X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pager
    • Jun 2012

Rotel 1080

I have a Rotel 1080 amp which has behaved excellently until recently, when it started blowing fuses. The dealer replaced the fuses, it ran well at the store, but blew fuses again at home. A tech came out to the house, checked it out, blew the fuses. He said the problem MIGHT be a low voltage coming into the house, like 118V. In spec, but on the low side. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I'd bet there's something else wrong with the 1080 that went. I had the same sort of issue with my 1090 after a power surge hit the house. I replaced the surge board in the 1090 and still had to have it looked at by a local repair place and they found a couple resistors or something that had been damaged as well that was shorting things out. Nothing that could be seen except with the trained eye, which I did not have).

My guess is there's something else that's wrong vs low voltage...
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

You say the unit worked well at the shop?. For how long?. Did the shop run the unit under load (As in driving speakers)?. It's possible that there is something wrong power wise at the socket where you plug the unit in. Try using a power conditioner and plug the amp into a different socket to be safe.

It could always be what Pewter said above also. It's going to take some serious investigating here to track down the problem!!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Pager
        • Jun 2012

Thanks for the advice. Not knowing what a power conditioner is, I consulted Wikipaedia. What I understand is that it's some sort of combination of surge suppressor and voltage regulator. Question is: Will it accept a lowish voltage, i.e., my 118V, and output,say, 125V to the RB1080? If so, maybe that would solve the problem (if, that is, low voltage really is the problem).

Comment

• Gianluca
          • Oct 2008

118 is fine and so is 110. Thats not your problem.

Didn't 1080 have this issue, this is a common problem if memory is correct.

Maybe Glen will chime in..

Luca
          Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• hurin
            • Sep 2009

Had the same problem, it is caused by the 12v trigger. Not using it will solve the problem.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by hurin
              Had the same problem, it is caused by the 12v trigger. Not using it will solve the problem.

Yes...the 12 volt trigger is a known culprit with Rotel!!. 8O
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

My power conditioner often brings 116v back up to normal levels. I live in an apt tower with 356 units.
                Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR
                Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Pager
                  • Jun 2012

I wasn't using the 12V trigger, so that probably isn't the problem in this case. In any event, the dealer has sent the unit back to Rotel and they are going to replace several electronic items---capacitors, resistors, etc. Your replies helped me talk in a somewhat intelligent fashion with the dealer, so thanks for the input.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Not saying in this case the power was the issue , could have been might not have but

Having a good quality surge , line conditioner , voltage stabilizer is a huge value to any ones system. The worse thing you can do to electronics is give it bad or incorrect voltage. Brown outs are terrible on transformers and basically robs the life out of the components. Some more then others depending on sensitivity.
                    If you have HDMI anything , it's crazy how easy it will fail under less the ideal conditions.
                    I strongly suggest anyone who is building or owns a system to really do their homework in this topic. Why spend thousands of dollars building a beautiful system only to lose to to poor power conditions?
                    This is a very good place to make a wise investment. But I strongly suggest learning everything you can.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"