X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

New RB-1080 and no left channel!

Today was supposed to be a happy day. I was supposed to take delivery of my subwoofer (FedEx didn't show) and I was supposed to start enjoying my new RB-1080. Well, neither happened!

I hooked the 1080 up correctly, powered everything on and got music out of the right channel, but not the left. I didn't panic. I checked everything again, no left channel. I changed from the top set of speaker terminals to the bottom set, no left channel. I changed my interconnects, no left channel. The amp is now lying lifeless on my family room floor and I'm a bit peeved.

I did not have the amp hooked up via the 12V trigger, which I guess has been a problem for others in the forum.

I've already e-mailed Rotel tech support. Any ideas from the Rotel Club? Am I experiencing the same problem that others in the forum were seeing w/ this amp?

Thanks,
    chris
    Christopher
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Probably just DOA. Sucks, but it does happen. Dealer should swap it out if they have another in stock, otherwise Rotel will advance replace the unit.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rotel&energy
      • May 2004

Kevin D.,

I hope it's just DOA. I'll try and run it up to the dealer on Sunday. They had to order this one, so let's hope they have another one in stock. I'll keep you guys posted.

ck
      Christopher

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

It seems like the fuses went out for the left channel, which some of us have experienced. Look in your box and see if there are replacement fuses and have the dealer put them in, that may repair your problem.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• pdr711
          • Sep 2004

I had the same problem. I hooked the 1080 up and no left channel. Took it back to the dealer. Lucky for me they have an inhouse tech dept. They replaced the internal fuse and two hours later I had it back home and hooked up. That was a month and a half ago. So far no more problems.

Dan

Comment

• rotel&energy
            • May 2004

Well, I dropped the amp off at the dealer yesterday and they had a look under the hood. The fuse for the left channel was blown, but a few other things were wrong as well. The technician thought the amp was probably damaged during shipment b/c the box was pretty beat up. They're ordering a new one for me. Hopefully, the new one will work properly.

waiting patiently,
            ck
            Christopher

Comment

• mpauline
              • Dec 2003

Same problem for me

Hi,

Two days ago I discovered the same problem with the left channel on my RMB 1080. I purchased mine about 6 months ago and it was working fine up until now. I sure hope that this is a one time event and that this will not be an ongoing problem with the amp in the future.

Anyone have ongoing problems with the internal fuse blowing in this amp? I am presuming this is the problem given the fact that I have taken the amp to the dealer yet.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

• JDH
                • Sep 2004

I have the same left channel problem this occured the other day with my RB-1080 that is less than 2 months old, is this a common problem with this amplifier or are we all just unlucky.

Otherwise what is being done to rectify the problem other than replacing fuses on a regular basis.
                Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

JDH, (and others),

Have a look at THIS THREAD Show it to your dealer if necessary - you should be able to solve the problem through some combination of:
                  1) Newer 8 amp Time release fuses (now standard fit)
                  2) Not using the Trigger.
                  It is a rare but known problem with certain speaker / speaker wire combinaitons and the start up current surge, especially with the Trigger...

I understand Rotel were working on a V4 (or 5) of the RB-1080 to address this issue and make some other changes (they were also looking at dropping the need for the ground pin via the use of a different grounding scheme - thus saving many hum issues where the RB-1080 was the first grounded item in a HT or stereo system and thus the lucky recipient of any earth leakage / ground loop issues from other components or the Cable system. I don't know if it is out yet or in what countries. Europe was the initial target and other 220 / 240 V countries who had the blown fuse problem more than the 110V countries for some reason....

Has anyone got a very new RB-1080 unit with no ground pin on the mains IEF Socket?

Geoff

Comment

• JDH
                    • Sep 2004

Geoff,

I wouldn't want to not be able to use the 12V trigger feature with the RB-1080. It is really up to Rotel to address the issue instead of asking customers to install higher rated fuses or loose the use of useful features such as the 12V trigger due to poor design.
                    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

According to my contact at Rotel they aren't planning on removing the ground pin on the 1080 amps though changes may be made in a future model which is maybe what Geoffs info refers to.

Comment

• Eiffel
                        • Aug 2003

I live in the UK and got a new RB-1080 unit with no ground pin on the mains IEC socket about two months ago. I have no hum problem, and the amp runs fairly cool (especially with no signal)...

Unfortunately, the trigger issue is still there... It happened to me twice in three weeks, and I've since decided to keep the unit on all the time (It wastes a bit of energy, but winter is coming, and it may mean that the amp is sounding better when I start using it... there's a silver lining in every could!)... What I can't get my arm around is why the left channel is the one everyone is having problem with. I would have thought these amplifiers were built in a 'symetrical' way, but that's obviously not the case...

Comment

• hired goon
                          • Aug 2004

G'day,

Just last night, I noticed that the front right channel of my RMB-1075 is no longer working. The speaker is fine, the other channels work, the pre-processor is fine, but there's no sound from that channel, and no red led flashing to indicate a problem, either.

Guess it's fortuitous that I'm trading it on Saturday for an RMB-1095. Or should that be "ominous"?

--Geoff

Comment

• H.Donald
                            • Aug 2004

I am about to do my basement over and since I must take everything apart...good time to upgrade.I have been using the 1075 and 1070 amps to run a 7.1 system with the rsp 1068.There are no hums,loss channels and everything works perfect.
                            I was thinking of getting a 1095 and maybe a 1080 also...but now with all these issues I may just stay put.A bird in the hand....hum in the bush...something like that...

Comment

• Adz
                              • Jan 2004

When I owned the 1080 and the 1095 I kept blowing fuses until I changed my speaker cable from the Monster Z-series to another brand. I don't believe it was a coincidence.
                              Adz

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2003

H.Donald,

I was thinking of getting a 1095 and maybe a 1080 also...but now with all these issues I may just stay put.A bird in the hand....hum in the bush...something like that...
                                Don't let this put you off.

1) THe Fuse issue is unique to the RB-1080 and very rare (Rotel "guestimate" less and 1 in 100). For example as of a month or so ago I was still the only Rotel customer in Perth with the issue out of dozens of RB-1080. It is annoying if you have it - but leaving the amp on works really well if you are unlucky enough to have the issue with your speaker and cable combination.
                                2) The 1095 (like the 1075) has a different amplifier architcture and lower damping factor and does not have the fuse issue.

Put it this way - I have one RB-1080 and get the fuse issue if I use the trigger - but I am planning to buy a second one to bi-amp my B&W HTM1 centre... The sound for the $ is just too good!

Geoff

Comment

• H.Donald
                                  • Aug 2004

Hmmm,thanks...food for thought.My project does not get started for another few weeks.I may pick up a 1095...dealer will give me full value trade in on the 1075.
                                  Later on I may come back to 7.1 and reconsider 1080.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2003

H.Donald,

100% trade-up one a 1095 sounds like a good deal to me. The 1095 is (IMO) signficantly better at drving all but easy speaker loads than the (very good) 1075. I'd have one now if it would fit in to my rack!

Re the 1080 there are two interesting options for you:
                                    a) Go all out and get the amazing RB-1090 instead (a further step up in sound quality)
                                    b) Get your dealer to do a full replacement swap guarantee if you are unlucky enough to have the fuse issue... (you will know within a month or two!)

Geoff

Comment

• mpauline
                                      • Dec 2003

Hi,

I dropped off my RB 1080 at the dealers to fix the likely fuse issue. I have always found Rotel to be an excellent company when it comes to customer service so I am sure that they will fix the problem promptly. I guess my only concern is that I will have to keep taking it in every few months to have the fuse replaced.

Mark

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                        • May 2004

update

My dealer called and the new RB-1080 came in. I had them hook it up and see if everything works properly before I drive an hour to pick it up. The new amp is working properly and both channels are pumping out the tunes. Let's hope it stays that way by the time I get it into my system. My hope is that my problem was caused by how the box was handled, not the amp itself. It's a new amp, so hopefully, it will have the newer fuses. I'll keep you guys posted on my results.

ck
                                        Christopher

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                          • May 2004

you've got to be kidding me

Update 2 - Brought the new amp back to the house and hooked it up. Triple checked all the settings and the connections to make sure I had it right. Turn on the cd player...no sound from the left channel. You've got to be kidding me right?!!

Here's my thinking - is it possible that the left channel of my pre-out section of my RSX-1055 is out? That's the only thing I can think of b/c the amp worked flawlessly for the dealer.

ck
                                          Christopher

Comment

• Kevin D
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

Well, it's either the output, the RCA cable, the speaker wire, or the speaker.. Best bet is too swap the RCA's around and see if the right speaker is now out (running on the left output). If it's still the left speaker, just go through the line reversing each item until you narrow it down..

I apologize as we should have suggested this in the first place.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Mitchell
                                              • Sep 2004

Well I guess I am the latest owner of a RB 1080 to have the left channel go out.
                                              I assume I cannot replace the internal fuse myself. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it voids warranty? I live in NYC where having to bring a heavy amp to a dealer is not an easy thing.
                                              If this is a continuing and non-solvable problem I will be quickly be getting rid of the Rotel. I believe that getting two channels to work for extended periods of time (years) should be considered a basic requirement of high end audio equipment and no matter how good it sounds (and it does sound good) this should not be a compromise on e has to make.
                                              Any suggestions would be welcome.
                                              Thanks
                                              Mitchell

Comment

• Adz
                                                • Jan 2004

As I mentioned above and perhaps I should repeat myself - assuming its not the output on your processor -- then it very well could be the speaker wire's interaction with the amp and the speaker. What type of speaker wire are you all using?

Mitchell - I believe Rotel N.A. once told me that opening up the box to replace the fuse will not necessarily invalidate the warranty. You could take it to any stereo repair type shop in the City and have them do it for about $50.
                                                Adz

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                  • Sep 2004

I am using all Rotel equipment. Pre is a 1070 and I have B&W 703 speakers. After reading the threads regarding the blown fuses I would dare anyone from Rotel to suggest that its anything but a 1080 problem. Only one person responded that they do not have a problem and thats because they dont use the 12v trigger.
                                                  I am using Monster Cable M series MI.4s biwire. While I know that people have their issues as to whether Monster is overpriced or not as good as other brands I havent heard anyone say that it is not high end cable.
                                                  To design an amp that is so picky it can only work with specific speaker cables is like designing a car to run on Exxon gasoline only.
                                                  If I sound upset its because after spending thousands on high end audio equipment I do not expect to spend time dealing with such a basic issue.
                                                  By the way this forum is great . If I hadnt been following it for a few months I would really be freaking out not knowing what it is.
                                                  I guess my main question is, If I replace the fuse and dont use the 12v trigger will the problem be solved?
                                                  I wont leave it on all the time but I dont mind hitting some extra buttons.
                                                  Mitchell

Comment

• Adz
                                                    • Jan 2004

Mitchell,

Read my first post - I also had Monster Speaker cable - Zseries and a very smart technician explained to me he was almost certain it was the Monster speaker cable. I changed it and never a problem again. He explained to me the scientific reasons why but it was beyond my understanding so I forgot what he said - I can call him and ask.
                                                    Adz

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                      • Sep 2004

How long has it been since you changed the speaker cable and had no blown fuses?
                                                      Did you also stop using the trigger at the same time? Could it be that?
                                                      I believe Aussie Geoff suggested that not using the trigger has been found to be a solution. Can anyone from Rotel confirm any of this stuff or do they still deny the problem?
                                                      Mitchell

Comment

• pdr711
                                                        • Sep 2004

Don't know if this helps any. My 1080 blew a fuse the 2nd day of operation. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. Dealer told me that there are many things that could trigger a blown fuse. i.e.( plugging/unplugging speaker or 12v trigger while amp power is on-this could cause a short and blow a fuse. Also he said do not turn amp on/off over and over in a short amount of time.)

When I hooked mine up the second time I made all connections and setup everything in the OSD, then I plugged the power cord in and turned power on. I also use a 12v trigger and it has not given me any more problems.

Dan

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                          • Sep 2004

How long have you gone without blowing a fuse?
                                                          Mitchell

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                            • Sep 2004

I have just bought a 1080 to complement my 1095, this fuse thing is worrying my a bit.

Having just breezed through this thread, does anyone that has had blown fuse problems have a dedicated power circuit? Just thinking aloud here, if the 1080 has a greater tendency to blow fuses when using the 12v trigger one would assume that with a couple or more devices turning on at the same time will cause a sag in the mains voltage, and possibly when the power ramps back it may cause a surge.
                                                            Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                              • Sep 2004

Thats a very interesting thought. Which would explain why Rotel does not show those issues at the factory where one would assume they have ample current.
                                                              Mitchell

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                • May 2004

ADZ,

I don't think anyone responded to your question about speaker wire types. I use the following:

Ixos XHS606 (15 AWG) for my front speakers (Energy C9s) and they are terminated w/ Ixos spade lugs.

Monster Navajo white (not proud of it) for my rears (Energy C3s) and center (Energy C-C1) terminated w/ generic banana plugs.

I'd also like to thank everyone for posting and adding their ideas, experiences. It definitely helps.

Late last night I did some troubleshooting. I hooked the amp up to a different preout (the rear) on my RSX1055 and still had no left channel. So, that means I switched the preout, switched the speaker wire, and still had the same problem. I tried to hook everything up to my Zone 2 and still had no left channel. Tonight, I'll try to switch my speaker connections (left for right) to check the speakers (they work fine connected to my receiver). I'll try other sources too (dvd, tuner, etc.). Shane from Rotel Tech Support has been very helpful and attentive. Man, I hope I can get this figured out b/c I REALLY want to hear this amp!

Chris
                                                                Christopher

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                                  • Sep 2004

How can I get in touch with Rotel tech support?
                                                                  Can you call them direct?
                                                                  Mitchell

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2004

Rotel tech support:

800-370-3741
                                                                    Christopher

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mitchell
                                                                      Thats a very interesting thought. Which would explain why Rotel does not show those issues at the factory where one would assume they have ample current.
                                                                      I was just thinking out loud as I said, and was curious to know what power circuits owners were utilising. Although I haven't used my 1080 yet until I get a new rack to house all the equipment, I was thinking of running a second dedicated circuit if this would help eliminate the problem.
                                                                      Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

An answer to 1080 fuse issue

I just came back from dropping off my 1080 at my dealer in NYC. They originally told me that they would replace the fuse while I waited. When I got there they told me the unit needed to go back to Rotel in MA for an upgrade to fix the problem.
                                                                        Apparantly they need to increase the fuse to 8 amp and swap some capacitors to match. All new1080's are shipping with this already in place. Hopefully Aussie Geoff will receive his already upgraded.
                                                                        My dealer Stereo Exchange in NYC say they have sold many 1080's and have few problem but one woman in particular 3 blown fuses on her 1080 since owning. I find it most interesting that it took my calling , explaining the problem showing them this forum to make it clear that its not just an isolated issue. They had to call Rotel to find out that there is an upgrade. Stereo Exchange is a pretty major NYC dealer as well. I just bring this up because perhaps Rotel should get do a better job of getting out the info. If I didnt say anything (or had not been a member of this forum) they would have replaced the fuse not known about the trigger relationship and I would have kept bringing it back time after time.
                                                                        Mitchell

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2004

still checking

Well, I swapped the RCA cable around and plugged the left output from the 1055 into the right input on the 1080 and got sound out of my left channel, but not out of the right. Sooooo, is it possible I have a preout problem in my 1055?
                                                                          Christopher

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                            • 202

Ive posted this elsewhere but people with 1080's should really see this so I'll post it again here:
                                                                            I just came back from dropping off my 1080 at my dealer in NYC. They originally told me that they would replace the fuse while I waited. When I got there they told me the unit needed to go back to Rotel in MA for an upgrade to fix the problem.
                                                                            Apparantly they need to increase the fuse to 8 amp and swap some capacitors to match. All new1080's are shipping with this already in place.
                                                                            My dealer Stereo Exchange in NYC say they have sold many 1080's and have few problem but one woman in particular 3 blown fuses on her 1080 since owning. I find it most interesting that it took my calling , explaining the problem showing them this forum to make it clear that its not just an isolated issue. They had to call Rotel to find out that there is an upgrade. Stereo Exchange is a pretty major NYC dealer as well. I just bring this up because perhaps Rotel should get do a better job of getting out the info. If I didnt say anything (or had not been a member of this forum) they would have replaced the fuse not known about the trigger relationship and I would have kept bringing it back time after time.

__________________
                                                                            Mitchell
                                                                            Mitchell

Comment

• rotel&energy
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2004
                                                                              • 104

#39
                                                                              the saga ends & i'm an idiot

Cross me off the list of people having problems with their RB-1080. As it turns out, yours truly is not so smart (or at least, not a good troubleshooter).

I started this thread when I wasn't getting sound out of my left channel. I returned the first amp and received a new one and had the same problem. I went about troubleshooting the problem w/ help from Shane at Rotel. First off, I'd like to say that Shane is great. He is very helpful and guided me through the troubleshooting process.

We had narrowed the problem down to the preouts on my RSX-1055 b/c I swapped the channels going into my amp and I got sound out of my left channel, but not the right.

Last night, I decided to check other sources and I noticed I was getting sound from BOTH channels w/ my DVD player, my tuner and my TV.

So, to make a long story short, I started swapping all my interconnects around until I realized it wasn't the 1080, it wasn't the 1055, it wasn't any of my sources...it was a bad interconnect I was using to get by until I received my order from Lex!!!! ops: It was a cheap-o interconnect I'd had for a very long time. I won't even get into why it was bad, but believe me when I say it was my fault. I guess I was trying so many other things that it didn't occur to me to eliminate this interconnect completely and try a different interconnect from another source. Once I did, everything rocked.

I have been humbled. :rofl:

chris
                                                                              Christopher

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 16507

#40
                                                                                "I have been humbled."

Welcome to the club...it happens to all of us sooner or later when you start playing around with these toys...there's just so many variables to factor in. I know I've had similar "doh" moments before ops:

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2004
                                                                                  • 183

#41
                                                                                  I have been nailed with a "doh" moment 3 times, the same issue. I just kept forgeting. I can gaurantee that I will not forget again though. After 3 times of ripping a system apart and checking every stinking cable and connection, I will not forget again. Needless to say that I felt very silly each and every time that I got nailed with my issue.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 202

#42
                                                                                    I talked to someone at Rotel today in tech support. I got a call back within a few hours and he was very upfront about the fuse issue.
                                                                                    Basically they dont know why its happening. They cant duplicate it in the shop but they have found that upgrading the fuses and some capacitors seems to solve the problem for good. According to Rotel it happens equally on the right and left side and effects approx. 1 percent of rb1080's out there.
                                                                                    I mentioned Spearmints idea about the trigger and power surge and it made sense to him. Rotel has commerical power supplies in the shop and a surge or spike would not likely happen. The upgrade will take approx 2 weeks once received at Rotel.
                                                                                    I must admit that while it annoyed me that I have to deal with this problem after only a few weeks of owning it, Rotels response and plan to fix it is reassuring.
                                                                                    Mitchell

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2004
                                                                                      • 202

#43
                                                                                      My 1080 is back exactly 2 weeks to the day that I brought it to the dealer with a blown right fuse. A quick turnaround by Rotel.
                                                                                      Supposedly the fuses and caps were upgraded. Its worked fine for 2 hours so far.
                                                                                      Hopefully this is the end of this issue.
                                                                                      Mitchell

Comment

• JDH
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2004
                                                                                        • 270

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Mitchell
                                                                                        My 1080 is back exactly 2 weeks to the day that I brought it to the dealer with a blown right fuse. A quick turnaround by Rotel.
                                                                                        Supposedly the fuses and caps were upgraded. Its worked fine for 2 hours so far.
                                                                                        Hopefully this is the end of this issue.
                                                                                        I had a blown left channel fuse in my 2 month old Rotel RB-1080 fixed under warranty about 2 weeks ago by the Australian Distributor, last night I lost the left channel again. On the warranty repair report it said they replaced the blown fuse with a replacement 6.3A 2AGT fuse, but no mention of anything else being done. Is this the correct replacement and repair method or should of something else of been fitted like the capacitors mentioned above.

I also own a RB-1070 and am currently using it in place of the RB-1080 until it is repaired, the RB-1070 amp does not suffer from blown left fuse issue so I can only assume from the number of other owners having the same problem that it is a design problem with the RB-1080.

Is there a specific fix offered by Rotel or are we expected to continue sending it back to the dealer for repair every few weeks?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2003
                                                                                          • 1914

#45
                                                                                          JDH,

There is a specific fix which is the new 8 amp fuse and the changes of some capacitors. If you speak to International Dynamics they can find the details out and pass on to your dealer or do this for you. It is a rare condition and relates to a specific set-up (ie the same amp in a different set-up will be fine). I've (so far) not had the change done (other than the 8 amp fuse) because I wanted to keep the amp at home. However If I had a replacemnt I would get it done in a heartbeat - it fixes the problem once and for all (or so they say!!)

Regards

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"