X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonnyz1245
    • Jan 2003

RSX upgrade to 1066/1075 ?'s

Hi All,

I was bitten by the bug recently and found your forum to be a great source of info and fun...thanks

I just got the RSX 1055 and it is powering a set of Paradigm Studio 20's/ Studio CC and minis in the rear.

I am quite please so far. I am making my way to Canada to get some Studio 40's this week and moving the 20's to the rear.

my dealer offered me a full credit towards the upgrade, and he thinks it would be wise.

So my question is this....

What differences will I "hear" in doing this. I want to do this right and the $ is not the issue. If the xtra 1200 is well earned by this upgrade.

My understanding is that the 1066 and 1055 are identical on paper except for less distortion. Everything else seems to be the same

Could I please get your suggestion/comments....Ideas on this move ?

Thanks again
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

well adding a power amp is never a bad idea. I'm not sure I'd pay extra though to swap the 1055 for the 1066 esp since if you get the 1066 and a 5 channel amp you'll need to buy another amp to power the rears...where as keeping the 1055 would allow you to use its internal amps to power the rears and let the 5 channel amp power the rest.

Comment

• JohnSC
      • Jun 2002

I agree with Andrew on this one. I have a 1066/1075/991 combo and would recommend perhaps adding a power amp down the track to perhaps power the fronts. In hindsight given the 1055 is identical to the 1066 for features and has the on board power, I probably would have opted for the 1055/991 combo but the 1055 had not been released at the time.

Comment

• sndtowne
        • Jan 2003

Jonnyz,

The RSP-1066 has slightly less distortion than the RSX-1055 (0.05 vs. 0.09) and 2 to 3 dB better signal to noise ratio because of the removal of the power amp and tuner. The distortion and signal to noise ratio on the RSX-1055 are both below audibility so neither of these improvements (IMHO) makes an audible difference.

Other than this - the two units are the same. You are correct in your observation, there is no processing difference, and no feature difference (except for the removal of the tuner and power amp).

Another option would be to keep the RSX-1055 (routing its internal amps to do 7.1) and add an RB-1070 (130 WPC) to drive the main front channels.

Rotel and the Paradigm Reference series speakers are a very good match.

By "minis" I assume you are speaking of Paradigm Mini Monitors. They are excellent speakers. The main difference between the Reference 20's and 40's is the additional 6.5" mid/bass driver in the 40's. This will give you an extra 3dB in power handling and output (over the 20's). Since the 20's and 40's use the same tweeter and woofer, I don't know if you will actually "hear" a huge difference, but it is a good idea to have all of the speakers matched - from the same series (for example: the Reference series use Alumnium tweeters - the Monitor series use Titanium, and although the Mini Monitors have an excellent woofer, the Reference woofer is better). I would say the upgrade would be worthwhile.

Bruce
        Bruce

Comment

• Rock Dog
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jonnyz1245
          I am making my way to Canada to get some Studio 40's this week and moving the 20's to the rear.
          JohnnyZ, How lucky are we to be within driving distance of Canada?
          Myself, I'm about 40 minutes from Windsor, there is a great high-end store there where I bought my Mirages.

For those who don't know. thanks to NAFTA, one does not pay duty on Canadian made products. Like Paradigm, Mirage, Energy and so on. There's the benefit of the currency exchange (although the Canadian price takes this into consideration to some extent.) Then there is the ability to get the sales taxes back. I saved hundreds of dollars on my stuff. :T

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"