130V to 230V, US to Europe. Rotel gear in general.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaa
    • Jan 2005

130V to 230V, US to Europe. Rotel gear in general.

I've read some of the manuals for some of the Rotel equipent I might be intrested in. And I've noticed this.

The manuals for the power amplifier units (RB and RMB) states:

"Note: Should you move your RB-1080
    amplifier to another country, it is possible
    to reconfigure your amplifier for use on a
    different line voltage. Do not attempt to
    perform this conversion yourself. Opening
    the enclosure of the RB-1080 exposes you
    to dangerous voltages. Consult a qualified
    service person or the Rotel factory service
    department for information."

Witch I think suggests that the conversion from 130V to 230V should not cost to much, and is perfectly doable.

But in the manuals of the Pre Amplifiers it says:
    "Your RSP-1098 is configured at the factory for
    the proper AC line voltage in the country where
    you purchased it (USA: 115 volts/60Hz AC
    or CE: 230 volts /50 Hz AC ). The AC line
    configuration is noted on a decal on the back
    of your unit."

This makes me believe that this unit must have a brand new power supply, if I were to use it in Europe.

And to make the confusion complete, the RDV units manuals says this:
    "Your RDV-1060 will automatically configure
    itself for the proper AC line voltage ranging
    from 110 volts to 240 volts at 50/60Hz. No
    setting is required to match the unit to your
    local voltage."

So for the RDV unit we'd only have to change the power cord.

So do the Rotel gurus have any thoughts on this?

I looked this up because here in Norway I'd have to pay $ 4 800,- USD for a RSP-1098, and the MRSP in the US is about $ 2 999,-.
    And even though I have to pay 25% VAT when the unit comes to Norway I'd still save about $ 1 000 on a new RSP-1098 if I got the voltage and frequency sorted.

There have to me more europeeans than me that want to take advantage of the favourable(sp) exchange rate between our currencies and the USD.
    Blaa

B&W DM605, DM601, LCR6 and ASW2500.
  • scottv50
    • Jan 2005

Yes it is possible to have Rotel equipment changed from 110V. I have just moved back home to Australia from living in San Francisco and bought with me a RB-985 MkII and a RSP-976 which I had purchased a few years ago in the US.

I sent both items into Rotel in Massachusetts and for USD$50 each component (including shipping back to me) they changed the power supplies for use in Australia for me.

It was quite simple and didn't take very long.

I also asked Rotel, that whilst I was in the US if I wanted to purchase any items to bring back with me to Australia, could I just purchase them with the correct power supplies and they told me that any Rotel dealer in the US can order non-US voltage equipment to sell. Apparently you just need to ask them to do it.

Comment

• Frustrated
      • Jan 2005

Conversion

Originally posted by Blaa
      I've read some of the manuals for some of the Rotel equipent I might be intrested in. And I've noticed this.

The manuals for the power amplifier units (RB and RMB) states:

"Note: Should you move your RB-1080
      amplifier to another country, it is possible
      to reconfigure your amplifier for use on a
      different line voltage. Do not attempt to
      perform this conversion yourself. Opening
      the enclosure of the RB-1080 exposes you
      to dangerous voltages. Consult a qualified
      service person or the Rotel factory service
      department for information."

Witch I think suggests that the conversion from 130V to 230V should not cost to much, and is perfectly doable.

But in the manuals of the Pre Amplifiers it says:
      "Your RSP-1098 is configured at the factory for
      the proper AC line voltage in the country where
      you purchased it (USA: 115 volts/60Hz AC
      or CE: 230 volts /50 Hz AC ). The AC line
      configuration is noted on a decal on the back
      of your unit."

This makes me believe that this unit must have a brand new power supply, if I were to use it in Europe.

And to make the confusion complete, the RDV units manuals says this:
      "Your RDV-1060 will automatically configure
      itself for the proper AC line voltage ranging
      from 110 volts to 240 volts at 50/60Hz. No
      setting is required to match the unit to your
      local voltage."

So for the RDV unit we'd only have to change the power cord.

So do the Rotel gurus have any thoughts on this?

I looked this up because here in Norway I'd have to pay $ 4 800,- USD for a RSP-1098, and the MRSP in the US is about $ 2 999,-.
      And even though I have to pay 25% VAT when the unit comes to Norway I'd still save about $ 1 000 on a new RSP-1098 if I got the voltage and frequency sorted.

There have to me more europeeans than me that want to take advantage of the favourable(sp) exchange rate between our currencies and the USD.
      Converting from 120 to 230 or 240 is very easy. If a Rotel amp is built like the ones I worked on at Classe. These amps are manifactured for both North-America and Europe. They contain dual transformers for the sole of shipping worl-wide. All you need to do is buy a different power cord and arranging a few jumpers inside the unit (When you open the unit the jumper is next to a red LED with the coresponding voltage 100v,120v,230v,240v). The second jumpers I'd have to see. My help is free of charge :T

Comment

• nyny
        • Jul 2004

Since we are on the topic, I have a similar question. Will U.S. Rotel gears work under 110v? I am planning to move to Taiwan in a few months and don't know if my gears will work there. Thanks the assistance.
        Tony

Comment

• Frustrated
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by nyny
          Since we are on the topic, I have a similar question. Will U.S. Rotel gears work under 110v? I am planning to move to Taiwan in a few months and don't know if my gears will work there. Thanks the assistance.
          Of course it will. However, you do need a minimu of 100V AC. It's just a matter of rearanging a few jumpers. That's it :T

Comment

• nyny
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Frustrated
            Of course it will. However, you do need a minimu of 100V AC. It's just a matter of rearanging a few jumpers. That's it :T
            So, does that mean it's better for me to set the jumpers to 100v instead of 120v to operate under 110v? Thanks.
            Tony

Comment

• Frustrated
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by nyny
              So, does that mean it's better for me to set the jumpers to 100v instead of 120v to operate under 110v? Thanks.
              It all depends on your AC input. If the jumpers are set for 120V and you have 100V comming in, your unit simply won't work. However, if your input is 240V the main fuse will blow ,as it's suppose to, instead of the amp. Remember there are TWO sets of jumpers you have to rearange on most amps.

Comment

• csloo
                • Jan 2005

Rb1050

Do anybody know how to convert RB1050 from 115v to 230v?

Comment

• chrish
                  • Jan 2006

csloo, did you have any luck finding out how to convert your 1050 from 110 volts to 230 volts? I have just purchased a 1050 on ebay frm US and would like to find out how to convert it before it arrives here in Australia.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

• csloo
                    • Jan 2005

nope, i end up using a converter, the dealer here "refuse" to do the convertion for me......I am in Malaysia.

Comment

• RMB
                      • Feb 2006

I am also interested in changing voltage from 110 to 230V - on a RMB1075 - USA costs is half that of SA. Pictures would be nice

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"