Modern "Mastering" - We need to stop them!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Yeah , I kind of went off on a rant. Apologies all around. My gripe was the whole "remaster" thing. The master is the master-period. It refers to the original studio recording of the performance in question. IMO , you can get 1000 experts and the entire band/orchestra together and still not "remaster". How do you get do-overs ? The master tape (or digital recording) was the best representation you'll get of that performance. You can play with equipment and 'bits' all you want , you won't get any more info from the studio master than it contains. I went off on a tangent relative to retrieving that info (vinyl vs. CD). You can change tone , balance , seperation , etc. , but you can't change that moment in time when the band said-"Yes!That's what I wanted."

P.S. Yes,I'll be keeping my CD player.
    Last edited by Alaric; 20 May 2007, 00:37 Sunday. Reason: PS
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

Maybe "remaster" was the wrong term. The process I was referring to is the process of going from master tape, to stamping master. What is that process called?

I'd consider it part of the "mastering" process. So, if you take the same master analog tape, and do the Analog to Digital conversion differently, have you "remastered" the album? (or likewise, if you make a different LP stamping master, has it been remastered?)

Lets take a specific example. The Rolling Stones album Beggars Banquet.
      The original Decca LP release is good, very good. The MFSL 1/2 speed mastered LP
      is IMO better. The early London or ABKCO CD's were OK (not as good as the LP). The 2002 ABKCO remaster is much better (comparable to the LP). Here is an example of both an LP and CD of a artists work where the "remaster" is arguably better than the original release. (I do not know if the same "master" tape was used to create all these different releases -
      if so both MSFL and ABKCO managed to make a better product from an older, more time degraded, "master" tape.)

We know that the record companies could generate better sounding CD's than they did in the 80's. The AtoD conversion available today is much better than what was available then. Unfortunately they more often than not mess up the process,
      seemingly on purpose, and generate an over compressed mess. This is what
      bothers people. The "remastered" digital master should be better than the earlier
      digital master (as long as the master analog tape has not degraded) but often it is
      not (or at least it is not in the opinion of people with decent reproduction equipment
      who can listen in a quiet environment). It is a troubling trend to people who
      consider dynamic range as part of the artistic expression.

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

One more thought. For most of these older releases there may not be "master" tape anymore. What we get might depend on which version of the "master" tape is used.
        Did they start with the final master the artists signed off on? Did they start from the LP
        equalized version? Are they using a copy of a copy of a copy of the "master"?

So much of this personal preference. What you prefer I may not, and visa versa. And what we prefer may not be the same as what somebody else prefers. There is no right answer.

For old vinyl it is hard to beat a good condition example that was early in the
        pressing run, on the original label. But that is not what you usually find.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
          One more thought. For most of these older releases there may not be "master" tape anymore. What we get might depend on which version of the "master" tape is used.
          Did they start with the final master the artists signed off on? Did they start from the LP
          equalized version? Are they using a copy of a copy of a copy of the "master"?

So much of this personal preference. What you prefer I may not, and visa versa. And what we prefer may not be the same as what somebody else prefers. There is no right answer.

For old vinyl it is hard to beat a good condition example that was early in the
          pressing run, on the original label. But that is not what you usually find.

Bingo.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dave999
            Is XRCD basically the same as HDCD, or will that provide better dynamics?
            Technically, no, but not by far. In theory, you should be able to do better with a HDCD on a HDCD player. The XRCD doesn't require special processing in the CD player. I loved the sound of HDCD's on my previous CDP (but now I have one that does SACD!)

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
              Can I ask, there is an element of interpolation in the process, even if not as I described? I quote " Unlike in downsampling which uses a low-pass filter as an anti-aliasing filter, upsampling uses an interpolation filter, which also is a low-pass filter."

From what you are saying I am guessing that it would still have no impact on the "hot" issue
              No, compression ("hot") is processing done on purpose and can't be undone because it is non-linear processing. It has nothing to do with interpolation. Compression is a non-linear gain, and upsampling has to do with linear conversion between sample rates.

And yes, both downsampling and upsampling need the same kind of low pass filter. For example, 48k to 96k or 96k to 48k conversions both require a half-band low-pass filter.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"