X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davisj
    • Dec 2003

Questions about RSP 1066, RSX 1065, and RSX 1055

I am a new member and could use some help with my new HT decision. I just got a projector and will buy the rest of my system by next week. I am ready to go with Rotel for the preamp, amdp, and probably the DVD/ CD. All in the family you know. I am considering the RSP 1066 with amp, RSX 1065, and RSX 1055 Here are my questions -

1) I think I will need "up-conversion" since I have only one set of component video cables installed in the ceiling to my projector and I plan to project DVD, HDTV, regular cable or satellite, Nintendo gamecube, a laptop, and who knows what else. Do all of these models offer this? any differences?

2) I am looking at a speaker compay (Von Schweikert) which has a really nice subwoofer for music. When I play music (2-channel) I want the sub to kick in based on a definable cross over. I know this is common in the HT world, but will I also be able to do it for CD's, SACD's, and all other music sources? are the models any different in this regard? If I set the crossover at 80 and the speakers can play bass down to 40, will they both play between 40 and 80?

3) When I read the receivers have slightly newer firmware/software than the pre/pro, what exactly does than mean? Is it made irrelevant through some kind of upgrade?

4) Are there features other than the published surround sound modes, watts per channel, etc. that I need to be aware that differentiate these models from each other which might not be so obvious? such as video bandwidth, dvi connection, etc.

5) Are all the systems the same in how they treat music for CDs, SACDs, DVD Audio disks? Music quality is more important to me than booming bass effects on movies.

6) Please say if any of the three systems will do a better job on any type of video signal for a particular reason?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

1) I think I will need "up-conversion" since I have only one set of component video cables installed in the ceiling to my projector and I plan to project DVD, HDTV, regular cable or satellite, Nintendo gamecube, a laptop, and who knows what else. Do all of these models offer this? any differences?

"None offer it. Only the 1098 has that option."

2) I am looking at a speaker compay (Von Schweikert) which has a really nice subwoofer for music. When I play music (2-channel) I want the sub to kick in based on a definable cross over. I know this is common in the HT world, but will I also be able to do it for CD's, SACD's, and all other music sources? are the models any different in this regard? If I set the crossover at 80 and the speakers can play bass down to 40, will they both play between 40 and 80?

"Nope.. It's a single point for both speakers and sub. All LFE (.1) information doesn't go through a crossover however. You would need an external device like the Outlaw audio ICBM"

3) When I read the receivers have slightly newer firmware/software than the pre/pro, what exactly does than mean? Is it made irrelevant through some kind of upgrade?

"Yes, besides really old models of the 1065, and the first revision of the 1066, everything can be made equal with a simple software upgrade."

4) Are there features other than the published surround sound modes, watts per channel, etc. that I need to be aware that differentiate these models from each other which might not be so obvious? such as video bandwidth, dvi connection, etc.

"The 1066 has no tuner, the 1065 has more power but is a slightly older design than the 1055. The 1055 has a cool redirect feature that allows you to power center rears off of the front amps, and add a more powerful stereo amp to then power the fronts. The 1055 sounds 95% as good as the 1066 and has a tuner, and is cheaper.."

5) Are all the systems the same in how they treat music for CDs, SACDs, DVD Audio disks? Music quality is more important to me than booming bass effects on movies.

"All the same in that respect. The 1098 has a whole lot more options on the multi inputs.."

6) Please say if any of the three systems will do a better job on any type of video signal for a particular reason?

"All the same video wise now. Stay away from early 1065's, and make sure to get a second generation 1066 or a first generation that has had the component video hardware upgrade done for higher bandwidth needed for HDTV"

"And quite frankly, considering the best connections possible, even with upconverting, the 1098 wouldn't be able to handle everything you want to throw at it video wise.."

Good luck..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Yeah, what he said.

However, if I may add if you can afford the RSP-1098, that's probably the most viable option considering what options you need.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• ejfiii
        • May 2003

Let me address the upcoversion issue.

You don't need to actually upconvert the signal. You just need a receiver that can handle switching the correct amount of component components you have. My 1065 has 2 inputs for component video. They can both handle HD and SD video. If you have more than two component components (I just like to say that), then you need to switch somewhere else. You can switch at the PJ, but you can't since you only have one component cable run to it. So if you really have that many sources, you need an external switcher. I don't know of any high quality recivers that switch that many component inputs.

I like either this one or this one But the first one is my first choice as it has discrete codes on a remote for selecting which input you want. This would work great with my programmable remote system. The second one switches automatically, and I am not sure how well that would work. If you want to spend more money, you could get this one although I have no idea why (other than its slick case) it is any better than the others.

Hope that helps some.

E. J.

My HT
        My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The guys have covered it rather well so far (thanks!). I totally understand the projector issue though as I only have a sinlge component run going to my projector as well so the video up conversion on my 1098 is extremely useful to me. The 1098's also got all the crossover flexibility you could ever need but it comes at a significantly higher cost then the 1066.

BTW those are very nice speakers:T

Comment

• davisj
            • Dec 2003

Thanks to everyone for the replies. This has been a huge help. If you are still available I have just a few clarifications -

"up-conversion" only has to do with non-component inputs like s-video being converted to component output and "switching" has to do with multiple component inputs going thru a single component output to the projector - right?

So if I can't afford the 1098, how about getting an external "up-converter? I see several out there just from doing a google on HDTV Up-Converter such as the ADS Tech product. This would solve both problems of too many inputs and cnversion at the same time. Pros? Cons? Of course I know Denon and others do this in the receiver, but I really like to Rotel sound for music AND I may never actually install all those other inputs.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

up-conversion" only has to do with non-component inputs like s-video being converted to component output and "switching" has to do with multiple component inputs going thru a single component output to the projector - right?
              Yes switching is simply routing all like cable types out of a common jack....so you might have 4 s-video devices plugged in and an s-video cable on the monitor out so that when you choose any of those devices the pre amp will send out an s-video signal from the s-video monitor out.

The external upconverters should work just as well and you're right the total cost could be lower then getting the 1098. (although the 1098 offers a lot of other nice options too that may or may not be useful to you)

Comment

• ejfiii
                • May 2003

My bad, now I see why you need upconversion. I totally didn't think that through. THe composite and s video sources. Duh.

Man, I just checked out the ADS Tech upconverter and have to wonder why for $500 we are all not using one? I wonder if it really works that well. I mean, isn't this doing the job of a $3k scaler by a company we have actually heard of? I wonder if it has a good return policy, then nothing to lose.

Anyway, good luck.

E. J.

My HT
                My HT

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Problem is, it probably doesn't work all that well. It isn't an upconvertor, it is a scaler.. Do you think a $500 scaler can do what a $3000 scaler does? A composite to S-video upconvertor is only like $20.. Someone surely has to have a S-video to Component for around $100.. And then all you need is a component with at least 4 inputs..

From my experience the cheapest scaler that's worth a damn is the Lumagen Vision. It's $1000, but only has one S, one composite, one component, and one HD-passthrough..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Eiffel
                    • Aug 2003

Assuming you can do the S-video, or composite switching on your receiver/processor, a cost effective way of doing the conversion to component is with a PC computer.

It might not be as good as a Terranex (price... well if you have to ask, don't bother ... but, switching aside, PCs will be very competitive with anything below $5k

A midrange PC (2GHz) with a basic capture card can be a good scaler, with the dScaler software (free). There are also some dedicated scaler cards which work very well (H3D), for a little bit more money.

Eiffel

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"