X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ex-hafler
    • Feb 2017

Rotel Virgin

Just picked up an RSX-1055 on the cheap. Thing is absolutely mint and was packed as though it were made of eggshell. I got lucky.

On to the sound... I could not be more impressed. I have had Hafler equipment in the past and this thing is every bit as good and I dare say better. I am not into the video and movie modes. They work. Good enough for me. I listen to music, but still wanted to BE ABLE to have 5.1 sound if I do watch a movie... but not at the expense of music quality. I can't say that I have heard a receiver that sounds like this thing. It is quick, tight, and super quiet. I can finally see what all the rage is about. I feel like punching myself in my head for waiting this long.

I am running Wharfedale Diamond 10.7, and for those that were asking, it is a great match (like the B&W thing). Maybe it's a British thing.

Anyway, just a thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the insight I snuck while lurking around here.
  • ex-hafler
    • Feb 2017

Having done some reading on other Rotel units, can anyone compare the 1055 with the 1065? Is it just more power (not that I need it for my space)?

I have a Chromecast Audio and it is a tremendous little device. I tried using the internal DAC on the 1055 and while it was good, it was not any better than the DAC in the CCA. Now, I understand that given the age of the 1055, newer DACs are going to be better. I was just amazed at HOW good the DAC in the CCA is. Is the DAC in the 1065 any better? I am thinking maybe a DAC from hifimediy to clean up the CCA a little bit, even though it is already "black out" quiet as it is.

Listen for one day and already say to myself "You mean they make BETTER units?". Is there a cure for upgraditis?

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

for music, you will do better with an external DAC.

as for the cure for upgraditis......
      .....i have been at this stuff for over 40 years........
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by ex-hafler
        Having done some reading on other Rotel units, can anyone compare the 1055 with the 1065? Is it just more power (not that I need it for my space)?

I have a Chromecast Audio and it is a tremendous little device. I tried using the internal DAC on the 1055 and while it was good, it was not any better than the DAC in the CCA. Now, I understand that given the age of the 1055, newer DACs are going to be better. I was just amazed at HOW good the DAC in the CCA is. Is the DAC in the 1065 any better? I am thinking maybe a DAC from hifimediy to clean up the CCA a little bit, even though it is already "black out" quiet as it is.

Listen for one day and already say to myself "You mean they make BETTER units?". Is there a cure for upgraditis?
        You've got a great 'musical' AVR there!! The 1065 is essentially the same unit but with more power. The DAC's in the 1065 would be the same as the 1055.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Just picked up an RSX-1055 on the cheap. Thing is absolutely mint and was packed as though it were made of eggshell. I got lucky.

On to the sound... I could not be more impressed. I have had Hafler equipment in the past and this thing is every bit as good and I dare say better. I am not into the video and movie modes. They work. Good enough for me. I listen to music, but still wanted to BE ABLE to have 5.1 sound if I do watch a movie... but not at the expense of music quality. I can't say that I have heard a receiver that sounds like this thing. It is quick, tight, and super quiet. I can finally see what all the rage is about. I feel like punching myself in my head for waiting this long.

I am running Wharfedale Diamond 10.7, and for those that were asking, it is a great match (like the B&W thing). Maybe it's a British thing.

Anyway, just a thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the insight I snuck while lurking around here.
          Well said !! I would say quick....tight......AND.....with piles of headroom (reserve power). That AVR at 75wpc puts to shame many other higher power rated mid level AVR's (Denon/Yamaha/Marantz etc.)
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• ex-hafler
            • Feb 2017

I still have my Hafler XL280 on standby, but I don't think it is going to see any action. This thing is impressive.

I am using a Chromecast Audio with Tidal lossless as my source. My old source was an ipod through an HRT iStreamer DAC and it was very nice. I have to say that DAC technology has come a long way because the DAC in the CCA is better than the HRT as well as the internal DAC. I was thinking of getting an Hifimediy DAC, and still might since they are only $60, but I can't see how the improvememt can be anything other than very incremental. Snobs turn their nose up at these little units, but I think the CCA is the real deal... and for $35? Give me a break.

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

.....I was thinking of getting an Hifimediy DAC, and still might since they are only $60, but I can't see how the improvememt can be anything other than very incremental. Snobs turn their nose up at these little units, but I think the CCA is the real deal... and for $35? Give me a break.
              yes, i am one of those snobs.
              what you see may likely be different than what you will hear with one of these budget DAC's:

Schiit Modi Multibit

not trying to be a smart ass, but with the system you have when running lossless files, i am V confident you would be quite happy, if not overwhelmingly impressed with the results.:W
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ex-hafler
                • Feb 2017

I have been looking at the Schiit DACs as well. I have read that the Chromecast Audio is "bit perfect", so as a bit server, it should be as good as most anything. I am waffling between the Schiit and the Hifimediy. The Audioengine DAC is also of interest. I think I am going for the Hifidiyme to try and if I don't like it I can unload it for what I paid for it. Thanks for the advice. Seems we have a similar outlook on gear configs.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

technically, V few, if any DAC's are "bit perfect".
                  it is marketing double-speak.

an interesting interview with Schiit co-owner, Mike Moffat:

LINK
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ex-hafler
                    • Feb 2017

That is a GREAT read. Thank you, it was refreshing to read some truth.

The evolution of audio is indeed interesting. We all wanted to get away from vinyl and now we all aspire to get back to it. What happened in the middle?

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

V pleased you liked it.

might like THIS, too
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ex-hafler
                        • Feb 2017

Many factors there that never crossed my mind. Although in my own defense, this is one of the reasons I stay away from PCs to serve my music. There is SO much going on that I can see the opportunity for error is large. I have always stuck with single purpose devices. Now I plug a thumb drive into my router and use the CCA to fetch the FLAC files that are on that drive. Does that REALLY make a difference? I don't know... but it somehow makes me feel better. Sort of an audiophile placebo effect if you will.

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

I hear ya...

my old-school tendencies often guide my my choices in audio......
                          ....as in the shortest path between two points is less likely to encounter interference.
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ex-hafler
                            • Feb 2017

I had to satisfy my curiosity and did a blind back to back test with a friend (who has a good ear) to compare the Rotel's sound to that of my Hafler XL280. I had the gear setup in my rack and the Hafler was turned on so the power LED would glow, in both tests. Just a little optics to try to throw him off.

I had him listen to two songs, back to back, twice each. Had to listen all the way through. The songs were of his choosing. Streamed from Tidal (which I am finding to be brilliant, BTW) >>> Chromecast Audio >>> Hifimediy DAC >>> Rotel 6 channel in >>> either Rotel or Hafler amplifiers >>> Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 speakers (I turned off the SVS sub for this test). I made him leave the room between tests. He had no idea which one was running the show.

There was no question. He (and I) preferred the sound of the Rotel. Now, the XL280 is vintage and has NOT been recapped or modded in any way. The results though were surprising. The place where the Rotel shone over the Hafler was in the bass department. I would have expected the top-end/sparkle. But no, it was in how well controlled the bass was. There was just more presence with the Rotel. In terms of shear force, the Hafler wins hands down, but I did not tip him at all by turning the SPL up over 90db. Same volume level for both tests (using a test tone).

I have been a Hafler fan since 1986, and maybe the XL280 is just tired, but this test really wasn't even close. He was every bit as surprised since he has always been envious of my Hafler gear. And now... he has a chance to buy it

Long and short of it... As you may have read above, I am a two channel purists who begrudgingly bought a HT receiver to take advantage of it for movies (and use some of my excessive speaker collection), BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF MUSIC. Mission accomplished. I am all in on Rotel at this point.

I do have a morbid curiosity as to how the Anthem receivers sound. Has anyone compared an Anthem to a Rotel rig?

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"