X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TAYFUR GUNAY
    • Oct 2014

Problem with Rotel Power Amp RB-1090

Dear Rotel lovers
    I have a problem with my power amp RB-1090. When I press the front power up button all house lights go off. This problem happens as soon as i press the front button , before front leds light or soft start relay reacts. What would be the problem. I have experienced this problem one night i think, when voltage was about 250 or above (which should be 220)

After measuring certain points nothing wrong with internal‎ parts.
    Already changed the two diodes right after the mains, but problems still there.
    Could be a problem with soft start relay or otherwise . I highly appreciate your assistance if similar case reported/experienced before.
    Many thanks for your valuable guidance in advance.
  • TAYFUR GUNAY
    • Oct 2014

Problem with Rotel Power Amp RB-1090

Dear Rotel Club Members,

Needing expert guidance for my power amp RB-1090, if possible.

When I press the front power up button all house lights go off. This problem happens as soon as i press the front button , before front leds light or soft start relay reacts. What would be the problem. I have experienced this problem one night i think, when voltage was about 250 or above (which should be 220vac)

After measuring certain points nothing wrong with internal‎ parts. Already replaced the two diodes right after the mains, but problems still there.
    Could be a problem with soft start relay or otherwise . I highly appreciate any assistance from whom experienced similar before...Many thanks for your valuable guidance in advance.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

The lights in my house always dim momentarily when I power my 1090 on.
      I do not have a separate circuit for my system, yet.

Do you run the amp through a power conditioner/surge protector, or straight from the outlet?

Does your unit still work OK otherwise?

Odd that this would just start happening on its own (assuming you have had the amp for while).

Have you added any appliances our other power-consuming devices or lighting lately?

(BTW, I merged both your posts so all the responses will be in one thread/location)
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Check the thyristor and/or "spark killer" circuit.

- Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Well Done, Mike!

Thanks!
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TAYFUR GUNAY
            • Oct 2014

Thank you Bill first merging my two messages,secondly for your reply and circuit. My unit unfortunately not working. I run my amp from the outlet, no any power condition or such in between. Last night we have gone one step forward, and discovered 20watt 10ohm large resistors found burned. As we go further and solve the problem I will share here with members.

Comment

• TAYFUR GUNAY
              • Oct 2014

The poblem was with the large "resistor" (20w/10ohm) and, in order to be safe side, "relay" on the surge absorber PCB have been replaced. Now the unit operates with no problem. For the concern of whom intrested I just shared... cheers.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

That's very cool Tayfur that you have the electrical wherewithall to diagnose and fix a problem like that yourself!

Congrats !!
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by TAYFUR GUNAY
                  The poblem was with the large "resistor" (20w/10ohm) and, in order to be safe side, "relay" on the surge absorber PCB have been replaced. Now the unit operates with no problem. For the concern of whom intrested I just shared... cheers.
                  Sounds similar to an issue Dan (PewterTA) had.
                  His problem was the result of a power surge.

Glad you got it fixed!

You may be interested the mods Dan made to his & my 1090.
                  details found here:

Ohhh today is a rough day... Last night I went to turn off my Rotel RB-1090 amp and when I pressed the button.... well the light stayed on... which I thought was odd. SO my thinking was, I missed pushing in the button all the way and it didn't turn off, so I bent over again and pushed the power button. However, when I pushed
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"