X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cnaltaylor
    • Nov 2003

DSP 1098 - looses all settings after power cut

Hi,
    I have a DSP-1098, what a wonderful piece of gear !

I do have an issue and I am interested to hear if anyone else has suffered this problem.
    We had a power cut recently and my 1098 lost all the personal settings and resorted back to the factory defaults.
    I have re-defined the settings again, stored them as personal settings, and all was well, until we had another power cut - D'OH !

All the settings were lost once again - frustration reigns once again…..

Any ideas anyone?

It sounds like a hardware fault to me, but I thought I would ask to see if you have had the problem

Les.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

They may use a small on board battery to retain settings, and if the battery has failed all changed values will be lost.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I've had issues before on their preamps/receivers where a power surge (usually with a power failure) can cause a loss of settings.

A small battery backup (UPS) has always solved those issues. The memory is in the eeprom chip, so I don't believe batteries are an issue.

Kevin D.

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

Not to split hairs, I would be suprised if these values were held on a ee. When we update the software I am sure that is where this is written to, thus firmware. But the user settable values are more like ram (novram, etc...)and normally need to be held via battery, normally on board. Bob

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

If it is a battery, he should be able to unplug it for the same period as the outage and lose all setting again..

Kevin D.

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

Correct. As not to confuse, a power surge (spike) can make it into the system far enough to corrupt memory, although not overly common, but this is not the same as a power fail.

Comment

• Bostonears
              • Mar 2004

cnaltaylor,

Was the 1098 on a surge suppressor or other power conditioner when the power blinked out?

Was it turned on when the power blinked?

My RSP-1068 is on a Panamax surge suppressor. I've lost settings on it when the power went out and the 1068 was in standby. I've also had the power go out when the unit was turned on, and the settings didn't get lost. Maybe it's just a coincidence or random luck, but maybe not.

Comment

• cnaltaylor
                • Nov 2003

I do not have a surge supressor - I may have to look at this ASAP (Aussie Geoff has indicated a good one made in in AUS.

I always leave the unit in standby mode.

I will try switching off the unit and see if the settings are lost.

I think I may have to contact my friendly Rotel supplier ....

Comment

• amallol
                  • Jun 2004

I recently had the same problem, contacted Rotel Tech Support and they recommended that I re-install the firmware, which I did. So far so good...

Comment

• mjb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

The user settings should be non-volatile, regardless of how this is achieved!

I think the most likely explination (purely speculative) is if a user data corruption is detected the firmware resets or clear's the user data to factory defaults, protecting the unit from erroneous operation. Power fluctuations can corrupt data!

After a firmaware upgrade, factory defaults should be loaded. Otherwise, the old user data may be incompatible with some newer firmware features, and therefore appear corrupted, causing a "load factory defaults" to automatically happen.

As I said, purely speculative, but (to me at least) it sounds reasonable!!!
                    - Mike

Main System:
                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• cnaltaylor
                      • Nov 2003

I have installed the power surge protection and mains filter, upgraded to the recently released firmware - AND ......

No issues at all - hoorah !

Just watching and enjoying fine reproduction.

Here's hoping !

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

I've recently experienced loss of all settings on my 1098. This has happened twice since the beginning of the month, but oddly it never occurred before. We have had a large number of thunderstorms in our area over the past two weeks and I suspect that may have something to do with it. My house is equipped with a whole house surge suppressor and my system is equipped with a Monster HTS3600. Between those two I would think my system is protected, however, apparently not.

I suspect that lightning strikes occurring in the area may be inducing voltages within the unit that are wiping out the settings without actually getting into the wiring. Anyone else have any ideas?
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Any system that we have that experienced this problem always gets solved with a small battery backup unit. I don't think it's surge problems, but really quick moments of no power.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2003

Kevin,

I agree. My RSP-1098 keeps settings for days without power. However a very quick loss (1-3 seconds) such as caused by an electrician - can cause it to loose all settings. Has happenned 3 times in 2+ years...

Geoff

Comment

• DrJRapp
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2003

I just added a small (350 va) computer UPS to only the 1098 only in my system. Let's see if that helps.
                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"