what to look out for when using more than 1 amp in a stereo/HT setup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmt
    • Jan 2005

what to look out for when using more than 1 amp in a stereo/HT setup?

Using a surround amp to power all speakers in an HT setup is pretty straight-forward. All speakers get the same power from the same amp so every channel plays at the same volume.

Which problems can pop up when you have a big stereo amp that powers the main speakers of a combined stereo/ HT setup and a smaller surround amp for powering the front and surround speakers?
    Will the front speakers possibly play louder when using the HT? Is there a big difference when using amps of different brands?

my (almost ) current system:
    B&W N802s on Classe CA-401. not sure yet about the pre-amp.
    Denon 3500 as pre-amp for HT and powering center (B&W LCR6) and surrounds (B&W 602 S2)
    In time I'm getting a HTM1 and the LCR6 will move to the back as center surround. Will need a new amp for powering the HTM1 center.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unless one amp has a significantly different sonic signiture or gain rating then the other I seriously doubt its much to worry about. For one thing your speakers are going to sound different from each other due to a host of other issues given their different locations in the room for minor differences in amps to be a concern.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"