One of the biggest improvements with my new ROTEL gear! SO FAR.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock Dog
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2003

One of the biggest improvements with my new ROTEL gear! SO FAR.

My Mirage BPS-400 sub, is one helluva box. From day one I was impressed with it's performance for both music and HT. And it is a killer, it'll knock your fillings loose if need be. :T

When it was hooked up to the Yamaha RX-V2095, it performed very well (or so I thought.) But I could never turn its internal volume past 3 or so, becasue it would just over power my room (24' X 17'.) Especially with Hard Rock and Heavy Metal music ;b>'>, or the LFE tracks on action films like the Die Hards, or Lethal Weapons. Even Monsters Inc. would tend to be a bit booming. It seemed as though the sub would "rumble" a bit, during heavy low end passages. Explosions, trucks, Sulley's footsteps. :LOL: It sounded great, but I had to tweak the hell out of it to get it to settle down a bit. The one complaint I had was that the sub tended to draw out some of these signals. Just a bit, but still, it seemed to have a bit of a rumble, it wasn't as precise as I had hoped.

Well, ever since I hooked it into the RSP-1066. This thing has taken on a whole new persona. Everything is so defined, and tight. When a LFE signal is supposed to stop. IT STOPS. I cannot believe how much more refined and accurate everything is. I now have this thing turned up to 5 or 6. And it becomes a seemless part of the speaker system, instead of an accent. It does not over power the room anymore, simply because it's "behaving." If that makes any sense. :?

Anyway... As each day goes by, I am loving my 1066/1095 purchase decision more and more. My Mirages are a whole new speaker system. I always loved them, and was always impressed with their performance. But DA-YUM!! :amen: Thanks ROTEL! ;x(

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!
  • sndtowne
    • Jan 2003

>

Thomas,

If you are turning the volume control on almost any receiver to "past 3 O'clock" you are running the unit way beyond its clean power output capability and into clipping.

Most receivers and processors will reach full rated power with the volume control positioned between about 11 and 1 O'clock. Rotel is an excepton since their volume controls rotate continuously and does not have stops.

Bruce
    Bruce

Comment

• Rock Dog
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2003

Bruce,

To clarify, I was referring to the volume control on the powered sub itself. Numerical value 3, About 9 o'clock. The 5-6 setting is 12-1 o'clock. The pot on the sub is not a full-turn. It basically goes from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

thomas have you got an SPL meter?

Comment

• Rock Dog
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2003

Yup! And the Avia disc. I have to go through everything again. So far I've just been tweaking by ear.

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thomas hang around us much longer and we'll get you running sine waves though that sub and plotting its freq response to see if you need a BFD or not Resistance is futile

Comment

• sndtowne
              • Jan 2003

>

I see, I thought you were referring to the Yamaha receiver - and I was thinking - Boy !!! that must have been loud.

Bruce
              Bruce

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                Thomas hang around us much longer and we'll get you running sine waves though that sub and plotting its freq response to see if you need a BFD or not Resistance is futile
                I'm not that far from that now... :LOL: As a matter of fact, I work with a guy who is absolutely nutty about stuff like that. He wants me to bring the 1095 into work so he can run some waves through it, and plot the graphs to see if it REALLY is better.

He also wants to run power supply tests. This guy has a set of Klipsch Horns at home, being driven by something like a 2 channel 35 watt amp.

Lex, he wants to monkey with the cables as well. :LOL:

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Tell him hands off your babies, to buy his own pretties. :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Rock Dog
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Lex
                    Tell him hands off your babies, to buy his own pretties. :LOL:

Lex
                    :yesnod: Will Do!

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• sndtowne
                      • Jan 2003

>

The efficiency rating of the K-Horns is 104db. That's about 13 or 14db higher than the average speaker. A 35 WPC amp will drive them louder than an RMB-1095 will drive the average speakers most of use use. 8)

Bruce
                      Bruce

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"