X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spadez
    • Jan 2010

Rotel Stereo Amp - Newie questions

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to move away from my Onkyo 807 surround sound amp and embark on the path of a stereo system. I must admit, I'm not much of a movie person but I love my music.

I'm looking at the Rotel stereo power amp RB-1552. It looks like a beautiful bit of kit. I do, however, have some questions:

A) I see a lot of people talking about requiring a preamp. I'm thinking this is going to be a very simple single source setup so it's not required. Is there any other good reason why I should get a preamp under these circumstances?

B) I'm really unsure about the size of speakers I could drive with these. They are rated for about 120W per channel. I will start with a simple set of bookshelfs, but if I upgrade to some fairly hefty floor standings in the future, say something like the B&W 704, would this amp handle them fine, I should I be investing in something like the RB-1582. It would be shame to spend the exta money if I don't have to, but at the same time, I don't want to find I need to replace this in a few years.

Any thoughts or input would be really appreciated as I embark on this jouney.

James
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

As far as I can tell by looking at this amp, you will need a pre-amp for a variety of reasons, mostly for switching between various sources and for EQ etc.

You will have no problem powering anything with this amp! This will be a huge step up from your Onkyo!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Audio_ElF
      • Oct 2007

Generally you will need a pre-amp for volume control as well as source selection. However if you are looking at a digital only system a lot of people are heading towards having a DAC with built in volume control and using that with a computer to play back music.

Comment

• spadez
        • Jan 2010

That's a shame, I was trying to avoid that but I guess you are right, I need something to control volume, since I wouldn't use the preamp for source selection (only one input). This gives me two questions:

A) Is there any way to limit the stereo amps (RB1552) volume to a set maximum. That way if for whatever reason the input is at max it wouldn't blow my speakers. This way I could probably get away with a volume dial.

B) Is there a way I can get a simple volume control unit without spending a lot of money. I.e an audiophile volume dial for the RB1552 with the sole purpose of controlling volume without any DAC or fancy switching.

C) Final question! Even if I did buy a simple Rotel DAC it doesn't even seem to have a way of controlling volume?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, sorry about that! If anyone can help, even with one or two of the questions I would really appreciate it.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
          • Oct 2007

You could try a simple passive volume control between a DAC and a power amp. A couple of options I can think off off top of my head include TC Electronics Level Pilot, Schiit Sys or Emotiva Control Freak.

If you're looking to buy a DAC as well as an amplifier, don't forget that the RC1570 (like the RC1590) have a DAC built in.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

And to throw an answer in to the OP's first post question B) , yes , 120 wpc Rotel amp will drive the 704s nicely. And will sound quite good doing so.
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"