X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whitman
    • Jan 2003

Cable question...

Hey,
    I know this post should go in another part of the forum but I want opinions on how they sound on Rotel gear. I currently have shitty interconnects on everything except the connections between my cd player and my preamp[Linn Cables]. I'm looking to get a set of component for my dvd player and audio for my upcoming rsx-1065 or rsp-1066/rmb-1075 combo. What type of connectors are used on Catcables, they seem to be Cardas. Money is an issue especially with the new hardware purchase being imminent. Thanks for any help, I know I'm asking a lot of questions.

Scope!

-- Life is a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes! --
    -- Life is a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes! --
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Well obviously, cables are a topic of much debate. Regardless, I notice a very significant difference between the mass market cables such as AR and Monsters and the audio interconnects of companies such as Rhino and Signal. The main differences I've observed include: an improved sound stage, a more natural presentation of tonal characteristics, better definition of sound, and more transparency. For this reason, I've just ordered three of Lex's cables. I have no doubt that they'll make me happier with my sound system than I've been before and they'll be replacing my last audio interconnects that are mass marketed. Now, I'll have all Quantum, Rhino, and Signal. I already love my Rhino and Signals and I have this sneaky feeling that Lex's might be the best of all. You also have to remember that the build quality of these cables is exceptional. They really aren't priced that much higher than those such as Monster, but you can expect them to last longer. Really, I see it as a win/win situation in the long run.

By the way, I'm easily resisting any urge to buy boutique type cables. What I want is a well constructed cable, using quality materials, for a reasonable price. Thus far, I've been more than happy.

One final note regards the human element. Lex really helped me out as far as what interconnects would best compliment my components and room. He steered me toward cables that were far less expensive than others in his line. You won't get that personal attention if you just walk into Circuit City or Best Buys. Besides, those custom made cables are pretty nice looking, so there's that old pride of ownership thing going on.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Claude D D
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Danbry39
      I notice a very significant difference between the mass market cables such as AR and Monsters and the audio interconnects of companies such as Rhino and Signal

Monster and AR do make "some types" of cables that are quite good performers and at a very reasonable price.With any cable puchase a knowlegable dealer can be helpful, and certain brands and type of cable can fine tune your system and have dramatic results.

Comment

• Whitman
        • Jan 2003

Thanks for the opinion. I'm going to email Lex and pick his brain. I was hoping he'd show up on the forum sometime tonight to answer some questions/offer an opinion.

Scope!

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Always listening, I'm here.

Thanks Danbry!

Well, two Club Rotel members have cables that have shipped, and should be received Wed or Thurs.

Hey, I know, we could all track them for them!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Now to try and address some of your questions.

I use a small amount of Cardas connectors, specifically, on the ConcertCats. Silvercats, use a non-branded connector, for Club Rotel members, and maybe soon the masses, you'd get rhodium coated connectors on your Silvercats. It's the same connector as pictured on the silvercats now, except in rhodium coated.

They are nice locking barrels, and have sold well over the last 2 years. (not the rhodium, those just became available recently.)

My component cables are among the best out there, using silver coated coax with a foam dielectric, and dual shielding. My dual coax per strand design is different than many in the industry. Many have said there's better resolution and detail with the Tigress than anything else they've used.

All Silvercats (all silver cables) are cooked on the AudioDharma Cable Cooker for Club Rotel members to break them in for you.

Between 1 of 3 cable companies, I have a lot of options for folks. Most of the video is on CAT though. For audio, quantum and Zeus add additional options.

Let me know any other questions you have, here or by email.

Thanks,
            Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
            Doug

Comment

• Rock Dog
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Lex
              Well, two Club Rotel members have cables that have shipped, and should be received Wed or Thurs.
              Lex
              8) :P :T :-y ;lx :banana: arty: :drool: :yesnod:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Please Thomas, try to contain your excitement. :LOL: JK.

These are really fast cables. I'd say they are on a truck doing 70 right now. lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                Doug

Comment

• WallaceBW
                  • Jan 2003

Thanks for the update Lex... Can't wait

Brian

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Sure Brian!

Lex
                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"