scary that something can fail.

Can somebody try to create my volume problem with a test CD with a sinus track? I really hope that the firmware 2.26 solves this problem. I cannot send my unit to Rotel, cause I love my RSX 1055 and really cannot live without her.

Stay tuned, I'll keep you informed about the results.

Ciaó limb
            lmib

Comment

• lmib
              • Jul 2004

Hi all you Rotellians,

i have searched the forum now for a real long period about every issue about clicking, popping or any similar sounds and I found this interesting thread linked above.

So, I'm sure that a software upgrade will not solve the problem. But what interests me is: Has every Unit this problem? If this is quite normal everybody should have this effect.

Can anybody of you check this out for me?

Thanks in advance.

Ciaó lmib ;x(
              lmib

Comment

• pbarata
                • Feb 2003

I’ve my RSP-1066 with firmware version 2.26.

Yes, when changing volume, up or down, its audible a clicking for each step. However this is only noticeable very close to the speakers (less than 1 meter).

When switching between DSP and Digital modes I can not ear any popping sound.

Annoying however is the popping between CD tracks when I’m using the digital out of my RCD-1070. If I use the analog out, this popping its not present.
                Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• lmib
                  • Jul 2004

Hi pbarata,

thank you, for your testing.

Probably only the 1055 / 1066 units are effected with this volume clicking problem.

It would be interesting to know, if also 1056 / 1068 are infected with this problem.

So I have to recognize, that a software update doesn't solve the vloume clicking problem.

A very interesting thing for me is, that I also do not have a popping, when I change digital modes although I have only 2.225.

But the most interesting issue is, that you still have the popping between CD Tracks. I thought that this is solved with the latest firmware.

Can anybody, who owns the RSX1056 or RSP 1068 confirm, if this bug is still available in the actual versions of their firmware. If this is true, I made a big mistake, when taking the RSX 1055 instead of the RSX 1056.

Thanks in advance for checking this.

Ciaó lmib :rofl:
                  Last edited by lmib; 25 January 2006, 15:45 Wednesday.
                  lmib

Comment

• arrow
                    • Mar 2005

1068 are effect as well we have a pre that does the same thing

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
                      • May 2004

Yes, our RSP 1068 has a slight pop with each volume step change (So did the NAD that the RSP 1068 replaced... NAD claimed that the pop was expected and normal behaviour for the type of volume control in the unit.)

Jon

Comment

• pbarata
                        • Feb 2003

Hi Imib,

Normally I ear CDs through the analog out, but after your post I did some testing again and I’ve found that clicking between CD tracks only happens with some CD’s. I’m positive that this is not a RCD-1070 problem as I could reproduce the same clicking using the digital out from my Pioneer DVD player.
                        Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                        Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• lmib
                          • Jul 2004

Hi pbarata,

I recognized the same.

The clicking with the tracks was also there, when I still used my Yamaha DVD S2300 in CD an in DVD Mode and I also have it with my RCD 1072 and my RDV 1050 so it is definitely a problem my RSX 1055 has.

As I saw in the answer from >arrow< and >chracking oboe< the 1068 has the same problems in >volume clicking< .

So it would be interesting to know, if the RSX 1056, the RSX 1065, the RSX 1067 and the RSP 1098 has also this problem of clicking while changing the volume.

Could some of those owners could check this?

Thanks in advance for your testing.

Ciaó lmib ;x(
                          lmib

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by lmib
                            So it would be interesting to know, if the RSX 1056, the RSX 1065, the RSX 1067 and the RSP 1098 has also this problem of clicking while changing the volume.
                            I own the RSX-1056 and have the faint volume clicking too. According to Rotel this is normal behavior of a digitally controlled attenuator. There is nothing wrong with your system and there is nothing that Rotel can nor will do to fix it.
                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Mark_C.
                              • Jan 2003

RSP 1066-no clicking at any level, at any distance. No popping when playing CDs or changing DSP modes.

Comment

• lmib
                                • Jul 2004

Thanks Rebel, thanks Mark,

now it gets really interesting.

Rebel says it's normal but Mark doesn't has it.

Hmmmm. Probably Mark has to sent his unit in. :E

What firmware do you have Mark, 2.XX or 1.XX ?

Has anybody else no >volume clicking< ?

And what is with the RSX 1065, RSX 1067 and the RSP 1098 ?

Do anybody else has this problem ?

My curiosity is more and more increasing.

Good to know, that I'm not alone.

Thanks in advance for testing.

Ciaó lmib
                                lmib

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

I just re-read your original question. If you only here the clicking with no sound or a solid sound (sine wave) the clicking is normal, for the reason previously said. I was envisioning loud clicks coming through the normal sound.

Here's another, if you turn to an unused input and crank the volume up to max, you'll get a lot of hiss and noise and hums and such.. That's normal too.

In general, anything that happens when non-normal or no sound is on can probably be ignored.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lmib
                                    • Jul 2004

Thanks Kevin,

you convinced me, that I do not have to sent my unit to Rotel. Probably the volume clicking is normal and I have to live with this effect.

But now, I don't know, If I still should do a firmware upgrade, cause my original 'effect' cannot be solved.

The effect, of the slight click at the end of a CD or a DVD track, is also not solved with firmware 2.26. So should I really do an update?
                                    What is, when something fails? Then I have to send my unit in. Is it worth the risk. Do I have any important features with the new firmware release?

Is there anybody, who wants to convince me, to do an upgrade?

Any comments appreciated. I need a decision, because this weekend I have my company notebook (with a serial port) at home and on sunday I have a little bit time to do it.

Should I?

Ciaó lmib :roll:
                                    lmib

Comment

• lmib
                                      • Jul 2004

Hi Folks,

Wunder gescheh'n, ich war dabei.

Wonder happens, I was there.

I cannot believe it, I found my update cable.

I was already thinking about, to by a new one, for 12€.
                                      I also checked my exact version again and it is 2.2.2.020905 and not 2.2.5.
                                      So I think I have a real old version and should think about an update.

When my son will sleep in the afternoon, I will give my RSX 1055 a shot. :B

Hope everything will work just fine.

Ciaó lmib
                                      lmib

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"