Hooking up Rotel RSX-1055 as a DAC source for Schiit Valhalla 2 for headphones

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HSSIDHU
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2017
    • 3

    #1

    Hooking up Rotel RSX-1055 as a DAC source for Schiit Valhalla 2 for headphones

    Hello all

    I am new here, this is my first post.

    I need your help to sort out the problem I have which is set out below.

    I have a Rotel-1055 AVR which I am now only using in a 2.0 setup with 2 Mirage M490 bookshelf speakers, the source is a blu-ray player, and Dune Smart H1 (media player) both of which are connected to the Panasonic TH-L42E6K via HDMI cables (the Rotel RSX 1055 is not equipped with HDMI in/out). The blu-ray player is also connected to the Rotel by co-axial cable. The TV is connected to the Rotel avr via an optical cable. By the way, this set up is in my study; and my main setup is in the living room where I have a 5.1 setup.

    Recently I purchased Sennheisser headphones model HD650 and a headphone amp, Schiit Valhalla 2. I am able to connect the Schiit amp to the Dune media player as these both have RCA in/out sockets for analogue output. I feel the Rotel RSX 1055 has a better DAC and I want to use the Rotel as a source for the Schiit amp.

    I have tried connecting the Schiit amp via RCA cables to the analogue tape output on the Rotel, as well as the analogue Zone 2 output, both without any success. I would very like to use the Rotel as a DAC for the Schiit amp.
    Have I failed because I have not reconfigured correctly in the Rotel settings? If so how should I remedy this problem? My Video 1 on the Rotel is configured for 2 large speakers as I am not using a sub.
    Last edited by HSSIDHU; 09 December 2017, 08:17 Saturday. Reason: spelling mistake
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002
    • 4601

    #2
    Unfortunately the DAC's in the Rotel are only available for the the main zone. The only thing available from the analog tape outputs or Zone 2 outputs are analog in sources.

    Kevin D.

    Comment

    • HSSIDHU
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2017
      • 3

      #3
      Originally posted by Kevin D
      Unfortunately the DAC's in the Rotel are only available for the the main zone. The only thing available from the analog tape outputs or Zone 2 outputs are analog in sources.

      Kevin D.
      Thank you for your response, but I am not clear as to what you actually meant to convey. The Schiit (headphone amp) needs an analogue input from the Rotel AVR. The question is how to obtain this analogue output from the Rotel.

      Comment

      • Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002
        • 4601

        #4
        If you want to use the tape out, video out, or zone 2 out, you must run analog cables to the Rotel from your sources.

        The only analog outputs available with digital sources would be from the multichannel preouts. You could use those, but you would need to use the Rotel volume knob and disconnect the bookshelf speakers. Not very user friendly for headphone use.

        Kevin D.

        Comment

        • HSSIDHU
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2017
          • 3

          #5
          Thank you for your response, Kevin. Connecting to 2 of the 5 multi-channel pre-outs would not be feasible. If there is no useful way to connect my Schiit headphone amp to any of the analogue outputs of the Rotel AVR I might have to buy a DAC to provide an analogue source for the Schiit amp. I was hoping that I would not need to do that.

          Comment

          Related Topics

          Collapse

          • Ovation
            Headphones, anyone?
            by Ovation
            As there doesn't seem to be any particular place to discuss headphones, I thought I'd open a thread here.

            Just curious about what, if any, headphones (on-ear, over-ear, in-ear, other) people are using? How important? How often? With headphone amp? Or not? Best set(s) ever heard? End-game...
            26 January 2018, 18:50 Friday
          • Briz vegas
            B&W headphones
            by Briz vegas
            I raised this in the thread about B&Ws new product, which turned out to be a sound bar. (insert snore here)

            The more I think about it the more I think that B&W is moving away from its traditional market. How many audiophiles would consider a soundbar as their solution, how many...
            16 January 2009, 18:26 Friday
          • PewterTA
            You're not going to believe this Schiit - Ragnarok & Yggdrasil
            by PewterTA
            Looks like the Schiit is going to hit the fan here soon!!!!

            I love announcements and I might have to drop the coin on the new DAC.... hee hee.

            I have to say I've been very impressed with their products and it looks like this will be some good stuff coming from them in the world...
            12 June 2013, 08:17 Wednesday
          • wkhanna
            Will the Industry Schiit their Pants?
            by wkhanna
            Schiit released their latest DAC, the Yggdrasil, aka the 'Yggy'.

            Click the FAQ tab on the page for some of Jasson's tongue-in-cheek marketing spiel (always good for a laugh).

            HERE is some info from one of company reps regarding the 'new' technology.

            I am dying...
            25 April 2015, 16:31 Saturday
          • JonMarsh
            Back to the Future with Love, Sex, War and Death... the Schiit Freya is here
            by JonMarsh




            The Freya by Schiit Audio is an anachronism and a marvelous melding of different levels of functionality in a ludicrously inexpensive line stage preamp for the 21st century.

            It's a passive preamp, using a digital encoder to control a precision relay and resistor...
            14 January 2017, 12:43 Saturday
          • Loading...
          • No more items.
          Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

            Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

            Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"