My first Surround (with Stereo Emphasis) - Help in choice pls.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amix
    • May 2004

My first Surround (with Stereo Emphasis) - Help in choice pls.

Hi,

I want a 5.1 setup (amp can be +)

Considerations:

- I am a music-lover, who also connects his computers to the amp. I want nice cinema, but music is first and most important. I am a little audiophile and got good ears.

- the sources come from the harddisc (lossless codecs), CDs or DVDs of the DVD-ROM in a HTPC. Except a very good Dolby-S tapedeck there is no other sources.

- my living-room (place de l'audiovision) is rather small. It is around 5.3 x 4.5m, (sorry, only metrics here) with the couch right at the wall. This means, that my rear-speakers will maybe be positioned on stands directly left/rigth to my couch (a little behind my ears) and I can only use small speakers, tower's not an option here. The front might be even needed to be wall-mount. :roll:

So, my question to you would be to help me finding my match. :B

As for the speakers I have in mind:
    B&W: 4x CM2 | CM C center | ASW CM LFE
    or
    Dynaudio: 4x Audience 52 | Audience Center | Sub20A

The recievers would be either:
    Harman+Kardon AVR-430 (800 Euro)
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540R 6.1. (700-800 Euro)

Or, at a class higher, the Arcam 200
    a 2nd hand ROTEL RSX-1055 from Ebay

I really want good stereo !

However, in the meanwhile I am willing to spend a little (?) more on the electronics, since I really need good sound. Also I tend to make such investments for ten years or more. I am aware, that the surround techniques evolve all two years, but at least the speakers won't change that quick, and if I go the way of seperating prepr and amps, than all I need to change is the prepro.

What do you think ?

Would a combo of RSP-1068 and RMB-1066 be adequate to the speaker-class I have in mind ? And later maybe an RB-1070 for the front ?

Or even RSP-1066 with RSP-1075 ? And later an RMB-1080 for front ?

What is better:

RMB-1066 (bridged to 3x) + RB-1070 or RMB-1075 for all 5 speakers ?

But maybe, considering the speakers and the room I have I might go better with an AV-Receiver instead (I do not very much like the design of the ROTEL ones, so that would need to be another one, at least if I can get as much sound for the same price)

Maybe the Cambridge Audio receiver as prepro and some good PA(s) ?

I need to narrow my choices before going to listen, since here, where I live, these things are not that natural like in other countries.

Thanks a lot and :later:
    Adios, amix :dothewave:
    Stereo: Rotel RA-840 BX4, Rotel RP-955 (Ortofon MC 15 Super), Nakamichi CR4, DBX DX-900, Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE, OCOS
    HTPC-Server: P4 1.8, ASUS p4PE, 512MB, 2x 250GB, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, G550DH, DVB-s, SATA HotSwap, GB-Lan
  • Glen
    • Dec 2003

Amix :later:

I have the 1066 and 1075 and I love them. Stereo playback is excellent - very clean. Multi channel playback is also excellent. From what I've read - they are tailored to the B&W speakers - so they are a very good match. I do not think you'll find better quality for the price than Rotel.

Note : there is a huge wealth of info in Club Rotel ( probably the most you'll find on the web )

Check it out. :T

Comment

• amix
      • May 2004

Ahm there you are ! Thanks for your reply

Well, I know these are good.

But what I am interested in also is, if they are not overdoze for my speakers. Most people with B&W Speakers and the 066/075 combo do have the 805 or 804, which are some classes higher.

Also I see nowhere reviews about the RMB-1066. Even at Rotel's side it is listed as 'distribution amplifier' and not as 'multichannel amplifier'. Judging by the model name and the design one would assume it is the intended match to the RSP-1066. However, all use the RMB-1075.

Right now I would either go with the Harman AVR-430, the Cambridge Audio Azur 560R 6.1 or the Arcam AVR-200.

Or go split-component with RSP-1068, RMB-1066 and RB-1070. However, as it would still fit my budget I would not mind getting a RMB-1075 and RB1080 if the sonic win is that high.

I know I must listen to them at the shop, but there the athmosphere is shortlived and I would like to hear some long-time experiences.
      Adios, amix :dothewave:
      Stereo: Rotel RA-840 BX4, Rotel RP-955 (Ortofon MC 15 Super), Nakamichi CR4, DBX DX-900, Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE, OCOS
      HTPC-Server: P4 1.8, ASUS p4PE, 512MB, 2x 250GB, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, G550DH, DVB-s, SATA HotSwap, GB-Lan

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"