perhaps the bass doubling wasn´t a bad idea after all?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanser
    • May 2002

perhaps the bass doubling wasn´t a bad idea after all?

As most of you know, on the analogue multi inputs the RSP 1066 makes a copy of the bass of alle main channels and adds the sum to any bass that may already exist on the .1 channel. So, if you have large front speakers and no bass management, you get the low frequencies of the main channels doubled: once on the mains, and once on the sub. Now, by cutting a resistor, this can be stopped

But: On those SACDs and DVD Audios, that have a signal on the .1 (many don´t), there seems to be already a bass doubling in operation, since those disc have also a lot of bass on some or all other channels. I get the impression, that sound engineers just use the .1 channel to put some additional bass there, for those people who do not have large main speakers and no external bass managment for hi-rez input. But those, who have large front speakers, will now have a double bass, if they also use their sub. After some testing, I now never use the sub on hi-rez multichannel recordings, regardless if there is a .1 channel or not. This provides me with a strong, lean bass, while using a sub made the bass sometimes bloated, if a .1 track was on the recording.

So my recommendation:

if you have large front/main speakers, switch off your sub for SACD/DVDaudio multichannel.

if you have small speakers, use your sub and be happy for the bass doubling in the Rotel 1066, since it will provide you with bass even on recording that do not have a .1 track.
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

On well produced DVD-A's and SACD's, there should not be the same bass on the speakers as on the .1 channel. Just like it should not be in normal DVD's. So turning off the subwoofer will remove one channel that the makes added onto the music on purpose.

You should however setup the bassmanagement on your player correctly.

Comment

• hanser
      • May 2002

Do you know a SACD or DVDAudio that has different bass on the .1 for sure? I don´t. In my 20 plus hirez discs there is none where bass is missing if you switch off the sub.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"