X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Paquette
    • Jan 2003

Do I understand this correctly?

I'm still a bit confused by the "double bass issue" I've read about here and at other forums. If I run my speakers set as small, does the bass management of the 1066 work correctly? Through a digital input, say from a DVD player, while listening to an ordinary CD is there a problem with the bass management? Thanks.

-Mark
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

set to small everything works as it should for all inputs other then the multichannel in's

Comment

• Ron Reda
      • Jan 2003

I didn't want to admit, but having some trouble with this also!

I like to listen to CDs in 2-channel (direct) running my fronts as large with no sub...will I experience double bass?

Comment

• simonb68
        • Jan 2003

Ron, no you won't without a sub since there's no other source of bass, the problem occurs with a sub because the signal below the crossover is sent to both sub and 'large' speakers, and only with multichannel inputs (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Comment

• nicodaemos
          • Jan 2003

I thought the 1066 had advanced bass management whereby you could control the crossover frequency of the sub. Are you guys saying that it doesn't work right?

Very relevant for me right now as I'm looking to buy a pre-pro and am trying to decide between the rsp1066 and rsx1055.

Comment

• Ron Reda
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by simonb68
            ...and only with multichannel inputs (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
            So, if I don't use the multichannel inputs, then I'm OK? Also, I use my sub (and run the front speakers as "large") when watching DVDs, so will that cause a problem? (I'm really not dense...I'm just not getting it!) Heck, I may be getting double-bass right now with my Denon 3802 and not know it!

Comment

• wng
              • Dec 2002

Ron, yes. No problem with large fronts and sub on for DVDs either. When listening to CDs, you would go into Speaker setup and set the sub to "NO".

Comment

• stereo.frog
                • Jan 2003

So, you guys are saying that the ONLY time a person will run into the double bass problem is when:

You have speakers set to large AND you use the analog inputs.

Is this correct? Also, if that is true, you can "fix" it by setting the sub to off? One more thing, can you then have independant sub settings for each source?

Thanks.

Comment

• jaakan
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by simonb68
                  Ron, no you won't without a sub since there's no other source of bass, the problem occurs with a sub because the signal below the crossover is sent to both sub and 'large' speakers, and only with multichannel inputs (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
                  Double bass is the same as "Both" option on the LFE setup menu on my Yamaha DSP-A1, LFE signal to SW, Main, or BOTH. Which sends the LFE ( Digital or Analog ) to the SW and Mixes the LFE in to the Mains ( Left and Right fronts) with all channels large

Just set crossover level on your sub to where your Speakers naturally roll off at.

Comment

• JKohn
                    • Jun 2002

Also, I use my sub (and run the front speakers as "large") when watching DVDs, so will that cause a problem?
                    Actually, there's a problem here. The Sub=Yes setting on the 1066 acts the same as the Sub=Max setting, sending the bass from the large speakers to the sub, even though it's still going to the large speakers. This is clearly a bug in the firmware, otherwise there's no reason to have separate settings. Hopefully Rotel will fix this, though I've not heard anything definite. Also, I'm pretty sure the bass doubling applies to both the multi-channel inputs and the 2-channel analog inputs in stereo passthrough mode.

I think the only thing you can safely say is that, IF all your speakers are set to small and IF you don't use the multi-channel inputs, and IF you don't use the analog 2-channel inputs, you won't get any bass doubling.

Jeff Kohn
                    Jeff Kohn
                    http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"