X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Re-soldering amp relays

Anyone ever re-solder the relays on an old SS amp? I have a NAD 2200PE that's been solid until recently, and I've tracked the problem down to bad solder joints on the relays. They're surface mounted and it looks a little complicated to get at the bottom of the board.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

SM repair can be sometimes be tricky. Did you do the repair yet?
    If the component was 'glued' to board first, it might not be too hard to re-flow the joint.
    Do you have a pic?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

I would also suggest to re-flow the joint (adding some fresh solder).

Comment

• tftn
        • Dec 2007

i think you better to ask some pro to do so for you.

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

I've worked on amps before, so I'm not to worried about hurting anything (including myself). I was just looking to see if anyone had worked on this particular amp. I have the service manual and it actually doesn't look that hard to get at the relay solder joints. I'm also going to clean and rough up the contacts a little. If I screw something up, it's cheaper to replace it than have a "pro" work on it.
          Santino

Comment

• tftn
            • Dec 2007

a lot of work. good luck

Comment

• jkrutke
              • Dec 2005

Just a little comment since I've done this a few times myself on older NAD and proton equipment - it's more likely the relay itself rather than the solder connection. It seemed to be a common problem on older NAD and proton stuff. So much that I used to buy amps with this problem, fix them and sell them, netting myself a healthy profit.

You can get replacement relays from Digikey, usually something from Omron will fit. You'll need a solder sucker or wicking material.
              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jkrutke
                Just a little comment since I've done this a few times myself on older NAD and proton equipment - it's more likely the relay itself rather than the solder connection. It seemed to be a common problem on older NAD and proton stuff. So much that I used to buy amps with this problem, fix them and sell them, netting myself a healthy profit.

You can get replacement relays from Digikey, usually something from Omron will fit. You'll need a solder sucker or wicking material.
                Thanks John. I thought about replacing them since I'm going through the bother of getting at them anyway, but I have no info on the relays themselves. So, I'm not sure what a proper replacement relay would be.
                Santino

Comment

• jkrutke
                  • Dec 2005

Everything you need to know about replacing the relay is on the relay itself. There's probably a voltage or amperage rating, and the only other thing you need to know is the pin configuration and dimensions. It will actually be clear when you look at the circuit board which pins carry the signal to the speaker wires and which supply the voltage to trigger the relay. From there you can find what you need at Digikey or Mouser.

I'll still emphasize that the relays are likely toast and you need to replace them. (anything is possible though) Many years ago, over a 1 year period I purchased about 6 "broken" NAD and Proton amps, replaced the relays and sold them. I don't want to make anyone sick by announcing my net profit there, heheh. I'm no electronics expert, but it was fairly easy. The problem was always bad relays, and sometimes you could tap on them with a pencil eraser to trigger them.
                  Zaph|Audio

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

What if you tapped them with a frozen fish?

(no idea, random waaaaaay left field thought of the day I guess)

C
                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"