X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dre J
    • Aug 2002

Bass management current status

The functions of the RSP-1066 are still the same as stated in my Bass management report.

The only difference is the ability to turn the Sub level to off for the different modes (Stereo, multi, dts, dd, etc.) with 1.48 (2.24) and above.

The multi-channel input is still the same as reported. The Multi-channel input is pure analog with summing in the analog domain. This explains why the menu settings does nothing to the multi-channel inputs. The input can be modified and I'll speak about that in the future once I have made sure that I can share this information responsibly.

I've exchanged e-mails with mike (today even) about the bass management issues and what they are working on in Japan. I've spoken to Mike at length about my report and the unit's operation in the analog domain.

This is a genuine effort to understand the needs of Audiophiles as well as the typical Dealer/Customer base (no pun intended).

This level of support, at this point, has restored my faith in Rotel. The updates may not make it to us until the end of the month. but it's understood and being addressed.

Thanks for your eyes
    Dre

For a recap of the past..
    see the folowing links
    Rotel RSP-1066 Bass Management Report

and

Bass Management...what's a person to do?

My little corner of the world

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"
  • AlvaroD
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Dre J
    The multi-channel input is still the same as reported. The Multi-channel input is pure analog with summing in the analog domain. This explains why the menu settings does nothing to the multi-channel inputs. The input can be modified and I'll speak about that in the future once I have made sure that I can share this information responsibly.
    Hello Dre J,

I did the test once again, this time using AVIA subwoofer test tones just to be sure to get a lot of bass, my DVD player connected in analog stereo to the Main L/R multi-input : there's nothing coming out of the subs (I have 2 of those) and that's with 1066's volume set to max and each sub own amplifier is set to max as well !

Obviously, my unit doesnt do bass-doubling for multi-channel.

Do you think there could be a difference between the North american and European units or is it again a firmware thing (I'm using V1.49) ?

Comment

• Dre J
      • Aug 2002

It can't be a firmware update. The multi-channel input is not under the control of bass management.

I can't speak about units in France. I don't know if they are configured differently.

Are you sure your DVD player doesn't do bass management of the analog outputs for Dolby Digital by default?

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

Comment

• AlvaroD
        • Oct 2002

Are you sure your DVD player doesn't do bass management of the analog outputs for Dolby Digital by default?
        Yes, there's no bass-management made by the player itself. It's not even a DVD-Audio player, just a regular Toshiba SD-220e. All it does is downmix the DD 5.1 into plain stereo for analog outs. The bass are really there on the analog outs : when I turn on the main's amp, I can hear all the bass (My mains are big floorstanding speakers, they go as low as 30 Hz).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Dre thanks for commenting that your faith is restored in Rotel...now you know why I was getting a little upset with all the Rotel doesn't care attitude that was going around for awhile.

Comment

• Bruce
            • Aug 2000

Andrew,

My problem is that this issue was brought to Rotel's attention back in Sep of 2002.

They simply have no excuse for ignoring it for this long. I'm happy they finally gave in and are looking to correct it.

Bruce

Comment

• mazuly
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by AlvaroD
              Yes, there's no bass-management made by the player itself. It's not even a DVD-Audio player, just a regular Toshiba SD-220e. All it does is downmix the DD 5.1 into plain stereo for analog outs. The bass are really there on the analog outs : when I turn on the main's amp, I can hear all the bass (My mains are big floorstanding speakers, they go as low as 30 Hz).
              That might be different since you have not connected to the sub-in of the 1066. You need to have a DVD player with 5.1 analog outputs to have this issue. I may be wrong though.

Dre J, any comments?

Thanks,
              Maziar

Comment

• mazuly
                • Feb 2003

Please disregard my last post.

Further to studying bass management posts carefully I believe I was wrong with my statement.

Please accept my apologies for making a wrong statement and I urge new forum users to read the bass management posts carefully for better understanding of the issues.

Thanks,
                Maziar

Comment

• Kevin C Brown
                  • Jun 2002

I personally think that Dre J's bass management link should be required reading of anyone considering purchasing a 1066. I bought a 950, specifically because of this issue. But I'm keeping my eye on Rotel, because I do think the 1066 is a better looking component than the 950, and I like the idea of "stereo" (non-mono) rears for 7.1 modes...

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"