X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dolsey01
    • Aug 2012

RB-990BX Left Channel Out

My RB-990BX amp just lost the left channel a few weeks ago after swapping out some speakers. It was playing fine and then just lost the left channel. I have pulled the cover and checked (but not replaced) the fuses and they look fine. I did buy it used and currently have $220 invested in it. It has been a good match with my Martin Logan electrostatics, I could not believe the difference in the bottom end and it made the top end a bit more laid back compared to my Onkyo 1008. So I do like it but my question is, should I invest another $200 to get it repaired by Rotel or cut my loses and just grab another since they a usually available for $200-300?
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I also own a 990.
    It was factory refurbished and now powers my surrounds.

I would advise you to buy new fuses for the entire unit and replace them all.
    I believe you can find the exact rating at the Rotel web site. If not, let us know & we will find the ratings for you.

Try the unit with a regular pair of speakers.
    See what happens.

Someone once used my 990 on a pair of electrostats and blew the right channel fuse. Turns out it was a fault with the speaker, not the amp.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dolsey01
      • Aug 2012

I'll stop by Rat Shack and grab some new fuses, it's worth the $5 to find out. It was actually Mirage OM10s that it went out on, not my MLs. Given the great condition of the amp, I think I will send it to Rotel if the fuses don't solve my issue. For $150-200 it's worth a shot and allot cheaper than a new one. I'm willing to bet, I could not tell a difference between my 990 and a new RB-1582. Only my wallet would notice.

Thanks!

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Not ripping on Rotel for repair....but if you are in the States, you might be better to check out vintagehifipgh.com. Tom is the owner of the local shop here in Pittsburgh, PA and he repaired my RB-1090 as with the cost of shipping and the price of the repair...it wasn't worth it sending it to Rotel.

He also does all the work on WKHanna's stuff as well... we both have very high trust in him to repair just about any piece of audio equipment he can get his hands on.

Might want to find out what the cost will be from him vs. sending it to a Rotel repair place.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• dolsey01
          • Aug 2012

I was hoping I might be able to drop it off since I'm in Massachusetts but I have not talked to them yet. I went to Radio Shack at lunch today and grabbed some new fuses so I'm going to swap them out tonight and see what happens, maybe I'll be lucky. If I do have to ship it, I'll check with Tom at Vintage Hi-Fi first.

Thanks!

Comment

• dolsey01
            • Aug 2012

I just wanted to say thanks, some new fuses and I'm back in business! Life is good!

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

AWESOME!!!!!! Can't beat that at all!!!
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Nuthed
                • Jan 2007

It's damn near always fuses when something like that happens, especially when it occured after swapping out some speakers.

That happened to me with a 980BX a few years ago. A trip to Radio Shack and I was all good. Glad it worked out for you. :T
                Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                RB980-BX driving mains
                Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                SVS PB-12

Comment

• dolsey01
                  • Aug 2012

I still can't believe the difference between my Rotel and a Parasound HCA-1000, the Rotel has so much more authority in the bottom end. I'm so glad to have it back up and running.

Comment

• wkhanna
                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Glad to hear you had an easy fix.

Re: sonic difference to an RB-1582……
                    Any differences would most likely be due to the age, wear & tear / hours on the components like electrolytic capacitors and such. If the 990 were to be fully refurbished I would estimate the differences to be V minor. The RB-1582 is the same basic circuit topography with some slightly higher/newer grade components.
                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Rotel would have easily charged you 300 bucks minimum to fix it. Good job!!
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"