X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claude D D
    • Jan 2003

DTS 96/24 & RSP-1066 ?

Hey guys,does anyone know if the RSP-1066 supports DTS 96/24 and if not would a software upgrade be possible.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It currently doesn't support it and i'm not sure a software upgrade could fix it either but the bigger question is even if it did what software would you play on it?

Comment

• Claude D D
      • Jan 2003

The new Queen Greatest Hits DVD has DTS 96/24 audio on it.When you play it back it read DTS ES DISCRETE .I don't think my DVPS7700 can output the DTS 96/24 signal but I have a DVPNS500 that can,but I won't bother if the 1066 can't read the signal.

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "sound formats" are on the specific DSP chips and therefore not something that one can "load up" via software upgrades. So if DTS or DD comes out with new formats it would require new hardware/DSP chips.

I frankly think we may have seen a plateau for a good while now...if 10.1 or whatever happens...I don't think I'll be riding that boat cause I'd have to build another room! LOL....

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• Rock Dog
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by efarstad
          Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "sound formats" are on the specific DSP chips and therefore not something that one can "load up" via software upgrades. So if DTS or DD comes out with new formats it would require new hardware/DSP chips.

I frankly think we may have seen a plateau for a good while now...if 10.1 or whatever happens...I don't think I'll be riding that boat cause I'd have to build another room! LOL....

E
          That's what I thought as well E. Doesn't the Cirrus chipset have to support it? Although I'm not sure it doesn't. I thought I read something on ROTEL's site, on why they don't currently offer 24/96.

Although the chipset issue (if true) may be coming to and end. Becasue ROTEL states that the 1098 will handle ANY new format to come down the pike.

I've got the Queen Video Hits 1 DVD, and if you're a fan, it's a must have. Just to watch the 30 minute or so piece, where Brian May pulls out the original 1/2" master of Bohemian Rhapsody, and goes through it piece by piece. Genius' absolute genius'.

My Kenwwod Soverign lights up it's 24/96 light when the disk is playing, but I switch the ROTEL to MULTI for the best performance.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

From the ROTEL FAQ. :idea:

24BIT/96KHZ FORMAT:
            Contrary to popular belief, this is not DVD Audio but DVD Video. As remarked in the above section, true DVD Audio will require new players and will most likely be multichannel. There are only about a dozen or so 24/96 titles, available almost exclusively via mail order, and almost all DVD players' digital outs downconvert the signal to 48kHz. In a few instances, 24/96 can actually degrade the sound of some standard CDs. It is possible Rotel might offer this feature in future equipment, but understand our goal is not to be the first on the block with the latest trendy feature, or to be on the cutting edge of new, untested technology, which primarily appeals to early adopters (Can you say "Beta"?). We prefer to refine existing technology. When the time arrives when we feel we can accomplish both, we will offer it, just as we have done with HDCD, and more recently, DTS. HomeTheatre, like computers, seems to be linked to New England weather...if you wait a minute, it changes on you. In a short period of time we have come from Dolby Surround, to Pro Logic, to Dolby Digital, DTS, and now Dolby Digital Surround EX looms on the horizon (not to mention SACD and DVD Audio)! When these emerging formats begin to prove themselves, and a variety of software becomes available to consumers, Rotel will be there.

Not sure when this was written. :? It must have been some time ago, based on the quote about title availability, and the fact that SACD, and DVD-Audio is mentioned in a future tense.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• wng
              • Dec 2002

The RSP-1098 has DTS 24/96 capability. I remember seeing on its faceplate the DTS logo with "96/24" next to it, in the photo posted here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Asuming our info on the 1098 using the Cirrus Logic 49400 chip is correct then it looks like it will have the power to decode 96.24

Cirrus Logic 49400

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                  Asuming our info on the 1098 using the Cirrus Logic 49400 chip is correct then it looks like it will have the power to decode 96.24
                  Yes, the RSP-1098 even has the DTS96/24 logo on the front and it's also mentioned in the prelim-sheet.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"