X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charl
    • Apr 2004

Converting 120V to 240V ?

Does anyone know how I can get a 110-120V 60Hz power amp to work on 220-240V 50Hz ?
    I can purchase a NAD S250 (5x125W) power amp at a ridiculous price, but the problem is that it is a US version and I need to get it to work on our local power supply.
    The local NAD importer is not able to help, and I see his logic because he would rather sell me one of his units (at 3x the price).
    Only other solution I've heard is to have a 'step-down' transformer custom built, but I'm not sure if this will compromise the performance or sound quality.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guyzos,
    Charl

PS Not sure this is the correct forum, please move this post if needs be.
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Charl

Anything is possible - but you would need a 2KVA transformer. I have one for my fridge (imported from TEXAS!!!!) and it is big and ugly, so I would not recommend it.
    Try to send a mail to NAD, explain that you have been living in the US (if you want to do that) and ask for their help. I am sure the unit can be rebuild. The question is only if they trafo's inside have a primary input for 220/240 - If that is the case it should be easy and not very expensive - if not, I am afraid it will be expensive..

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I'm an American that lived overseas in Germany for 4 years. Our solution for making ANY of our electronic items work that weren't dual voltage was to use a transformer like others have said above. I think if you use a 1600W for this unit and any others that may be in your home theater you'll be fine. The box would be something in the range of a 9"-12" cube.

Like you said, I'm not sure what this would do for clean power affecting sound quality. And transformers only convert voltage, not frequency (Hz) If this is a long-term situation, I think the right answer is to have the unit itself modified to run 240V 50 Hz.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Charl
        • Apr 2004

Thanks aarsoe and Chris - helpful as always.
        aarsoe I bet that's one mean mutha Texan living in your kitchen :W

The local NAD agent says it's the Hz conversion that will be a problem, so he thinks the step down transformer won't work.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to get hold of a local electronic engineer who builds amps, so I can get his opinion also.

Funny thing is, I also have another NAD power amp (C272) and this unit actually has a switch to select the correct power supply.

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Charl

I would not worry about the 50 vs 60 Hz - not on an amplifier. There should be nothing inside depending on the freq. (now cd and tuner is a different story..)

I would still recommend shooting of a mail to NAD and ask if the transformers inside the amp, have two primary connections - chances for them having it are pretty good, as the product is European..

Chris, 4 years in Germany.. And that avatar.. I am taking a wild guess, but where you a airforce by any chance..

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"