X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richmaxmi
    • Oct 2014

Bi-wiring worthwhile?

As you may have seen from previous posts, I am upgrading...

I notice that my speaker cables are 16/4 which means they could be bi-wired with the mere addition of some new banana plugs. With my budget Rotel set up, is this likely to have any advantage? I like the neutral and laid-back sound of my setup but feel (I'm no expert though) that separation could be improved. I have a used Rotel power amp coming which I suspect will make more of a difference. My speakers are bi-wirable and floor stand 7cm from the wall (mainly for convenience with my young son around).
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I think there are many more important factors in a good audio system setup that can affect it's sound quality than bi-wiring. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with it per se, but I don't think that it will necessarily blow your mind with superior audio performance either.

If you are looking for improved separation, I would experiment with speaker choice, placement and setup above bi-wiring.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• richmaxmi
      • Oct 2014

Thank you. I have reconnected my cables as I hadn't done for a while and am now trying some speaker adjustments as you suggested.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by richmaxmi
        Thank you. I have reconnected my cables as I hadn't done for a while and am now trying some speaker adjustments as you suggested.
        Have fun!. Small adjustments in speaker placement and 'toe in' angles can have a HUGE effect on their sound!

Comment

• richmaxmi
          • Oct 2014

'Toe-in angles'? Interesting as I always assumed speakers should be squared off. I shall experiment. I presume having one of my speakers between a bookcase and the corner of the wall is not ideal?

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

'Toe-in angles'? Interesting as I always assumed speakers should be squared off. I shall experiment. I presume having one of my speakers between a bookcase and the corner of the wall is not ideal?
            No....it is not at all ideal !

Comment

• richmaxmi
              • Oct 2014

Yes. Less than ideal indeed. Since my son is now 5 and eminently trainable, I played around with the speakers yesterday. Have found a great improvement by moving the speakers out from the wall (35 cm), angled 'toe-in' at around 10 degrees. In a fit of obsessive audiophiliac behaviour I also rewired, dusted and ensured my favourite seat on our sofa and the speakers themselves are equidistant. My wife came home and told me I was a little overly pedantic (in slightly stronger terms) but there is no doubt that the subtlety and separation is markedly improved. Also, the bass is not as dominant which I definitely prefer; Mark Knofler's finger picking sounded out of this world compared to before. Streaming Spotify was better as well.

In short, thanks for the tips Madmac.

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Great post richmaxmi... glad you survived the wrath, lol. Now, enjoy your new found nirvana, and the music!
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Yes. Less than ideal indeed. Since my son is now 5 and eminently trainable, I played around with the speakers yesterday. Have found a great improvement by moving the speakers out from the wall (35 cm), angled 'toe-in' at around 10 degrees. In a fit of obsessive audiophiliac behaviour I also rewired, dusted and ensured my favourite seat on our sofa and the speakers themselves are equidistant. My wife came home and told me I was a little overly pedantic (in slightly stronger terms) but there is no doubt that the subtlety and separation is markedly improved. Also, the bass is not as dominant which I definitely prefer; Mark Knofler's finger picking sounded out of this world compared to before. Streaming Spotify was better as well.

In short, thanks for the tips Madmac.
                  Now you've GOT IT!!. Enjoy and now keep fiddling with your gear and speaker placement.....and......your welcome!

Comment

• richmaxmi
                    • Oct 2014

I will. Seriously big sound improvement and late last night when I tried to listen to some Ryan Adams/Cold Roses FLAC on my Nexus, in aeroplane mode through my Westone UM2s I was shocked at how poor it now sounded in comparison. Never mind...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"