X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BilGe
    • Apr 2007

RSP-1068 repair cost

A few hours ago a big thunderstorm moved through. I took a couple of power blinks. When it was all over, the digital decoder in my RSP-1068 is toast.

When decoding any multi-channel format, both the center and sub outputs have no signal. The center channel has a light buzz. It may also be in the sub channel, but inaudible due to restricted frequency response in the subwoofer. As soon as I switch to a non-digital input, the center channel buzz goes away.

The problem also exists when running test tones. The test tone generator produces no output on the sub and only a light buzz on the center channel. The front and rear pairs work correctly.

All analog inputs work. The multi-channel input works for all channels including center and sub. Decoding 2-channel PCM such as from a CD player works.

There is another annoyance I have been living with. When I turn the volume control, it randomly picks whether to increase or decrease the volume. Sometimes I go two complete turns and have not changed the volume at all! It seems to work a bit better when turning slow. Changing volume on the remote works correctly. This is probably nothing more than some dirty contacts and could be fixed with a shot of de-oxit.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of ballpark a repair will cost? I strongly suspect it will be cheaper for me to buy another unit.

Thanks - Bill Gee
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

You can expect it to cost from $300-500 bucks or so to fix it. As well, it will take a good month at Rotel for them to fix it before you get it back. It's a good idea to get Rotel to do it because it will at least come with a repair guarantee.

Quick question......Was your Rotel connected to a good surge/ spike conditioning power bar??
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• BilGe
      • Apr 2007

Hi Madmac -

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. For that price I can buy another unit off eBay.

Regarding surge supressors - Yes, I have several in the system. The primary suppressor is a Rotel RLC-900. I also have a power strip suppressor rated for something like 2000 joules. Some equipment, mainly the home theater PC, is connected to a UPS. In a previous thread I talked about getting a true sine wave UPS to feed the RSP-1068 and some other devices. I have not done that yet.

The newest Rotel processors will not work for me. I have no need of video switching (I do video switching on the display) or HDMI, and they do not have a tape monitor loop. Reading through owner's manuals - An RSP-1066, 1068 or 1098 has the right kinds of inputs. The 1098 is physically too large for my rack.

For now I am working around the problem by using the DAC in my DVD player. It does all of A/C-3, DTS, DVD-Audio and multi-channel SACD. It has analog outputs, so by feeding it to the multi-input on the 1068 I can still play almost everything. What I lose is AC/3 decoding from the ATSC tuner and the HTPC.

In the absolute worst case - I can just go back to my RTC-980. That will require adjusting outputs from the HTPC.

Thanks - Bill Gee

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

While it's certainly a fair possibility that the digital board is damaged, because you can still decode 2 channel PCM I was wondering if a Factory Reset or a Firmware Software Update (if not already at the latest version, v1.31) might help?

Steve

Comment

• BilGe
          • Apr 2007

Hi Steve -

I already tried resetting to factory defaults. No luck. I also turned it off, unplugged it and let it sit for an hour. That should ensure a cold boot on the computer. No change.

The firmware is 1.1.7. I thought that was the latest version for the 1068. Maybe not ... I'll poke around and see if there is something newer.

Bill Gee

Comment

• srb
            • Oct 2004

According to the B&W Group Service and Support page

http://bwgroupsupport.com/ > Downloads > Software Updates > Rotel > RSP-1068 > Main Software - the current version is v1.31 ( 07/02/2008 )

Steve

Comment

• BilGe
              • Apr 2007

Hi Steve -

No luck. I upgraded to 1.3.1. The problem did not change.

Getting the upgrade done was an adventure all by itself! I do not own a Windows computer, so the documented process is of no use. Fortunately Rotel uses a rather primitive communications method. I was able to get it done with the Linux minicom application.

Bill Gee

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"