X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swimmerbird123
    • Apr 2010

Random spike in volume - RC-1082, RB-1070

Several times recently I've experienced a sudden spike in volume from my system while listening at fairly low levels (volume knob at 8 o-clock position on preamp). I'm just listening, and suddenly the volume seems to jump to a maximum, louder than I ever listen at and making me fear for my speakers. I have to turn the volume almost all the way off and then it subsides. A short time later I can return to the volume I was listening at.

This has happened once while playing a CD and several times with a music streaming device, within the first minute or two of a track. At first I thought the digital file somehow got corrupted. But I've then played the CD and the digital files on my computer and there is no such spike, and when I listen again on the Rotel equipment it then plays fine.

I'm wondering where this problem is located. Since it happened with different sources I assume it must be the RC1082 preamp or the RB-1070 amp or the Celestion speakers. Any thoughts? Is it an easily repairable thing? My Rotel equipment is less than two years old.

Thanks
    Swimmer
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Its probably fault of the pre-amp, or a bad interconnect, and not the amp. The reason I say this is because an amp is always at maximum volume, its the pre-amp that limits it. A bad interconnect cable between the pre-amp and amp may cause an intermittent connection, or sometimes a volume knob can change its resistance, both will cause a jump in volume.

If you eliminate the cables, and it still happens, I would definitely have the pre-amp checked before you blow something up, although finding and repairing an intermittent fault is often very difficult!
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

This has happened to me once with my RC-1082 Swimmer, and the issue has been discussed in this forum if you care to search for it. I don't remember any firm conclusions being reached other than the RC-1082 probably reacting to a signal from another remote control.

Nigel.

Comment

• Anovak
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Swimmerbird123
        Several times recently I've experienced a sudden spike in volume from my system while listening at fairly low levels (volume knob at 8 o-clock position on preamp). I'm just listening, and suddenly the volume seems to jump to a maximum, louder than I ever listen at and making me fear for my speakers. I have to turn the volume almost all the way off and then it subsides. A short time later I can return to the volume I was listening at.

This has happened once while playing a CD and several times with a music streaming device, within the first minute or two of a track. At first I thought the digital file somehow got corrupted. But I've then played the CD and the digital files on my computer and there is no such spike, and when I listen again on the Rotel equipment it then plays fine.

I'm wondering where this problem is located. Since it happened with different sources I assume it must be the RC1082 preamp or the RB-1070 amp or the Celestion speakers. Any thoughts? Is it an easily repairable thing? My Rotel equipment is less than two years old.

Thanks
        Swimmer
        Swimmer, frustrating when issues are intermittent and you're right, concerns about the speakers particularly seem warranted.

In thinking about this, I found myself wondering if the volume went directly, as in immediately, from the low level to the high level, or did you discern a gradual, albeit rapid and maybe even very rapid increase?

This is significant to my way of thinking because my first inclination, as "bigburner" points out, would be to suspect the processor is reacting to another signal coming from an unknown source but similar as your remote "Volume Up" signal would be sending. In that case, the volume would go up, but not immediately rather in steps (although, as stated, can be pretty quick).

I would play around with every other remote I have, first with the volume buttons and see if the processor responds, and then perhaps with the channel up and down buttons etc. etc. until you have satisfied yourself it is none of these. Then, consider other electronic devices you have that may emanate signals.

Also, I do believe Rotel processors will only receive infrared signals and not radio frequency, so the culprit might be some sort of device that is projecting an IR signal towards the front of your processor somehow....afraid it may be a process of elimination.

Hope that helps and that you resolve this frustrating issue.

Andy

PS - One more thought.....for a while, put a piece of electrical tape over your IR (eye) receiver lens on the front of your processor. If this stops the problem from happening, you might tentatively conclude that something is sending that IR signal to your processor without you knowing it. You'll have to get out of your chair to operate your processor for a bit, but might well be worth the inconvenience if it helps to identify the problem.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I agree with Anovak.......cover the IR receptor and see if the problem goes away!!. Something could be affecting the volume control via an IR signal....including the original Rotel remote. I had a similar problem like that with one of my other receivers!.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Anovak
            • Dec 2008

Any luck resolving volume spike issues?

Hey Swimmer,

Have you had any luck with the remedies proposed for your volume spikes? We'd be interested to know.

Thanks,

Andy

Comment

• Swimmerbird123
              • Apr 2010

Thanks for the responses. I've taken the unit to my Rotel dealer to get it checked out, and I will let you know how it turns out.

Following up some of the suggestions here: The volume change is instantaneous, not gradual, and sometimes it jumps back and forth a couple of times between the loud and regular volume as I dial it down after it happens. I've noticed too that when it happens, it is always within the first two minutes after I turn it on in the morning, so it may have something to do with warming up. The interconnects seem fine, and there is really only one remote control in use where I live (a universal remote).

Swimmer

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Swimmerbird123
                The volume change is instantaneous, not gradual,
                The volume change on my unit was gradual. By gradual I mean say 5 seconds to get from low volume to full volume. I sprang out of my chair so quickly it never got beyond 1 o'clock. I immediately rebooted the unit and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

Nigel.

Comment

• Swimmerbird123
                  • Apr 2010

Just to close out this episode, it turns out the volume control on my RC-1082 was faulty and was replaced by Rotel under warranty. It is working fine now. Thanks for the various suggestions though.

Swimmer

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"