X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmcghee
    • Jun 2017

240v to 120v conversion

Hello. This is my first post since moving back to the U.S. I have a RSP 1570 and RMB 1575 that I bought in Europe and had them converted from 240v to 120v when I moved back stateside by B&W Group. Before conversion, my normal listening volume was around 45, after the conversion I have to turn it up around 60 to get the same listening pleasure. I talked to B&W and they said it check out on the bench but I know for a fact that it's not the same. any thoughts.:cry:
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Did you move the entire house and furniture from Europe too?

Speaker placement, room layout, room treatment, where you sit, etc can all effect your perceived volume.

I can't rule out efficiency changes from running at a different voltage or possible amp adjustments to bring it back to spec since it was on the bench, but if it still sounds good I wouldn't be concerned.

Kevin D.

Comment

• cmcghee
      • Jun 2017

yep.. moved the entire house and the dogs... the equipment was in a space that was open all the way to the second floor with no walls, it now sits in a dedicated room above the garage and still sounds good but I just have to turn the volume up considerably to get the same sonic experience that I had at 240v. thanks Kevin.....

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

could it be that the new environment is simply more energy absorptive ?
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• cmcghee
          • Jun 2017

yes it could be but from 45db to 60db?? the house in Europe was built like a fortress., no prefab like here in the U.S. all concrete floors solid wood doors. note sure if listening at those levels (60-65) is a strain on the amp or not. the speakers should be o.k. B&W 805D.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

The volume level on Rotel is not a db scale and not linear from what I've seen. My normal listening is 65, and 75 is really loud.

Kevin D.

Comment

• cmac
              • Dec 2005

60 - 64 is where it sounds good so i guess it's o.k. thanks for the insight.

---cmcghee

Comment

• mglimabr
                • Sep 2010

Here too. Small room. Sonus Faber Olympica II (Marantz MM7055) and Rotel RSp-1572. (i already had 1570) The pleasant volume is around 60-70 max! Now iam listening a cd at 56.
                My unit is 220v and here in my city is 120v, and i am using a transformer voltage.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"