• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Rotel morning surprise!!

:E

Thought I would share a shocking shock I received this morning from my Rotel amp. Having left the radio on at low volume all night, I woke up and proceeded to turn up the volume to hear the news.

Well......at a touch of the volume dial.....just a touch...... the volume level went INSTANTLY from 18 to 80 !!. WHOA!! :E (I've never had it at 80!!)

That woke me up and the neighbors instantly!. I hope this is not a sign of bad things to come and a volume issue with the amp!!

.....I of course checked my speakers and tweeters for any damage......None was noted!! Whew!! :lol:
    Dan Madden :T
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Static electricity?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wkhanna
      Static electricity?
      That would cause something like that??!!.......Fascinating!. Well, here's hoping that's what it was. I have wall to wall carpeting and basically zero humidity here so static is definitely present. Glad there's no apparent damage to the amp.

Comment

• Swimmerbird123
        • Apr 2010

I had something similar happen to me, and it turned out the volume control was broken and needed repair. Rotel fixed it and it continues now to work fine. Here's then thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...C-1082-RB-1070

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I had that happen and I believe (now) that it was static electricity. I had to power off the unit from the back because it went to 80 and stuck there, the unit wouldn't respond at all.

I was initially very upset thinking I blew the speakers and that I couldn't get it to do anything. I then powered it back on and I couldn't get it to power on. So I let it sit for about an hour not plugged in and then it worked perfectly fine.

I could only credit it with static as I did get a slight little zap. Was the oddest thing.

It happened probably about 4 years ago and haven't had any problems with it since then (well not this type of thing that is).

I think you'll be fine, I would just try touching something else to ground you before touching the rotel. That's basically what I do now, though I got a whole house humidifier added to my furnace when I got a new furnace... THAT has made a world of difference keeping static down. It's really night and day difference to how my house was.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Dan, that happened to me once with my RC-1082, and it's never happened again.

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Thanks for the input guys!. My Rotel unit and speakers are fine since then and I will have to try and remember to discharge my electrical self before touching that knob in the future. Or perhaps........use the remote........that's safer!!.

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

I can't remember, but does the RC-1082 have a ground wire? I'm away from home, and I don't think it does. Would that make a difference with the OP's problem?

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
                Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR
                Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• TimbaLand
                  • Aug 2013

The best way to avoid damage as a result of a "fast" volume is to go to the menu and set max volume to a sensible level. Should that happen it'll stop at the max set volume

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by TimbaLand
                    The best way to avoid damage as a result of a "fast" volume is to go to the menu and set max volume to a sensible level. Should that happen it'll stop at the max set volume
                    That's an excellent idea!!. Thanks a lot for that. When you think about it, it's possible that the unit could have just as well shot up to 100%.......In which case, there might have been permanent damage to my speakers!.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"