X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Password Protected Folders

Any input on how to do that from our resident computer experts? It seems Windows doesn't allow for that since I think before XP but really, there has to be some way to require a password for access to sensitive folders on a shared drive. Right?

Any help.

The one sort of round about way I can think of would be to create a user called say "Private" with a password and then create a folder that only user "Private" could access but that just seems a Mickey Mouse way of doing it plus I'm unsure if I'm already logged in as "Jason" would it simply ask for a username/pass or would I have to log in as "Private"?
    Jason
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Windows file sharing doesn't support password protection on folders that I'm aware of. Even when setting up a share, you have to use user/group permissions.

Can you just have the folder set up so that only "Jason" (and/or other users that should) has access, and use passwords on the user accounts?

Actually, come to think of it, there is a way. You'd set up a user account with a password and give only that account access to the share. When a user that doesn't have access to the share connects, Windows will prompt for a user name/password, and if the user provides a valid one that has permission to the share, it will open that share in Explorer under that user.

What are you using to provide the shared folder? A Windows system, or Linux, or a NAS?

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yeah, that's basically my "Mickey Mouse" / "Private" scenario I posted. It just seems a clumsy, overly complicated way to do something that should really be quite simple...lol

The folder would be on my unRAID (Linux based) NAS via SMB shares accessed by a MS W8.1 PC (and assorted mobile/streaming devices).
      Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

This thread has some info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1312891

I still think it has to use a "user" along with a "password" though.

Maybe encrypt the files in the folder?

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Does it have to be on your PC? I think some cloud sites could work...
          Danish

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Yeah It's stuff on my NAS I'd prefer to keep local. Looks like Mickey Mouse it is :lol:
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"