X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

RSP-1068 Keeps Resetting to Default

I've had my 1068 for several years now. quite happy with it and have had no issues. On occasion since the beginning, it has reset itself to the default settings and then I have to go in and reset the Speaker Delay, Input Labels (DVD, TV, etc), Test Tone Volume, etc. Wasnt too much of a big deal because it probably happened maybe 2 or 3 times in over 6 years.

In the last maybe 9 months to a year, this has occurred several times (7 maybe?). In the past 2 weeks alone I've had to re-input my settings 3 times. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this? Its becoming a pain now since its occurring so frequently. Other than the occasional quick power out and back on during storms, I don't know what would cause this.

The other thing is that I can't even save a default setting. I thought this would help as I can just revert to my own default. but when I try to save a default, it asks me for a password. I don't recall if I've ever set a password of my own ( I dont think so) nor know if there is a Rotel Default PW that I can enter (1234?).

If it helps, I have the 1068 hooked up to a rotel RLC-1040. The 1068 is set to "Always on" but actually only turns on when I hit the power switch on the RLC-1040. This setting has always worked so I don't think this is an issue.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • function12
    • Oct 2007

I know there was a firmware update that addressed this. You might give that a try.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Bug was addressed in 1.28,

V1.27 to V1.28
      July 26, 2007
      Bug Fix (Critical): Improved memory backup software to resolve units losing memory when exposed to low AC line voltage (example: during power outages
      Though theoretically, the RLC-1040 should help prevent it from happening. What power setting is the 1040 set to, and do you see it tripping a lot?

Default password should be 0000, but usually when it defaults it will default any saved settings as well.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Thinking about it, turning the 1040 off and on could even be causing the issue. Hold mute down and see what version you are at.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Club1820
          I've had my 1068 for several years now. quite happy with it and have had no issues. On occasion since the beginning, it has reset itself to the default settings and then I have to go in and reset the Speaker Delay, Input Labels (DVD, TV, etc), Test Tone Volume, etc. Wasnt too much of a big deal because it probably happened maybe 2 or 3 times in over 6 years.

In the last maybe 9 months to a year, this has occurred several times (7 maybe?). In the past 2 weeks alone I've had to re-input my settings 3 times. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this? Its becoming a pain now since its occurring so frequently. Other than the occasional quick power out and back on during storms, I don't know what would cause this.

The other thing is that I can't even save a default setting. I thought this would help as I can just revert to my own default. but when I try to save a default, it asks me for a password. I don't recall if I've ever set a password of my own ( I dont think so) nor know if there is a Rotel Default PW that I can enter (1234?).

If it helps, I have the 1068 hooked up to a rotel RLC-1040. The 1068 is set to "Always on" but actually only turns on when I hit the power switch on the RLC-1040. This setting has always worked so I don't think this is an issue.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
          First thing I would do is write down all the settings so when this happens, you actually do not have to do the complete re-calibration but merely use your written down settings. The other thing I would do is leave the unit's power on all the time. There is an internal 'chip' that stays always on the 'keeps' the settings which is obviously failing. I believe it would require a repair that would cost more than it's worth to have it work (so long as leaving the unit on solves the problem!!).
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Club1820
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Bug was addressed in 1.28,

Though theoretically, the RLC-1040 should help prevent it from happening. What power setting is the 1040 set to, and do you see it tripping a lot?

Default password should be 0000, but usually when it defaults it will default any saved settings as well.

Kevin D.
            Driving me nuts. happening 1 or 2 a week now. My firmware apparently is 1.22 050304. How do I update the firmware? Thanks!
            Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Club1820
              Driving me nuts. happening 1 or 2 a week now. My firmware apparently is 1.22 050304. How do I update the firmware? Thanks!
              Go here:

Click Rotel, then RSP-1068.

Download the MTTY software, the new firmware, and instructions.

I'm not sure if the 1068 included the firmware cable or not. If not, you will need to make a DB9 to RJ45 cable, or purchase one through Rotel.

Pinout can be found here:

The upgrade cable is $4, part number CB00004

You will need a windows PC, preferably with a serial port. If not, most USB to serial adapters now a days should work.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
                • Jan 2006

So I'm finally getting around to going through the process of updating the firmware but I need to order the cable first. I found it on the B&W website, $4 just like you said. But I also found this on Amazon and was wondering if its the same thing. Not a big difference in price but since I need to order some school supplies for the kids, thought I just get it from Amazon if its the same cable. Would you be able to confirm its the same cable needed to do the update?

Thanks.

Cisco Console Cable RJ45-to-DB9

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Nope, I cross referenced both and the pin-out is different.

Seems crazy, but being in this industry you should see all the cables in my laptop bag. When dealing with RS232 and going from X to Y, there is no standard. Just hope you never get behind my bag going through x-ray at the airport.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
                    • Jan 2006

Too funny.
                    Well, the kids really needed their school supplies so I went ahead and ordered the cable from Amazon. Guess I'm out $2.50 !!!

I'll go ahead and order the cable from b&w and report back.
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"