X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whitman
    • Jan 2003

New Cables make me Happy!

Well I broke down and made new cables. I was going to buy CatCables but the exchange was the back breaker. Now I have a nice pair of Belden 89259/Neutrik for audio and Belden 1695/Canare for Component and Digital audio[whenever I get my 1055]. It's going to be fun breaking them in!

Scope!

-- Life is a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes! --
    -- Life is a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes! --
  • SayersWeb
    • Dec 2002

Congrats! Sounds like you used the right components to make them!

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page
    Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Whitman
      • Jan 2003

Thanks, I like the feeling of making my own gear. The highs and bass already sound much better, we'll see how a week of break-in sounds.

Scope!

Comment

• Madd
        • Jan 2003

Well, at least the restaurant has a smoking section.
        The peeing section is in the whole pool! :roll:

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• Whitman
          • Jan 2003

There isn't a smoking section anymore in my city. City bylaw prevents smoking in any indoor location, and provincial law forbids smoking within 10-15ft of any public building. I love it!!!

Scope!

Comment

• jpossum
            • Jan 2003

I just ordered my new Rotel system with Transparent cables. How long do you think it takes to "break them in?" I don't have a clue how to differentitate among cables so I took the store's recommendation. Hope I didn't get hooped

Comment

• Whitman
              • Jan 2003

I'm no expert, you sould talk to Lex[Doug]. He runs CatCables. Basically I went out and found DIY recipes for cables on the web, Jon Risch designs that are popular with easy to find parts. How much did you pay for you cables and what did you buy?

Scope!

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

That all depends what you paid Mr. Possum as to whether you got hosed. Perhaps you can click the bannerl below to CAT and evaluate your purchase against what I sell.

As to break in, proper conditioning involves an external device called a cable cooker. But general system break in is about 2 weeks of play.

Congrats on building your cables Scope.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Madd
                  • Jan 2003

Whitman,
                  From what I see on the news and all, those smoking bans are killing peoples bussiness "BIG TIME". :cry:
                  Hope the cables work out well for you.

Comment

• Whitman
                    • Jan 2003

Let's drop the smoking debate, I don't want to offend the smokers in the forum.

Scope!

Comment

• sndtowne
                      • Jan 2003

I agree.

Bruce
                      Bruce

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

guys lets try and keep this on the topic. I haven't had to lock a thread yet and I'd rather not make this the first.

Comment

• pglover19
                          • Jan 2003

Whitman,

Could you please email at pglover@biznet.net. I have some questions about making cables.

Thanks,
                          Perry

Comment

• Howie
                            • Feb 2003

Just broke down and ordered SilverCats for all 7 channels. I have been using RatShack cables for interconnects - they sounded fine to me, but I've got the fever, so here goes.

Howie
                            Howie

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Ahh, so that was you Howie! Cool. 8) Thanks a lot. I'll get those in production soon.

Perry, if you have a question, I'll be glad to try and answer it. I'll defer to the others on the parts, as retail parts is not my thing. But as far as instructions on making them, I will help as I have time.

You might also check a sister site of HTG, that not many know about likely:

Cable Synergy I wrote what you see there, just giving a little something back.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                              Doug

Comment

• pglover19
                                • Jan 2003

Whitman,

I losted your emails that you sent me regarding sites on the web for making cables. My computer hard drive crashed over the weekend. Could you please re-send the emails to me at pglover@biznet.net

Thanks,
                                Perry

Comment

• wng
                                  • Dec 2002

Lex, if you ever design a new subwoofer cable, how 'bout calling it ThunderCats? Sorry, I just had to! :LOL: Hope you have a sense of humor.

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Actually, I did have a Thundercat Digital cable, but I recently obsoleted it, due to slow sales, and production difficulties with the model. Thundercat name may be back yet, time will tell.

But I DO get it, and good one! :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"